Topper Issue--What Would You Do?

Business By costumeczar Updated 13 Dec 2008 , 3:44pm by costumeczar

uschi1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
uschi1 Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 6:56pm
post #31 of 38

I just checked out the cake topper - HAHA.
Not something I'd put on my cake, but I think the one where the bride pulls the groom while he's sitting is worse.
I would take a picture of the cake without the topper and one with. Then you can add the one without the topper to your webpage, but still have a record of it with the topper for potential brides to look at.

ailika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ailika Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 7:06pm
post #32 of 38

I must agree with Luby, just make the cake you're getting paid for and let her deal with the topper, but do take a pic of the cake before she puts the topper on lol.

butterfly831915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly831915 Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 7:45pm
post #33 of 38

The sad thing is I've seen much worse. Maybe night the right cake topper for us but maybe it is for them. At least they look in love instead of her dragging him into it or keeping him from running. Really what is with those. Shouldn't be both wanting to get married not just one of them. I know some find it funny, guess I am the romantic and want it to all be love.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 4:54pm
post #34 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

I think there's not much we can say about it. I have done a few, where the cake topper was definitevely uggly. Some of them had a history, or used on parents weddings. I had one that had a mirror Eiffel tower, The cake was orange and blue.. No account for taste. The reason they did that?..Gator fans and they were going to Paris for the honeymoon.
http://webhosting.web.com/imagelib/sitebuilder/misc/show_image.html?linkedwidth=300&linkpath=http://www.designmeacake.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/newphotos1/.pond/gators.JPG.w300h452.jpg&target=tlx_pichjml
So you see, sometimes you can't fight the history of a couple, simply give them what they want and make their wishes come true..
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Oh my gosh, Edna. I LOVE your work and so I can't believe I'm saying this about one of your cakes, but that is one of the ugliest cakes I've ever seen! You executed it fabulously, but geesh.......

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 5:22pm
post #35 of 38

Ummm... tonedna, that is one fugly cake!!! nice job decorating (as always), but really fugly as a whole!!!

I don't know... I kinda think it's funny. I hate the others where the bride is dragging the groom into the marriage. That really gets me.

I was supposed to do one this summer with the fishing one, and just simply left the topper off. okay, long story short it was a 12" square with a PURPLE hat on it (whatever) and they wanted magnolias on it (whatever) AND the topper. whatever. Made the cake, did the hat, and decorated the cake with RI piping, and said "Gee... It looks so nice and understated, I wasn't sure if you really wanted the flowers and the topper or not. Here they are, I'll put them on if you REALLY want me to!" needless to say, they didn't. Yay me!!! You could try that approach...

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 12:00am
post #36 of 38

sorry, Edna, I LIKE your 'gator cake!

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 1:47pm
post #37 of 38

How about if you suggest the cake is too elegant for a funny topper, and the topper instead be placed on the cake cutting table?

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 3:44pm
post #38 of 38

At this point I just told her to keep the topper until the reception and to leave it on the cake table for me, and I'm hoping that she either changes her mind or that it gets lost in the shuffle!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%