Decorating By patswifey Updated 17 Dec 2008 , 7:09am by all4cake

patswifey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patswifey Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 6:36am
post #1 of 2

I was asked by my boss if I could make a cake that looks like the paper Santa writes on, a scroll, with the rolled up edges on the top and curled under on the bottom. She would like it to be 'antiqued' and weathered looking. Does anyone have any suggestions as to HOW to do this? I figured a 1/2 sheet cake and I could carve the shape of the paper but I have no idea how to do the curves of the paper. She doesn't want any fondant on it..I thought I could BC the cake and put a layer of fondant over it and curl the edges and 'paint' it to give her the look she wanted but...I have no clue!! I am an amateur at best.. Any suggestions would be extremely helpful!! Thank you!!!

1 reply
all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 7:09am
post #2 of 2

the curves could be achieved by either carving them in(or out rather) or by forming them with stiffen b/c or additional cake to areas them icing as usual(as usual as one can do to a shaped cake anyway). If she doesn't want fondant, use rolled buttercream(incredibly stiffened b/c)...pinch the edges of the 'paper' and paint it as you had originally planned. if you're using a 1/2 sheet, maybe trim off sides to make a narrower 'list'...and use the trimmed off pieces to help build up curvy areas

Quote by @%username% on %date%