Airbrushing Sugestions

Decorating By tripleD Updated 27 Dec 2008 , 2:12am by Ursula40

tripleD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripleD Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 3:12pm
post #1 of 9

hey cc friends, i need some help. i would like to learn to air brush. but i don't want to invest in a fancy airbrush before i learn how. any sugestions?

8 replies
Tita9499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tita9499 Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 5:48pm
post #2 of 9

DO you have any friends or family that own an airbrush machine? That's really the only way, you'll have to get your hands on one to get the feel of it. Either that or see if anyone offers a cake decorating class that focuses on airbrushing, though I've never heard of one, I'm sure they exist.
Good luck.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 7:59pm
post #3 of 9

Airbrushing takes practice and without the equiptment I don't know how you would learn. I took a class but had to have my own airbrush and compressor to take it. Sorry but I don't know of any other way to learn.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 8:02pm
post #4 of 9

Yup..Like everyone suggests..Unless you have one to practice with you can't really learn.I use mine almost every cake and over the last 3 years have gotten way better at control,pressure,shading etc...

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 8:04pm
post #5 of 9

I agree, you will need access to one to practice. I was "scared" of mine and didn't take it out of the box for months... then I began doing solid colors... now a couple of years later I do patterns, dots, writing, and multi-colors. I haven't taken a class or anything, I just got confident enough to do it I guess... practice makes perfect... I am not perfect yet, probably won't ever be so I have to practice... but I need to the tools. Maybe you could buy a used system on ebay, or go in with another caker on a kopykake system, or ask for a christmas or birthday present icon_smile.gif i got mine as a valentine's gift from dh, best piece of jewelry money bought!

JanetBme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanetBme Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 8:20pm
post #6 of 9

Airbrushes don't have to cost a ton to be good. It's really the compressor that costs the most. If you happen to have a tank compressor in your garage- then you can get a good brush for about $60.

If you don't have a compressor- and you want to go the cheaper route- then buy a tank compressor for your garage at walmart or something for about $60- right now I bet they have them on sale for xmas gifts for the hubby! You can also get an art compressor for less than $100 on line.

If you want to Learn airbrushing and need a teacher instead of a book- I noticed you are in Ohio- there is a beginner airbrushing class at "the art of the cake" show in Ohio in January. (if you take the class- it would be better if you had a art or airmaster compressor- because tank compressors are not as easily hauled around.

If you are one who goes outta the box and creates your own design- then an airbrush would really be great for you. If you tend to only do cakes you have seen-step by step- then an airbrush is probably not a good investment at this point.

tripleD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripleD Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 1:17am
post #7 of 9

woo!!hoo!!! got a airbrush for xmas! never thought my husband every paid attention. he likes CC also he love looking at everyone cakes..thanks

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 4:40am
post #8 of 9

Good for you, now you can start parcticing. Get some coloring books to practice with.

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 2:12am
post #9 of 9

Congrats, I got one too and now I have to do a lot of reading up on how to use it, no classes for cakes in China anywhere, and if there were, they's be in tthe wrong chinese dialect for me to understand anyway

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%