Gumpaste Gift Bows?

Decorating By Kiddiekakes Updated 13 Dec 2008 , 7:59pm by sugarshack

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 3:56pm
post #1 of 4

Okay..I know how to make the bows but I have a few questions!

1. Do most of you make the bows as you are decorating the cakes or a couple days before..I see these bows with the tails nicely down the front of the cake and I wonder if the tails are done that day because they drape so nice?

2.I use straight fondant but I wonder if a 50/50 mix would not be better.

3.How in the world do you keep from smoothing or handling the pattern from the impression bows..I have tried and I end up smooshing the pattern smooth in some areas.

Thanks

Laurel thumbs_up.gif

3 replies
JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 4:00pm
post #2 of 4

I like to make my bows out of gumpaste. I feel you can get them thinner (with pasta machine) and they look more real.

If I have long tails, I put those on at the venue. If I'm doing a loopy bow, I put those together with royal icing a few days ahead. I like to use royal over choc. cuz you have some play time with it once it's all together.

I'm not sure what you are doing with the texture..... generally that is not a problem. But to try and help, we would have to see just how you are handling them.

Hope that helps you even a little icon_smile.gif

Jen icon_smile.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 4:07pm
post #3 of 4

Okay I'm going to ask a bow question I've had for a while now: You know those bows with either pearls on the edges or gold trim on the edges? How do you do that? For example if you have a fondant or gumpaste bow with gold trim on the edge and it's painted with lustre dust and Vodka, how do you paint it so the trim is even?? Or the pearls with pearl dust, are they pearlized before they are put on? (I've always wondered!) icon_rolleyes.gificon_biggrin.gif

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 7:59pm
post #4 of 4

yes, i due the little pearls before they are put on the sides of the bow loops.

you can just paint the gold on the edges with a steady hand. I have also done the following BUT it is NOT food safe and only did for family and we did not eat bow:

i put a piece of masking tape down the middle of the dried bow loops, painted the gold on the edges; let it dry and then pulled the tape off. ( like taping your walls before you paint them)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%