Need Suggestions Please!!

Decorating By gwright0906 Updated 17 Dec 2008 , 6:19pm by korensmommy

gwright0906 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gwright0906 Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 2:59pm
post #1 of 18

Hello all...

I need to make golf balls for a cake tomorrow and I'm desperate for suggestions on how to do so. I found some molds online but don't have time to order them and I've already checked at all the local places I can think of. Can anybody give me any input on how to make them look decent without using a mold please...or if you know where I can buy the mold other than online??

Thanks in advance!
Gina

17 replies
CakesByJen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByJen2 Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 3:04pm
post #2 of 18

You can use a tiny ball tool to imprint the dimples in crusted buttercream or fondant. If you don't have a ball tool, you could use one of those pins that has a beaded head. For buttercream, you'll probably need to dip it into cornstarch. HTH

AlamoSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlamoSweets Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 3:08pm
post #3 of 18

What size are you needing? If they are for small decorations you can use a tablespoon measuring spoon to get 1/2 of a ball. However, there may be a problem getting the chocolate or MMF or whatever you are using out of it so think about lining it with plastic wrap so there is not problem of sticking. After you have them out you can use a wooden toothpick with the sharp point cut off or any tool you have to carefuly make the dimples. Hope this helps.

gwright0906 Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 3:30pm
post #4 of 18

I was wanting to do golf balls a little smaller than the real ones. I was going to use fondant/gumpaste but I'm worried they won't be round enough since I'd be doing it with my hands. Maybe I'll try the measuring spoon lined with plastic wrap and use the ball tool for the dimples.

Thanks for the input...wish me luck lol icon_biggrin.gif

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 3:30pm
post #5 of 18

how about cake balls? or just use a ball of marzipan, fondant, icing, or you can buy chocolate balls in supermarkets just now, like snowballs wrapped in foil. if u use fandant, u could wrap it in kitchen paper to get a pattern on it, or experiment with a tea towel (if will prob be more square than like a real golf ball, but u might like it!)
xx

gwright0906 Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 3:35pm
post #6 of 18

What are cake balls...can you tell I'm a newbie lol. I wonder if someone carries chocolate balls made with white chocolate so they will already be round?? My main concern is getting it good and round if I have to use my hands to make them.

LetThereBeCake07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LetThereBeCake07 Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 3:49pm
post #7 of 18

cake balls. Cake crubs mixed with liquid creamer then rolled onto balls and dipped in chocolate. But i think it would be hard to make into a golf ball.

what about reall golf balls? Ask the client to purchase them or reimburse you then the golf balls will be a keep sake for the recipient.

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 3:50pm
post #8 of 18

Lindt makes those white chocolate truffles, Lindor chocolates, I can get them in the candy aisle at the super market, Lindt also has stores at the mall. They are about 1 1/2 -2 inches in diameter. You might be able to get dimples into the chocolate too, white chocolate is pretty soft.

Good Luck!

gwright0906 Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 3:56pm
post #9 of 18

Thank you everyone for the ideas...surely I can come up with something now!

Have a great day!

liapsim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liapsim Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 4:10pm
post #10 of 18

I've done them out of fondant before and pushed the dimples into them with a gumpaste tool. worked great! good luck!

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 4:26pm
post #11 of 18

I like the idea of the pre-made truffles. They come in white chocolate as stated. You can re-dip them in white chocolate so you can add the dimpling.

CakesByJen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByJen2 Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 5:35pm
post #12 of 18

Hey, I just remember I have seen already made white chocolate truffle golf balls in the holiday candy aisle at either Easter or Christmas, or both. They sometimes come in a little box like new golf balls, or in a bucket like range balls. Good luck!

rockytop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rockytop Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 5:47pm
post #13 of 18

Have you tried a ice cream spoon. It will make half a ball depending on the size of spoon and the size you want.

Kay_NL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kay_NL Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 5:53pm
post #14 of 18

I made some with chocolate clay and rolled them with my hands. I used a sewing pin with the ball top to make the imprints. I thought they turned out good! The pic is in my folder, it is a 2 tier cake with a golfer on top, golf balls around the sides...

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 5:55pm
post #15 of 18

Make the balls out of fondant. Firm it in the fridge for a bit. Take a big plastic bag, fill with real golf balls. Take very firm ball from fridge, put in plastic bag with real balls. roll them around together gently. I bet that might work.....it's a stretch, but it might.

Kay_NL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kay_NL Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 6:05pm
post #16 of 18

I think that method would give the fondant golf balls bumps instead of dents...

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 6:11pm
post #17 of 18

Oh...yeah, huh. Duh. Really, it would probably only imprint the ring of the dimple, and nothing else. Eh....not a good idea I guess.

korensmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korensmommy Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 6:19pm
post #18 of 18

Ditto...check out my photos and I made golf balls for golf cupcakes.
I don't have a gumpaste tool so I'm sure I just found something in my kitchen to make the dimples with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liapsim

I've done them out of fondant before and pushed the dimples into them with a gumpaste tool. worked great! good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%