Cookie Decoration Help Needed!!

Baking By cwattles Updated 6 Dec 2008 , 6:49pm by cwattles

cwattles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwattles Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 1:43am
post #1 of 4

I bake Christmas cookies every year, and my hubby wants me to bake some spritz cookies that his grandfather used to make. They're in the shape of a flower.

Here's the problem: He used something that looked like part of a red gumdrop to put in the center of each flower when he baked them. They were not round, but more of a square. My mother-in-law said she thought it was red hots, but my hubby says it wasn't.

Any ideas on what this mystery ingredient was?? Any help is greatly appreciated!

3 replies
antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 5:24am
post #2 of 4

Could it be red candied glace cherry or citrus peel? Like the kind you get as a red/yellow/orange mixture at the grocery store for adding to fruitcakes, etc? That would be square and gummy-like too. icon_smile.gif

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 5:46am
post #3 of 4

I have seen spritzes made w/ a red hot center. Could it have been s gumdrop snipped in 1/2? What was the flavor of the center, does he remember?

cwattles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwattles Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 6:49pm
post #4 of 4

He says it didn't have any flavor, and that it wasn't a gumdrop. He thinks that it could very well have been a candied glace cherry, like you were talking about, antonia74. Thanks so much for both of your suggestions!

Quote by @%username% on %date%