Dragees

Decorating By cakepanpam Updated 8 Dec 2008 , 3:11am by cathie_shinnick

cakepanpam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakepanpam Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 3:35pm
post #1 of 17

Does any one know why silver dragees are not edible. I was wanting to make a project from a magazine and as I was reading the recipe I noticed that it said that dragees are not edible and were for decorative use only. I recently bought 2- one pound bottles of dragees at $19.99 per bottle and if I had noticed on the bottle saying that they were not edible I would not have bought them, and I did notice this morning that it does say that on the bottle. Who wants to go through all of that hard work of decorating a cake or cupcakes or cookies and then have to go back and take off all of those tiny things, not me! The only thing that I can figure is that they are not edible because of being to hard.

16 replies
msmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msmith Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 3:39pm
post #2 of 17

I don't know why they say they are not edible. I have been eating them since I was a kid! My grandma put them on all of her Christmas cookies! Maybe that's why I am the way I am?? icon_confused.gif

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 3:46pm
post #3 of 17

I've eaten them too.

Here is what I have read:
Dragees are classified as non-edible and for decoration only by the FDA in the United States because they contain minute quantities of heavy metals. However, they are non-toxic and safe for use on food and are considered edible in many countries outside of the U.S. where they are consumed on a variety of confections.

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 3:50pm
post #4 of 17

Dragees are edible, however, they have no nutritional value and are not good for your teeth. They pose a chocking hazard to small children.

KrissieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrissieCakes Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 3:50pm
post #5 of 17

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2003/12/23/MNGS03SUEM1.DTL

Take a look at this article about dragees. It is almost humerous the reason why they have that label on the bottle. I say, go on eating them! icon_smile.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 3:50pm
post #6 of 17

It's because of the metalic finish. They are said to be toxic however, you would have to consume pounds of them before they would hurt you.
Here's a quote from the internet: "The U.S. Food and Drug Administration considers the metallic-finish dragées to be inedible. Early in the 20th century, the silver finish may have contained mercury (it does not now). The sale of these dragées was banned for some time. Although the metallic-finish dragées can be purchased in 49 U.S. states, in California, they are no longer sold due to a 2003 lawsuit against several sellers. Now, these dragées are sold with a notice that they are for decorative purposes only. However in other countries (including the United Kingdom) they are classed as food items."

swoozie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swoozie Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 3:50pm
post #7 of 17

I have also read that to get enough of the metal in your system to do damage you would have to eat litetraly pounds of dragees.
but since they actually do contain metal the FDA says for dec only. some states have banned them ( ca)
I use them all the time. but I do tell customers they should remove them, if nothing else to preserve their teeth.
swoozie

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 3:51pm
post #8 of 17

My mother put them on cookies and cupcakes and I ate them. I'm fine! icon_biggrin.gif I would imagine that if someone downed a 2lb bottle at one time on a regular basis then there MIGHT be some concern. The FDA I guess has concerns about the silver/gold content in the dragees and possible side effects if consumed in a great amount. They are illegal for sale in some states.

I use them on all of my military cakes. Whether people eat them or not, I don't know. Just use them at your discretion.

Amy

lifonahil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lifonahil Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 5:21am
post #9 of 17

I heard you had to consume like 9lbs. Who eats that much.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 1:33pm
post #10 of 17

I don't even know where you get dragee's. Do they come in different colors?

cakepanpam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakepanpam Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 6:30pm
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

I get mine from my local bakery in here alabama. I have bought the silver and gold but I think I have seen other colors as well.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 7:41pm
post #12 of 17

Technically: not edible in the US.

My house: go right ahead.

Tita9499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tita9499 Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 11:19pm
post #13 of 17

I'm so glad I stumbled into this forum. I have a cake for a military ball next weekend and the theme is "A Night Under the Stars". I was going to accent the tiers with silver dragees, but freaked when I read that they were inedible. I remember as well, chomping on them and almost breaking my teeth when I was little. It makes so much sense reading your posts about the amount of dragees that would poision you.
Question though, does anyone think it would be a good idea to put a little notice next to the cake to watch out for chewing them so no one jacks up their teeth and tries to sue me?

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 9:03pm
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakepanpam

Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

I get mine from my local bakery in here alabama. I have bought the silver and gold but I think I have seen other colors as well.

Thanks Cakepanpam! I will have to go and look for them!! I always see cute cake pictures with dragee's and I always want to put them on there. So hopefully I'll be able to find some and do so!

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 2:59am
post #15 of 17

You can buy dragees in many colours. I have seen them on different sites in silver, gold, single "pastel" colours (like pink, blue, etc.), and in a rainbow mixture. They also come in many sizes from tiny to quite large. We have no restrictions or warnings on them here in Canada, so they are for sale all over the place.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 11:48pm
post #16 of 17

I would not put out a notice by the cake... yes they are firm but I have never heard of anyone actually breaking anything on them. They really are just sugar on the inside after all.

cathie_shinnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathie_shinnick Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 3:11am
post #17 of 17

I always use silver and gold, and have been eating them on cookies since I was a kid.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%