Need Advice, Should I Use Rolled Buttercream Or Mmf?

Decorating By drowninginfondant Updated 1 Dec 2008 , 11:27pm by BlakesCakes

drowninginfondant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drowninginfondant Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 4:30pm
post #1 of 6

I am making football jersies to sit on top of two dogs iced with buttercream. I love working with MMF but I don't like the texture when eating it. Flavor is great but not texture. Would anyone suggest using rolled buttercream? I've never worked with it but wondered if the texture was different than MMF? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Angie

5 replies
cakedivamommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedivamommy Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 10:36pm
post #2 of 6

I myself have never worked with RBC but I have heard it is a nightmare to work with. I personally love MMF and would use that since I was comfortable with it. Here is a bump hoping someone else has an answer to your question!

drowninginfondant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drowninginfondant Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 10:47pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks for the reply.

jjkarm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjkarm Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 11:00pm
post #4 of 6

I tried using RBC just one time.....and that was enough! thumbsdown.gif It was a greasy slimy mess. It does taste more like buttercream, and it doesn't have the chewy texture of fondant. But it also tears more easily. So maybe I'd use it on cookies but not on a cake.

DancingCakes2008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DancingCakes2008 Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 11:06pm
post #5 of 6

My very first wedding cake (decorated cake for that matter) I used rolled buttercream. I love the flavor.

Some of the differences are:

Rolled buttercream is a less sturdy than MMF. You have to be more gentle with it (the actual covering of the cake). The cake I did was for my sisters wedding. It was 4 tiers with flowers under the top 2 tiers. It held up well on the cake.

It also has a shinier texture the mmf.

You need to roll it a little thicker than mmf.

Hope this is understandable.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 11:27pm
post #6 of 6

RBC has it's own peculiarities, just like MMF, Wilton, Satin Ice, Choco-pan, etc., and once you get used to working with it in certain ways, it can do certain jobs very well.

I roll out sheets of it between 2 sheets of parchment paper. I refrigerate, or freeze it, for a short time, cut out the basic size and shape of the item to be covered, and then drape that shape over the item. As it's warming up, I gently press it onto the item. If it tears, it's self healing with the warmth of your hand (gotta' love that!). I buff it with some CS or PS on my hands--this also causes it to form a light crust. done this way, you can roll it thinner and have quick success using it on odd shapes like balls or sculpted cakes.

HTH
Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%