Sps

Decorating By lifonahil Updated 5 Dec 2008 , 6:57pm by lifonahil

lifonahil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lifonahil Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 5:26am
post #1 of 9

I was wondering if you use the sps system do you have to put a center dowel through the cake? And i am still a little confussed about why you put the whole in the center of the board? Plz help.

8 replies
bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 5:38am
post #2 of 9

If you don't get a response, pm Leahs. She's the expert on SPS, from what I understand.

Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 5:51am
post #3 of 9

With SPS you can't use a center dowel through the entire cake because the plates are on each tier (and they're solid).

The little hole in the bottom of the cardboard is so when you place it on the separator plate the peg in the plate goes into the hole, and I assume it's to help hold the cardboard in place. I've only used it once, but I was happy with it. I traveled about an hour with a stacked cake, then it traveled another 30 min. or so with no problems. It wasn't a big cake, but it still traveled fine.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 2:16pm
post #4 of 9

The above info is correct.

A center dowel is neither needed nor possible.

And the hole in the cardboard is so that the cardboard will then "seat" itself over the peg.

(So much for my skills with the online picture demo.)

IcedTea4Me2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IcedTea4Me2 Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 2:41pm
post #5 of 9

Speaking of traveling with an SPS cake, what is the largest cake you've traveled with sucessfully with this system? I mean fully assembled. I need to travel with a cake that will be three stacked layers a short distance - maybe a 10 minute drive. I'm trying to decide if I can do this. It's for my own wedding. The place I'm having the wedding will only let me in one hour before the ceremony. I think the idea is to discourage people from doing anything themselves. They want to do it all, cake included. I'm thinking if I can do the cake at home completely and just bring it and sit it down that I'll be okay. Most people think I should just let it go and eat their plain, uninteresting cake. UGH.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 3:04pm
post #6 of 9

I wouldn't think twice about bringing a 3 tiered cake fully assembled using sps.........you'll be fine as long as you can physically LIFT the cake all stacked!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 3:22pm
post #7 of 9

I've traveled with a fully assembled 4 tier. I don't know that I'd do it again, but that's totally due to the weight and carrying it.

But a 3 tier - "piece of cake" icon_smile.gif to transport fully assembled. A 6/9/12 is a little wider and you'll feel more stable with it, but a 6/8/10 works also.

Seriously, this system was developed for CONSUMERS to move assembled cakes.

IcedTea4Me2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IcedTea4Me2 Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 5:25pm
post #8 of 9

Thank you SO much for your replies! I'm feeling better about doing it myself despite the roadblocks!

thumbs_up.gif

lifonahil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lifonahil Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 6:57pm
post #9 of 9

Oh wow that explains everything. Thank you all so much for the great information. I can't wait to order the sps system.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%