When Is A Good Time To Take Vacation????

Business By korkyo Updated 16 Dec 2008 , 7:35am by loriemoms

korkyo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korkyo Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 2:50am
post #1 of 10

I am trying to schedule our vacation for the summer. (yes, I know we are fortunate enough to even take vacation) We have a pop-up camper and just drive as far as we can. icon_smile.gif We usually get to take one week and another one that's only 4-5 days.

I'm guessing May and June are out. What about July and Aug?

It seemed like the ones I scheduled lasat year ended up being the ones everyone asked for. !!! arrghhhh!!!!

9 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 3:23am
post #2 of 10

You can look at your past few years sales history and see when your busy times are, and when they aren't, and just schedule it. When you get an inquiry for that week, you just have to tell 'em you're booked. And you are ... you're booked for vacation! icon_smile.gif

On an un-related but related topic, I looked at my sales numbers for 2008 just last night. What's odd is that 31% of my sales were the 6 months between April and Sept ..... my busiest months were Jan-Feb-Mar and Oct-Nov-Dec. I was shocked when I saw that. But at least I know I can probably plan some vacation time in July! icon_lol.gif

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 3:42am
post #3 of 10

We did ours first week of August this year and it was great. Turned down one wedding, but nothing else. It's too hot to get married then...

korkyo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korkyo Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 3:54am
post #4 of 10

I'm just now one year into the business so I don't have a lot of past history to go on.

August is a good idea, I don't mind the heat.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 2:44pm
post #5 of 10

My busiest months tend to vary from year to year.... I'm not sure if that happens with you, but you might check your past records and see if there is a pattern. You just have to go for it, you deserve a vacation!

Jen icon_smile.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 6:14pm
post #6 of 10

It doesn't really matter, you'll turn down business whenver you decide to go. Just go, don't put it off. I tend to take a vacation at the end of July or the beginning of August, because by then I need one!

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 6:30pm
post #7 of 10

Yeah, I'd say most importantly, just book it!

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 7:27pm
post #8 of 10

Whenever you feel like it. I've gone on several trips over the past year and a half and have managed to still keep the orders coming. If I'm not available for a certain date...I'm just not available.

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 1:25am
post #9 of 10

I agree... end of July, beginning of August.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 7:35am
post #10 of 10

Vacation? Ahhh....vacation.

I always take one in November because I NEED IT. But its too hot during the summer for me, I rather work. We also take our vacations in the winter time, I was HOPING to take one Jan but its looking too busy for consultations.

A little off subject, but what kind of popup you got? We had a Coleman Utah for about 6 years, COMPLETELY LOVED IT. We decided about 4 years ago to to a travel trailer. It is an Jayco Eagle, 32 feet. We keep it parked at Myrtle Beach, as the cost is about the same as keeping it in storage here, and we just jump in the car and GO after doing deliveries on a saturday. I keep it stocked with linens and basics and we hit the good ol bi lo when we get there! If it wasnt for that camper, I would never get vacation!! So I know the feeling when you want to hit the road and just relax!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%