Cake Mix Or From Scratch

Baking By AnitaK Updated 21 Nov 2008 , 12:11am by Mike1394

AnitaK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnitaK Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 7:48pm
post #1 of 8

I recently made a cake from scratch and wasn't really pleased with the texture. I am accustomed to cake mix texture and don't want folks surprised by something else. Just wondering what you normally use and if using a cake mix - do you doctor it? If you have a scratch cake recipe that you love for yellow and for chocolate cakes that the texture is mix-like, do you mind sharing?

7 replies
andiesweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andiesweet Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 7:54pm
post #2 of 8

I think that it will be hard for you to find a scratch recipe that is "mix like" Usually scratch cakes tend to be a little drier. You could make simple syrup and brush some of that on the cakes to moisten them.
Some recipes I use scratch, some I use mix. If I do use a mix I always doctor it up. There is a good cake mix extender recipe on this site. i use that if i do use a mix. Hope this helps. icon_smile.gif

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 8:01pm
post #3 of 8

I always doctor my cake mixes and sift them. I have always had compliments about how moist my cakes are and how it just couldn't be a boxed mix. haha I will never tell!! I have made several scratch cakes and don't care for them.

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 8:08pm
post #4 of 8

It depends on the flour you use for your cakes. When making banana cake then all purpose is okay but when you are making others ex:white, yellow etc... then use should use both cake flour and all purpose. I read that in Confetti Cakes. She also has great recipes in there.

stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 8:26pm
post #5 of 8

I have also heard using butter will dry out a cake, so if you can, use oil as the fat. Also, sifting is a must for scratch cakes. I find it helps with the lightness of the cake so it's not as dense. However, if you want to doctor a cake mix, I add a box of pudding mix, and 4 eggs, 1/3 cup oil and a cup of buttermilk to the mix and ignore the ingredients they say to put in. Makes a moist delicious cake that doesn't taste like it came from a box. You can always add in extracts and others things to change up the flavor too!

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 8:32pm
post #6 of 8

The textures are totally different. I think box mixes are mushy.

Scratch cakes are NOT drier. If they are drier, it's because it's a bad recipe.

Butter doesn't dry out a cake. Oil will certainly mkae it much more oilier(sp)

Mike

AnitaK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnitaK Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 11:19pm
post #7 of 8

The recipe was supposedly from one of the best. I used sifted cake flour and room temperature everything. I guess its a matter of taste.

I am thinking of trying a Dream Cake (adding Dream Whip dry to a cake mix) and following that recipe. Anyone tried that one?

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 12:11am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnitaK

The recipe was supposedly from one of the best. I used sifted cake flour and room temperature everything. I guess its a matter of taste.

I am thinking of trying a Dream Cake (adding Dream Whip dry to a cake mix) and following that recipe. Anyone tried that one?

Do you want to post the recipe you used?

Mike

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%