Who Uses Butter In Pie Crust? Need Help Asap!

Decorating By Callyssa Updated 27 Nov 2008 , 3:37pm by FromScratch

Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 25 Nov 2008 , 8:10pm
post #1 of 19

I need help so quickly because the site is running okay right now but I'm afraid it won't be again later, and I really need some opinions.

I've always just used Crisco in my pie crust, but I recently saw Martha Stewart using all butter in hers; I'm sure it would taste better, but how are the results? Is the crust more/less flaky? I'd really rather try it with butter, so if anyone can give me their opinions I would be so thankful!

18 replies
nanikins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanikins Posted 25 Nov 2008 , 8:18pm
post #2 of 19

I've used her recipe for the food processor - it has butter. It turned out flaky and tender. I was really happy with it and it's what I use now...when I actually make a pie, that is.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 25 Nov 2008 , 8:19pm
post #3 of 19

I tried an all butter crust recently and it got rave reviews!

The only thing is I did not refrigerate overnight per instructions (or at least four hours) and I found the crust "melted" in the oven (sagged)...so the sides were not nice and gorgeously done crimps, but my friends who ate the pie said the crust was wonderful.

Callyssa Posted 25 Nov 2008 , 8:21pm
post #4 of 19

ooohhhh,........I forgot, she had her own recipe, didn't she? I was planning on just subbing in butter for the Crisco in my own recipe...I wonder if that would work or not?

Would you mind sharing her recipe if you still have it? I can't remember what all it had in it. Thank you so much!

sweetcakes1107 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes1107 Posted 25 Nov 2008 , 8:24pm
post #5 of 19

I'm going to try half butter and half crisco this year. I was reading an article that recommened it. It said it would make a flaky and delicious crust. We'll seeicon_smile.gif

njusaguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
njusaguy Posted 25 Nov 2008 , 8:25pm
post #6 of 19

I use a combo of butter for flavor and shortening (Crisco) for flakiness. Try Carole Walter's Flaky Pie Pastry recipe in her book Great Pies and Tarts. It uses 3 parts butter to 2 parts shortening. People LOVE it when I make a pie.

nanikins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanikins Posted 25 Nov 2008 , 8:43pm
post #7 of 19
Callyssa Posted 25 Nov 2008 , 8:44pm
post #8 of 19

I didn't think about the crust not holding it's shape; maybe I'll try a mixture of both.

On to a different question then; has anyone used hi-ratio shortening in pie crust, and if so, does it perform differently, or better, than regular shortening? I just got 50 lbs. of Sweetex and buying it this way is actually less expensive than getting the off brand store shortenings with trans fats.

doitallmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doitallmom Posted 25 Nov 2008 , 8:51pm
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callyssa

ooohhhh,........I forgot, she had her own recipe, didn't she? I was planning on just subbing in butter for the Crisco in my own recipe...I wonder if that would work or not?

Would you mind sharing her recipe if you still have it? I can't remember what all it had in it. Thank you so much!

I love her recipe. It's so quick to prep. and it always comes out nice and flaky! I even use it for my chicke pot pie, if I use anything else, my family gets furious lol! Anywho, I don't think we can publish the actual recipe here, just the link, so here it is: http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/pate-brisee-blackberry-pies

I just googled it and it came up with the mini pies, but the recipe is exactly the same for 2 9inch crusts. It doubles without a problem too. HTH

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 25 Nov 2008 , 9:21pm
post #10 of 19

I use half butter, half lard, which makes a flaky light pastry. Fats have to be very cold. I sometimes add an egg yolk if I want it to be richer, and a little sugar if it's a sweet crust.

Mmm - now you've made me want to make a pie for dinner...

famousamous Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
famousamous Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 1:15am
post #11 of 19

Haha! I use this exact recipe for all of my pies! The secrect is to wrap it in plastic and freeze it. Then thaw in the frige for awhile before rolling it out. When its baking I can see the pockets of butter popping and it browns wonderfully!

Its a very flakey and flavorfull crust.

A way to make sure the sides dont slide down is to blind bake using beans in foil. If your sure to give the sides a good "lip" around the edges of the pie pan it also helps.

I started using this recipe last year and have never had a problem with it.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 1:52am
post #12 of 19

I use the Martha recipe too and add some sugar for sweet pies. It's an excellent crust and it holds its shape fine if you let it rest. The key is in the method. Everything must be very cold. I cut the butter into a 1/2" dice and freeze it and I use ice water. Add only enough water so that when you pinch the dough it will clump and when you crumble it it will come apart again. If you add too much water your dough will be tough. Chill it for at least an hour and roll it out. It may crack a little around the edges when you roll it, but it will be fine. I like to chill it again after I put it in the pie dish (but before I fill it).

It makes a lovely and flaky crust.

Callyssa Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 5:13pm
post #13 of 19

Well, I guess I'm going to try it! I'm nervous though. Seems like I tried my food processor for pie crust before and it didn't work; I haven't even used it in several years.....now I'll have to figure out where it's buried LOL!

Famousamos....what is blind baking with foil and beans? I'm doing both pumpkin pies and apple pies.

Thanks everyone for the help, I'll only let you know if it turns out disastrous!

FromScratch Posted 27 Nov 2008 , 2:37am
post #14 of 19

I make it in the food processor all the time.. it's the only way to go IMHO.. it gets the butter really finely cut up and well distributed in the flour.

Blind baking is when you bake a pie crust without the filling. To get it nice and even and not puffed up in odd places you can dock it (put holes in the crust with a fork or something pokey) and line it with foil (allof this is obviously after you have the crust formed in the pie plate) and fill it with either pie weights or beans and bake it like that. It's how you would bake the shell for a lemon meringue pie or something like that. With your pies you won't have to blind bake them since you fill the pie shell raw and bake with the filling. icon_smile.gif HTH's

Callyssa Posted 27 Nov 2008 , 3:43am
post #15 of 19

I thought that's what it was, but had to make sure. The butter cut in really well, but had a little trouble with the water. My food processor is a KitchenAid Little Ultra 5 cup, and I'm wondering if it's just too small. The water got the bottom too wet and sticky and the dryer dough on top wouldn't mix in. I ended up having to mix it by hand. It was super easy to work and smelled awesome while it was baking, but as far as taste goes, it doesn't seem much different than when I use shortening. I'll know for sure tomorrow when I try the pie! Thanks again for all the help!

FromScratch Posted 27 Nov 2008 , 4:19am
post #16 of 19

my food processor is small too and I have to make it in 2 parts..

keconnell08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keconnell08 Posted 27 Nov 2008 , 9:47am
post #17 of 19

Callyssa,

Did you pour the water in slowly while processing? You need to use a very thin stream.

Is your KA a mixer or food processor?

ac2steachk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ac2steachk Posted 27 Nov 2008 , 1:46pm
post #18 of 19

I haven't looked at Martha's recipes, but I use Dorie Greenspan's crust recipe. This makes the best crust I've ever had--I've even been known to eat some of the dough as I'm preparing it. The cookbook is called something like "From My House to Yours," and of course I'm not at my house to get the exact information.

The recipe uses butter. I've had very successful crusts when not refrigerating it, but all ingredients have been very cold already. I also make my crusts in the food processor--it works quickly and easily.

FromScratch Posted 27 Nov 2008 , 3:37pm
post #19 of 19

Dorie's and Martha's recipes are pretty close.. Martha's has all butter where Dorie's has some shortening and Dorie's recipe makes more crust (just from looking at quantities used).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%