Covering A Star Cake? Please Help!!!

Decorating By gd23 Updated 5 Dec 2008 , 3:36am by diamondsonblackvelvet13

gd23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gd23 Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 11:57pm
post #1 of 6

Hi, I have a 16 inch star cake that i need to cover with mmf...any tips on how to do this?

5 replies
nicolevoorhout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolevoorhout Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 12:04am
post #2 of 6

I've done a couple of stars and a very large one to boot, my tip is don't try to cover it all in one go, I put a piece on top and then used the bandage method to wrap the fondant round the sides you will likely need more than one so the inside points of the stars make a good cut off for this. Then I trimmed the top and used a rope border to cover the top edge (you can see both a white christening one and a blue birthday one in my pictures). You don't have to use rope you could use star cut outs or blossoms as well!

Hope that helps.

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 12:05am
post #3 of 6

Well, when I covered my Dallas star, I just took my time. Mostly it is going slow and being through. I rolled out one piece a little thicker than I normally would. This helped when I draped it to prevent tearing. Smooth the edges and points first then the top.

andiesweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andiesweet Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 12:15am
post #4 of 6

I have covered a few stars at work, I usually leave my fondant a little thicker. Roll it out bigger than you need, and start with the outer points first. use the palm of your hand cup around the point. I use a big brush to work it into the corners ( that is why I like it a little thicker) then smooth the top.

gd23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gd23 Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 12:36am
post #5 of 6

thanks for your advice everyone! much appreciated!

I just worry that my fondant will tear and be one huge mess!

andiesweet what do you mean by "I use a big brush to work it into the corners" ?

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 3:36am
post #6 of 6

gd, Prolly that she used the big brush to smooth the fondant into the corners instead of your fingers. Makes sense too. I had the HARDEST time getting my fingers into those crannies.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%