About Whimsical Bake House Cake Recipe!!!

Decorating By farmom3 Updated 26 Nov 2008 , 5:42pm by stephaniescakenj

farmom3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
farmom3 Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 2:55am
post #1 of 8

hello everybody, today I bake 2 cake from that book and both came out not good at all and i freez them like always but now i look at them thay are hard as a rock.I don't know what is wrong ,I read about this book and I know lots of poeple like it ,that was my first time useing thise recipe.
anybody know what can I do with these cakes??? or maybe I have to bake 2 more cakes icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif
please help this is for our thanksgiving cake icon_redface.gif
thanks

7 replies
Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 3:02am
post #2 of 8

I made the spice cake from that book and it was wonderful. Scratch cakes are more dense than a box cake mix which is fluffy. Shouldn't be like a rock, however.

bakingagain Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingagain Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 3:29am
post #3 of 8

I have heard others say they have had the same problem with those recipes. I once made a cupcake recipe where the first time the recipe came out awesome, the second time they were hard as a rock . The difference- the first time I weighed the flour, the second time I scooped it. I have found that the authors of cookbooks usually tell you somewhere in the front which method they use. I try to find recipes now that include weights, and I have had much better luck with my cakes

farmom3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
farmom3 Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 3:38am
post #4 of 8

oh thanks I made Walnut caramel cake and lemon ginger cream cheese pound cake,is that any thing I can do with thise cakes like syrop or .....
I don't want to put them in the garbeg, they smell so good icon_sad.gif

farizahani Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
farizahani Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 11:18am
post #5 of 8

i have made their chocolate cake with oreo filling and orange butter cake with orange mousse,it come out delicious and moist.everyone love it.i will try to make the walnut cake and will let u know the outcome

kendi25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kendi25 Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 11:32am
post #6 of 8

Could be that you overbeat the mix. And, the type of flour is as crucial as the time you beat. What I normally do and I learnt from Seriouscakes is hand mix that last of my batter mixing with a whisk. It is painful, but, worth it. I usually mix my pound cake batters from WBH about 2 days before, seal and freese, bring to room temp, quick stir and bake. Talk about moist and great.
I do not know how hard it is. Is it totally defrosted?
So sorry, but I think it is a great book.

HTH
Kendi

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 2:18pm
post #7 of 8

I've tried most of their cakes, and I've never had a problem with any of them. The texture is definitely not as tender and light as a box cake, but they are good. Maybe you read a measurement wrong or something.

I'd just break the cake up and make a trifle with it, or cake balls.

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 5:42pm
post #8 of 8

I've made both, they are definitely denser and a little drier than say a boxed mix or even a scratch cake that calls for oil vs. butter. it all depends on what you're used to, I personally prefer oil based cakes because they are lighter. I didn't really care for the walnut one, the lemon one, I made it with rasberry filling and it was pretty good but not worth searching for the ginger and the added cost of it. I would suggest making cake balls with it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%