Edible Image Question

Decorating By Kaique Updated 1 Dec 2008 , 8:20pm by Joanne1944

Kaique Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaique Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 4:01pm
post #1 of 7

Hi, sorry if this has been covered already. I did a search but couldn't find an answer for my specific question. I want to print an edible image - thought I would have to buy an edible image printer, but I just looked online and discovered that you can buy edible frosting sheets and ink for your own printer? Before buying them I wondered if anyone had done this before - is it safe? It seems questionable to me to use it on a printer where real ink has been used. Also what is the quality like?

Thanks for your help in advance.[/u]

6 replies
Boofycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Boofycakes Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 4:23pm
post #2 of 7

I dont have either one of these, but I agree with you about using your own printer. It would save you in costs, but I would be concerned about how sanitary it is. My opinion is to get the regular edible image printer. I also think you run the risk that if you buy the inks for your home printer that the cartridges might not fit with your model. Returning online purchases is such a pain in the butt, and inconvenient if the item is something you need right away!

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 4:28pm
post #3 of 7

Kaique - NEVER EVER use a printer that has been used with regular ink for your edible images. Your sheets will be contaminated and therefore pose a health risk. Only use a select printer that has never been used before and replace the cartridges with edible ink cartridges. There are some Cannon and Epson printers that work very well for edible images. I have the Epson CX4800 and it works great. You can go to kopykake.com and you can find a list of printers that work for edible images.

Linliv46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Linliv46 Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 4:32pm
post #4 of 7

Agree with Butternut! Never use a printer that has been used with regular ink! thumbs_up.gif

Kaique Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaique Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 7:42pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks for the advice everyone! I had a feeling it wasn't a good idea... But reading Kopykake's website, I got the impression that it was OK to change the cartridges on your existing printer. Maybe I didn't read carefully enough. But even if they said it was safe, I don't think I'd do it anyway. I'm too afraid of contamination.

I think I'll just buy a separate printer!

Thanks again!!

Galler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Galler Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 8:05pm
post #6 of 7

I get my edible images from my grocery store bakery for $5 for a 8x10 sheet. I've been to Shoppers, Giant and Safeway. I bring in a copy of the photo and they scan it in and print it for me. I don't have a big request for them so I didn't want to invest in the printer and all the stuff. (I live in VA)

Go into the bakery and if they do cakes with edible images...which most of them do now days...they should be able to help you...just make sure to ask for the manager.

Joanne1944 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joanne1944 Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 8:20pm
post #7 of 7

I order my edible images from www.homemadecookiesandfudge.com
They have great prices and lots of different options. Prices are good and shipping is fast. I just email my photo or design and they take care of everything else.

Quote by @%username% on %date%