Present Tags?

Decorating By CakeMakar Updated 17 Dec 2008 , 5:50pm by CakeMakar

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 5:01pm
post #1 of 10

I have a request for a tag on a "present' cake.
I searched the threads here on CC and can't find what I'm looking for.
Once there were directions how to make a tag, and how to put typed writing on it. She wants a lot more written than I think I could pipe neatly, and my handwritings not that great to begin with.

I don't have an edible ink printer.

9 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 8:01pm
post #2 of 10

If the tag isn't going to be eatern you could print it on wafer paper with a regular printer and apply it to a gumpaste tag.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 10:46pm
post #3 of 10

I make a tag out of gumpaste. Be sure to cut a hole in it for the tie and then let it dry.

Don't get upset but I write on the tags with non-toxic fine point markers.

CakeMakar Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 10:51pm
post #4 of 10

What is wafer paper? How do you apply it?

Leahs, do you tell them not to eat it beforehand?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 3:56am
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeMakar

What is wafer paper? How do you apply it?

Leahs, do you tell them not to eat it beforehand?

Wafer paper is, well, wafer paper. You don't apply it. It's paper made from potato starch.

And heck no I don't tell them not to eat it. Why would I? The markers are non-toxic. Kids stick those things in their mouths all the time. It's not like the customer is sucking the color out of the marker. I just wrote a couple of words with it.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 2:41pm
post #6 of 10

Wafer paper is also called rice paper. Do a google search and you'll find it.

gr8cakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gr8cakemaker Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 2:53pm
post #7 of 10

Leahs thats a good idea, you can also use edible pens....you can get a 4 or 5 pack at wal-mart and the ink is meant to be eaten! The markers are in the sprinkles/baking isle. HTH

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 2:54pm
post #8 of 10

You could make a cookie tag and use food color decorating pens to write your message. When making a tag for a package cake, I use icing. I spread a layer of icing onto waxed paper (maybe 1/8" thick) and freeze it. Once frozen, I cut out the tag. Re-freeze so you can handle it, and place it on the cake.

AlamoSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlamoSweets Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 3:01pm
post #9 of 10

Contact your local bakers and ask if they can print something for you on edible paper. I have done it in the past when I was in a pinch and the Owner was so helpful and I emailed the images to him and he had them ready for me in the afternoon for approx. $1 each! All I had to do is cut them out and apply them with piping gel. Good luck!

CakeMakar Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 5:50pm
post #10 of 10

Oh, I know what rice paper is! I didn't ever think of sticking it in the printer....
How do you get it to stick to the gumpaste tag?

I think I'll do the markers and try to copy some artsy fartsy type from the web.

On the other hand, I'm really excited about this cake because I'm ordering the SPS to hold this baby up!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%