Best, Biggest Mixer W/o Going Commercial? Ci Test Results

Baking By TracyLH Updated 10 Nov 2009 , 3:39pm by amysue99

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 3:20pm
post #1 of 13

Okay, now we know that the NFSC can be doubled/tripled without compromising the dough thanks to Indydebi! I am hearing that others are looking at big mixers too, so at least I am not the only one trying to figure this out! icon_biggrin.gif There is the KA 600 (6 qt) and now I see a Cuisinart 7 qt. Cook's Illustrated loved the Cuisinart 5.5, but did not test the taller bowled 7 qt. Not so great reviews on the Viking 7 qt. I have attached the testing results.

So... does anyone have thoughts on a really good, large mixer without going commercial? I have seen responses on the KA 600, but if you have a different kind of big ol' mixer, what do you think of it?

(I promise this is the last posting on a mixer question!)

12 replies
seagoat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seagoat Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 3:40pm
post #2 of 13

I'm in the same department but thinking I need to look for the industrial. I would love to find a used countertop Hobart!! Although, I'm waiting (not willingly) for my small KA to kick the bucket.

..I would like to know what others think as well

TracyLH Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 4:54pm
post #3 of 13

I did just find someone asking about the Cuisinart 7 qt. mixer. Here is her posting, if she gets any responses:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-611579.html

Although I would prefer reviews from CC'ers on it, here are reviews I found for it on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/review/product/B000OYF3HM/ref=cm_cr_pr_link_1?%5Fencoding=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 12:35am
post #4 of 13

I have a 7qt Cuisinart and absolutley love it!

It mixes triple batches of MMF with no problems. I don't see it having a problem with large batches of cookie dough.

laurynrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laurynrn Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 9:58pm
post #5 of 13

I also have the 7 qt Cuisinart and LOVE it!!! I had a KA 5 qt but in less than 6 months got my Cuisinart on a really great deal through Kohl's that someone told us about on CC. I just made a double batch of NFSC today, it was a big flop-they spread all over, I'm too exhausted to try it without the baking powder today but that's my next move!

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 11:19pm
post #6 of 13

I was looking for a bigger mixer too and was looking at the cuisinart, it looked really nice. I have the K5 and I LOVE it but it's not big enough, so I was paging through the flyers after thanksgiving and my hubby misunderstood my intentions... so anyone want to venture a guess as to what I got for my birthday? icon_biggrin.gif Another K5... yea.. so I now have two perfectly good K5's, and they don't even match. The old one is matte gray and the new one is metallic gray. I don't know how to break it to him that I don't need two mixers and I just want one big one?!
I've heard bad things about the KitchenAid professional, the sugar dust blows the motor when it flies up out of the bowl... just my two cents

Lisabellemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisabellemarie Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 2:45am
post #7 of 13

I have the 6-quart KitchenAid, and I LOVE it - except I just broke the switch for the 2nd time in 3 years icon_cry.gif !! And what a bad time to break...do the kitchen fairies not realize it's almost Christmas?!?!?!

Anyway - love the mixer, though, and have never had a problem with the motor (though I can certainly make some sugar fly)! If I could just figure out what I'm doing to the switches, I would keep this mixer forever...

Peeverly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peeverly Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 12:06pm
post #8 of 13

I'd go with the Kitchen Aid. My Dad had an old one at his office and lab (concrete testing). They actually mixed concrete in it. The motor just would not die!

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 12:20pm
post #9 of 13

Peeverly~ what a funny commercial that would be for the KA....mixing cement with it and still going strong!!! Ha,ha.

TracyLH Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 3:18pm
post #10 of 13

Peeverly - Oh, that is funny!

sunnigirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunnigirl Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 2:47pm
post #11 of 13

Tracy LH - I just found this thread, my hubby wants to get me a larger mixer for Christmas, one that I can make a double batch of NFSC in.
My 5qt will barely handle a single batch.
I read over the reviews, then went to Amazon and read those.
Now I'm really confused. I want the KA but doubt it will be big enough.
Have you heard anything else or have any other suggestions since you posted last?
tks

cookiemookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemookie Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 3:25pm
post #12 of 13

I wish Kitchen Aid would just design an 8 or 10 quart mixer for home use, Darn It!!!

I have a professional 620 and a pro 6, plus an Artisan.

During the holidays(Christmas) I use all my mixers and it gets the job done. I use the Artisan only for mixing icing. The other two are for dough.

I keep the 620 and Artisan out all the time on my counters. The other 6 only comes up from the basement during Holiday baking season.

As far as your switch, did you try customer service? They are awesome with replacing stuff!

I've gotten three new mixers at different times because of a problem I was having with the speed switch.

Doesn't hurt to ask.

Tracy did that article just come out? I subscribe to that magazine and I can't believe I missed that article.

amysue99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysue99 Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 3:39pm
post #13 of 13

I have a Bosch Universal and it kicsk my KA's butt! It has a 6.5 qt capacity and 800 watts of power. It easily mixes up 2 recipes of my icing (6lbs sugar, 6 cups fat), 3 recips of the WASC, and 3 recipes of MMF (not at the same time, of course!). And, it handles smaller capacities just as well - no lumps even if I don't sift. Here is a link to the info:

http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/Bosch_Universal_Plus_Mixer_MUM6N10UC.aspx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%