Getting Paid For Wedding Cake - But $10.00 Short!

Business By KieslerKakes Updated 3 Dec 2008 , 7:34pm by tiggy2

KieslerKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KieslerKakes Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 2:44pm
post #1 of 20

I did a wedding cake and delivered it on Friday Nov. 28th. I asked for $150 for the cake. Cake mix was chocolate and white checkerboard with the same colors for fondant. See picture attached. The wedding was at 4:00PM and I had to be there at 1:00PM for setup. All I did was move the cake from my car to the kitchen were the wedding was taking place. I was told on Tuesday Nov. 25th an envelope with a check in it would be waiting for me. When I got there only the wedding planner was there. The bride showed up 30 minutes later, I never talked to her. The wedding planner asked her for my money and she said she forgot the check and someone had gone to pick it up. I waited another 30 minutes, meanwhile the mother of the bride came in. She was from Georgia and I had never talked with her only the daughter, when asked about my check I told her the story and she went to get ready for pictures. I waited another 20 minutes and said I'm asking her for another check, the wedding planner had allready read my mind and went to get it himself. When I got to my car the check was for $140. I don't have the mothers phone number, but I have the brides. Should I contact the bride or try to find the mother to get my $10 or just forget it?

19 replies
Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 2:54pm
post #2 of 20

It's really up to you. But I always count payment right in front of the client just to make sure there are no discrepancies. Personally, since you didn't do that, if it were me I would just forget it. But that's just me.

Sorry that happened to you. Enjoy your day!)

liapsim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liapsim Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 3:05pm
post #3 of 20

I'm with Eisskween. I always check the amount in front of the person, as well as have an invoice for them. I know a lot of people don't do the invoice but I either email or mail it to them a week after consultation (showing deposit applied) and then I send them one about 3 days before the event with the balance, and then walk in with one again. I know it sounds neurotic but they can never say they forgot the amount.

So if it were me, I would just forget it. Sorry it happened!

susanscakebabies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakebabies Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 3:05pm
post #4 of 20

I hate to say i agree with Eisskween
I would be uncofortable anyway asking at that point. The percentage of loss is minimal. You have to decide if it is worth it or not.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 3:23pm
post #5 of 20

I think I'd mail an invoice, noting a balance due. But that's me.

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 3:24pm
post #6 of 20

my question is why was the cake only $150? it looks like it feeds quite a few...

tonicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonicake Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 3:26pm
post #7 of 20

I agree with Leahs. I'd mail an invoice, too.

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 3:29pm
post #8 of 20

My first thought is, you didn't charge enough! icon_biggrin.gif That cake is gorgeous!

I agee with Leahs, send her an invoice and see if she pays it. I wouldn't pursue it beyond that though, since it's only $10 and not really worth the effort. Keep it on file though in case she ever orders another cake.

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 3:29pm
post #9 of 20

I would send her an invoice showing balance owed.

I always get my full balance 4 weeks before the wedding and I have a contract that they sign. I also charge a $50 late fee if payment is made late and my contract states that if no payment is recieved then no cake will be made and the $50 deposit is not refundable.

KieslerKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KieslerKakes Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 6:19pm
post #10 of 20

Thanks for your suggestions. I'm going to chalk this up as a business learning experience.

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 6:38pm
post #11 of 20

That really sucks. Sheesh, they knew you need the exact amount. What, as if giving you your whole amount minus $10 bucks was a statement...of what? That I don't have another $10 bucks in my checking account! Well, some people. icon_confused.gif

Your cake is absolutely gorgeous and I'll bet it took a ton of work, especially checkerboard! The chocolate icing came out so perfect. icon_smile.gif

cakesondemand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesondemand Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 7:06pm
post #12 of 20

Are you kidding me $150 for that cake it should have been more like $400+ boy they got a deal and couldnt even pay you the full amount. I always have payment 4 weeks before and will not even drop the cake off until its paid for and in cash if thy are that late with pmt. that one awsome cake dont undercharge yourself.

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 7:22pm
post #13 of 20

$150 for that cake? You have to be kidding me. It must have cost you more than that to make the cake!

The cake is lovely. What is with these couples that choose gorgeous cakes and then ruin the whole effect with butt-ugly toppers?

butterfly831915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly831915 Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 7:23pm
post #14 of 20

I would chalk it up to lesson learned. That cake was worth way more than that. Don't sell yourself short. That was awesome...

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 7:27pm
post #15 of 20

I agree with Leah, send her an invoice. I also agree with what Bronwen Weber said when I took her class. "Ladies, (and gents) CHARGE for your cakes!"

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 11:38pm
post #16 of 20

After being burned a couple of times with brides and trying to collect on the event day, I learned that you never wait for payment till the day of the wedding.

I now have a policy that any cake under $400 must be paid for at the time the order is placed. Over $400 they pay a $200 non-refundable booking fee and the balance is due 2 weeks prior to the event. They get one courtesy phone call if payment not received on the due date. If they don't pay the balance within 48 hours of the courtesy call the order is cancelled. I reiterate that fact during the courtesy call, and they sign a contract stating they understand my payment, no refund, and cancellation policies.

Sorry this happened but I would send her an invoice, don't call just mail her an invoice and do so every 30 days until she pays, adding a small interest charge for each 30 day increment of non payment. If she doesn't respond with in 90 days turn it over to a collection agency.

Beckalita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckalita Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 11:54pm
post #17 of 20

Live and learn!! Take cakesondemand's advice and NEVER deliver a wedding cake again without being paid in advance. My policy is similar to hers, wedding/tiered cakes must be paid in FULL two weeks prior to the event or NO CAKE will be made. Some bakers require advance payment for every cake order to avoid problems with customers not showing up to pick up their orders...
Anyhow, that said ~ it's up to you if you want to chase down the $10.
(And yes, you undercharged ~ they really should owe you at least another $100!)

Beckalita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckalita Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 11:58pm
post #18 of 20

Live and learn!! Take cakesondemand's advice and NEVER deliver a wedding cake again without being paid in advance. My policy is similar to hers, wedding/tiered cakes must be paid in FULL two weeks prior to the event or NO CAKE will be made. Some bakers require advance payment for every cake order to avoid problems with customers not showing up to pick up their orders...
Anyhow, that said ~ it's up to you if you want to chase down the $10.
(And yes, you undercharged ~ they really should owe you at least another $100!)

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 3:18pm
post #19 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

I think I'd mail an invoice, noting a balance due. But that's me.

Ditto. Mail an invoice noting the original total, note the $140 installment and request the $10 balance due.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 7:34pm
post #20 of 20

I'd send her an invoice for the $10 plus a $20 late fee. She got a great deal on that cake and then stiffed you for 10 bucks.....sheesh.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%