Annoying Loud Verbal Advertisement

Decorating By Joanne1944 Updated 14 Nov 2008 , 6:14pm by yaadie

Joanne1944 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joanne1944 Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 2:28am
post #1 of 23

Every time I switch to a different page on cakecentral, I keep getting this annoying advertisement that starts with "you have won a free Nintendo WII" It keeps playing over and over. I tried to send an Email to cakecentral but it won't accept my inquiry since it requires a 3 digit verification code and the code to enter is missing. Is there any way to stop this?

22 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 2:40am
post #2 of 23

turn off your speakers

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 2:48am
post #3 of 23

ditto.

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 3:12am
post #4 of 23

Yeah my 7 year old heard it and was all excited.

Then I told him we really didn't win and it was an advertisement.

Disaster, disappointment, and tears appeared.

Between that and the other voice add it's definately becoming annoying because I don't always remember to turn off my speakers when I arrive. I'm getting better at remembering though.

Katie-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie-Bug Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 1:23pm
post #5 of 23

I know!! icon_eek.gif

I generally have my volume turned off, but had been watching You Tube cake videos, and that blame thing got me all day!

Volume OFF today!! thumbs_up.gif

TC123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TC123 Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 2:57pm
post #6 of 23

Yeah, it does get annoying... Because I often play music through my computer while on here, and then I get this loud advertisement. It's especially troublesome for me when I have my parrot on my shoulder. Because she hears this strange voice and looks all around to see where it's coming from, sometimes followed by a loud yell ~ directly in my ear. (Ouch!) icon_cry.gif

ladawn250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladawn250 Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 3:07pm
post #7 of 23

You can install pop up blockers on your computer to avoid getting those ads. We did and we no longer have that problem...and it's been nice!

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 4:57pm
post #8 of 23

The first time it came it on I jumped! I couldn't believe how low it was. I thought at first that my son had the volume turned up, but they were all fairly low. It is now muted. My pop-up blocker doesn't seem to be stopping this.

It is quite annoying. I know CC needs the ad revenue, but I hope they find another way.

Michele

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 5:04pm
post #9 of 23

My pop up blocker isn't stopping it either icon_sad.gif

Katie-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie-Bug Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 5:09pm
post #10 of 23

Those of you who's pop up blockers are working, do you ,mind telling me what kind you have?

The wii voice is the only one I'm getting. I would definatly be willing to download another blocker if it would stop it.

Thanks,Katie

Florimbio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Florimbio Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 5:12pm
post #11 of 23

hate it!!!!! thumbsdown.gif

CreationsByCaryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreationsByCaryl Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 5:33pm
post #12 of 23

ALso hate it.
I think I've won the damn thing about 50 times today.

Pop up Blockers don't work, as it is a rotating embedded ad, not at pop up. It's just not on every page.

Darn thing is WAY at the bottom of the page.

Turning off my speakers is not an option, I need them on for other things also running while surfing.

daniassis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daniassis Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 6:30pm
post #13 of 23

So damn annoying thumbsdown.gif

noyhoward Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noyhoward Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 6:31pm
post #14 of 23

Mine pop up blocker doesn't stop it either & I have to hit mute.

luelue1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luelue1971 Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 6:37pm
post #15 of 23

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! So sick of this.

Melissa0567 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melissa0567 Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 6:39pm
post #16 of 23

I hate that add also. I hope cc isn't going to run it for very long. It's 10x worst than the smiley face that speak when you curser runs on them. Maybe cc will read all the hate posts and atleast turn the sound off of the add.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 7:02pm
post #17 of 23

I have firefox as well and I got the wii ad or at least the first seconds of it and then it stopped and I've never heard it since......I do still get some of the ads on the sides of the page though, but I don't mind those....soemtimes I like to read em'1 lol

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 7:04pm
post #18 of 23

TCarra wrote:

Quote:
Quote:

It's especially troublesome for me when I have my parrot on my shoulder. Because she hears this strange voice and looks all around to see where it's coming from, sometimes followed by a loud yell ~ directly in my ear. (Ouch!)

I have a parrotlet that likes to sit on the computer keyboard while I type. (I blame all my typos on him.) He hears the verbal add and cocks his head to listen... anyone who has a parrot knows that's trouble because they will start repeating it if it was catchy enough to process. I'm dreading the day he announces that we've won a new Wii or IPod! I hope I turned off the speakers quick enough to keep him from learning those ANNOYING phrases!

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 7:20pm
post #19 of 23

I heard the ad too but only once. Just turn the speakers off. While reading through this thread I was thinking that we should grin and bare it and not complain to Heath or Jackie. This site is free for us and the ads are what keep it up and running. I'd rather put up with and read a few ads then have to pay a monthly fee or something to come here.

Just a little reminder to everyone to keep this light and to look on the positive side of it. thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 7:40pm
post #20 of 23

I hear it all the time too! It drives me bonkers. It kind of halts the computer too, until it is done. I have won a lot of nintendo wii's.

just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 7:52pm
post #21 of 23

I've won enough wii's for my entire gift list, but i listen to music on my computer, so i don't turn off my speakers. it really bothers me when i'm trying to put my son to sleep, i often look on cc while doing that, and if i forget to turn off the sound- well, let's just say there's no nap that day, and that's trouble!!

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 6:00pm
post #22 of 23

Laura....glad it helped you! icon_biggrin.gif

Jodie

yaadie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yaadie Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 6:14pm
post #23 of 23

I have NEVER heard it...lol...I guess it is because I hate all the computer sounds anyway, and my computer volume is permanently turned off unless I need t ohear something, then I turn it on for that athen it's off again. I am not the kind of person who could listen to music and do hoemwork while in high school...lol...
so for me I am lucky to never have heard it. I find all the beeps, clicks and ads annoying and so as I said...my speakers are always always off!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%