Fishing Figurine Construction Question

Decorating By stampinron Updated 18 Dec 2008 , 6:09am by knel

stampinron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stampinron Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 10:59pm
post #1 of 7

I have a fisher(wo)man that I am wondering how to attatch the fishing pole to. I have the body and the pole seperate now. The pole has a wire running through it to simulate fishing line.

Would RI or melted chocolate hold it in place? I don't have hands on the figurine yet either. I was thinking I'd first get the pole attatched and then make the hands so they wrap around the pole.

Am i doing this in the right order? How would you attatch this pole to the fisher(wo)man so it doesn't fall down?

6 replies
suz3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suz3 Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 11:12pm
post #2 of 7

I did something similar but my people were setting in a boat fishing. The pole was able to rest on their laps (which might have made it easier). I made the body first and then attached the arms. I put the pole on the lap with the hands holding it. For whatever reason, it worked. I hope I explained this okay. If you have any other questions I will be glad to try to answer them. Good luck!

gales Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gales Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 11:19pm
post #3 of 7

You haven't said what the figure and the pole are made of and what you want to attach them to. If you have made the figure from sugarpaste and you are wanting to attach it to a cake, would it be better dowelled? I understand what you mean about attaching the hands last if you are making them from sugarpaste, and I think you are right. The only experience I have of anything of this type is producing a figure dancing round a pole for an adult birthday cake. I attached the arms after everything else had been assembled and then the hands to the figure and the pole with a sugar glue once everything was dry. An extra strong glue can be made with sugarpaste, gum tragacanth, egg white or subsitute and water. Items glued need to be supported until dry. (CMC can be used as a substitute for gum trag if you haven't got gum trag).
Hope this makes sense and is of help.

stampinron Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 11:20pm
post #4 of 7

My person is going to be standing in the stream, so I don't have a lap to set it on.

But thanks anyway for your reply. That would have been easier, but it was requested that she be standing in the water.

suz3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suz3 Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 11:27pm
post #5 of 7

Maybe you could rest the pole on the waist of the figure and have the hands wrapped around the pole.

stampinron Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 5:55am
post #6 of 7

Yes, gp figurines.

So what is stronger when attatching 2 pieces...RI, Chocolate, Gum Glue, alternative????

Thank you so much for your input, you are all so much more knowledgable than me!

knel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knel Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 6:09am
post #7 of 7

ditto, Suz3

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%