Mile High Tiers

Decorating By niccicola Updated 29 Nov 2008 , 2:10pm by niccicola

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 2:56am
post #1 of 5

I have a wedding cake to do in August '09. The bride wants 6" 8" 10" and 12" square, 6" tall tiers, covered in fondant.

what support system would you recommend using to hold all that weight? I was thinking dowel rodding would work? yea/nay?

Thanks!

4 replies
slopokesgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slopokesgirl Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 3:14am
post #2 of 5

That would work, just be sure to space them out properly and to assemble on site. You can place the dowels in the tiers when you make them so that you don't have to cut them on site. But to transport an assembled cake would only bring on panic attacks.

Good luck. I'm sure you'll do a wonderful job!!!

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 4:19am
post #3 of 5

Whoa thats a heavy cake..... def assemble on site. also a hint: make each layer TWO 3" tall cakes with cardboard and doweling in between and just ice up as one cake. Much sturdier and pieces are easier to slice, count, and serve.

AlamoSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlamoSweets Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 4:24am
post #4 of 5

I have one suggestion. Invest in an inexpensive level. I use mine all the time when cutting my straws or dowels to make sure everything is level.

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 2:10pm
post #5 of 5

WOW! Great ideas, ladies! thanks a lot!

I was planning on making 2 3" cakes for each tier, but i love the idea of putting each 3" on it's own cardboard and doweling within each tier. I didn't even think about that!

Yes, I've already decided to assemble on site and dowel the cake before I leave that afternoon! LOL-it's a 57 mile journey to the event location. I've got 10 months to work out the kinks-whatever helps lessen the stresses of delivery!!

Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%