Stacking Question

Decorating By Mom2ANC Updated 4 Dec 2008 , 11:16am by leah_s

Mom2ANC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mom2ANC Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 6:18am
post #1 of 4

When stacking a cake and using wooden dowels and cardboard rounds, is it necessary to cover the cardboard rounds with parchment or foil or something?
I have done it both ways and both times the cake has been OK, but I am wondering if one way is better.
On one hand, I would hate for the top tiers to slide around in transport, which seems more likely if the cardboard is covered for some reason, but if Idon't cover it, it seems like the board would get greasy and the cake would sink.
I dunno.

Pardon typos- I have already taken out my contact lenses for the night, but could not sleep because I was tossing and turning over this. When do I get to the point where I don't spend all my waking hours thinking about my current cake project?

3 replies
tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 6:47am
post #2 of 4

I always wrap my boards in decorator foil, all the way around. I'm always afraid the cardboards will get moist.

As far as cake projects, I'm still up at night (just like now. it's midnight) thinking about my cake projects. For me it's been 3 years. When I have no projects pending, I'm thinking about what I'd like to try next, and will one of my customers let me do it instead of the dreaded sheetcake.

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 7:02am
post #3 of 4

I use to cover each of my boards with foil and then I read on here that most people don't so I quit (just another expense that I can save on). So far I've had no issues.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 11:16am
post #4 of 4

Can I talk you into trying SPS?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%