Need New Cookie Icing

Baking By 29apr00 Updated 11 Dec 2008 , 10:07pm by DsLady614

29apr00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
29apr00 Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 1:49am
post #1 of 16

right now i use Toba's Glace icing for my cookies because i like the taste, and the icing doesn't dry hard and chip when you bite it. but the problem that i am encountering is the icing is so thin, i can't do any piping or decorating with it.

I"ve heard good things about Antonia74's RI, but as a royal icing, it's going to be HARD when the cookie dry's, right?? I don't like that. icon_cry.gif Can i not get what i want? A good cookie icing that will dry good, but won't be hard as a rock when you bite it??

Jennifer

15 replies
Kim_in_CajunCountry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 1:53am
post #2 of 16

I have only used the Antonia74 recipe and people LOVE it! Since you only outline in full strength and flood with thinned icing, it is more like a glaze - just slightly harder. It doesn't form a hard "shell" like when you make flowers out of full strength, stiff royal icing.

Of course, it's best that you try it and form your own opinion. But I think you'll be presently surprised.

BTW - I add a little almond flavoring to mine.

29apr00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
29apr00 Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 2:09am
post #3 of 16

if it won't dry hard like the wilton royal icing flowers, i'll give it a shot!!

Thanks

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 2:19am
post #4 of 16

I too add almond flavoring & if you thin it down a little it's not hard. I love Antonia's ri & I make a 1/2 batch usually

l80bug79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
l80bug79 Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 4:32am
post #5 of 16

I was using antonia74's icing, but mine always was pretty hard when it dried. I got this recipe off here, but didn't write on my index card who's it was, so to whoever's recipe this is, thank you! it dries fairly quick and i've not had any problems with it bleeding colors. I just finished working on 12 dozen cookies tonight using this icing and i was able to put my 2nd layer of "piping" on after about an hour (i still let the flooding dry 24 hours before i start piping). It's very soft when you bite into it. I prefer this taste over antonia's. but of course that's all person al preference of taste. antonia's recipe was the first one I picked to use because it seemed to be what everyone was using. i've been using this one for a few months now.

1 lb 10x sugar
3 tbs meringue powder
4 tbs water
2 tbs clear vanilla
mix on low 7-10 minutes.

**I always make a double batch and ususally add about an extra 3 tbs (per double batch) of water to get it the piping consistancy i like and add extra water to my flooding RI until I get the "stream disappears quick" consistancy.

Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 9:42am
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by 29apr00

right now i use Toba's Glace icing for my cookies because i like the taste, and the icing doesn't dry hard and chip when you bite it. but the problem that i am encountering is the icing is so thin, i can't do any piping or decorating with it...

The recipe posted is her flood consistency. You need to add more powdered sugar to use it for piping/ outlining. Both bakinccc and Kneadacookie use it for decorating and their work is amazing.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 12:56pm
post #7 of 16

Ditto what Honeydukes said! I use this icing, and almost always add more powdered sugar. Lots more for outlining consistency! I also add some brite white food color when I mix up the icing, as this seems to help prevent the icing from spotting when it dries. I don't know why it makes a difference, but it does. It also helps give the icing a richer look when you add your color.

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 2:18pm
post #8 of 16

Just an FYI on Antonia74's RI when people say they might not be as thrilled with the taste. The meringue powder she uses has vanilla in it already. To get her equivalent, add van. extract or go almond, if you like that.

Melody25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melody25 Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 2:45pm
post #9 of 16

I always use Antonia74"s RI and it always goes over extremely well. If you make it right it doesn't get rock hard. A friend of mine gave me this recipe as well, its the one she uses all the time, but I haven't tried it yet.

1 cup confectioners' sugar
2 teaspoons milk
2 teaspoons light corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
assorted food coloring

In a small bowl, stir together confectioners' sugar and milk until smooth. Beat in corn syrup and almond extract until icing is smooth and glossy. If icing is too thick, add more corn syrup.

Divide into separate bowls, and add food colorings to each to desired intensity. Dip cookies, or paint them with a brush.

SweetDreamsAT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetDreamsAT Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 5:50pm
post #10 of 16

I use a RI icing recipe similar to antonia74's and add a couple of drops of glycerine for a slight sheen. One time, I accidentally added too much, and the icing stayed softer than usual. You might experiment with glycerine to see if that would do the trick.

cvigil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cvigil Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 7:23pm
post #11 of 16

So I have never tried Antonia's RIbut have heard good things about it. This is the recipe I use. I like it because it is great for detail, dries to stack but is still soft to the bite. This site also has a lot of great info and some cool products.

http://www.karenscookies.net/shop/recipes/info_11.html#recipe09

Mickeebabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mickeebabe Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 3:19am
post #12 of 16

How far in advance can you make RI? Where do you store it?

Can anyone also answer the same questions for me on the RBC too?

I'm making cookies for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day and it will be my first time using both RI and RBC. (I'm a bit nervous)

Thanks so much. icon_smile.gif

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 4:10am
post #13 of 16

Antonia's RI can be made well in advance. I think she said it'll sit at room temp for 1 mo. I've frozen it w/ success too & let it thaw at room temp---doesn't take long at all.

As for RBC I'll make it, cut out my shapes, freeze them to harden them & then layer them between wax paper in an airtight container & put back in the freezer. That way I'm not making cookie dough, RBC, RI cutting out, & decorating all in one day. If I'm going to be in a pinch for time I'll bake my cookies, freeze in an airtight container & reheat in a preheated oven for about 3 min. Also, color your RI the night before---air bubbles will rise to the top & the color will darken a bit. Then all you'll have to do the next day is decorate, which will take enough time. Good luck Mickeebabe!

Mickeebabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mickeebabe Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 7:43pm
post #14 of 16

Thank you. icon_smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelion56602

Antonia's RI can be made well in advance. I think she said it'll sit at room temp for 1 mo. I've frozen it w/ success too & let it thaw at room temp---doesn't take long at all.

As for RBC I'll make it, cut out my shapes, freeze them to harden them & then layer them between wax paper in an airtight container & put back in the freezer. That way I'm not making cookie dough, RBC, RI cutting out, & decorating all in one day. If I'm going to be in a pinch for time I'll bake my cookies, freeze in an airtight container & reheat in a preheated oven for about 3 min. Also, color your RI the night before---air bubbles will rise to the top & the color will darken a bit. Then all you'll have to do the next day is decorate, which will take enough time. Good luck Mickeebabe!

shiney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shiney Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 9:21pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyLH

Just an FYI on Antonia74's RI when people say they might not be as thrilled with the taste. The meringue powder she uses has vanilla in it already. To get her equivalent, add van. extract or go almond, if you like that.

I did not realize her MP had vanilla. I just thought it was missing from her recipe, so I add it to my batch. I then sometimes add lemon to yellow, strawberry to pink, etc. I also love using almond, folks seem to like that icon_smile.gif

DsLady614 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DsLady614 Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 10:07pm
post #16 of 16

I use a glace recipe as well, honestly I prefer it to RI. Just add more powdered sugar to get it to the consistency that you want. No need to really go completely different, just work with it until it does what you want it to.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%