Venting About Email I Got Over Prices Of Cookies!!!

Baking By LoriMc Updated 19 Nov 2008 , 1:47pm by candynumber1

LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 5:01pm
post #1 of 20

So I made a new webstie and mailed the address to everybody I know. My neighbor said some of her friends were interested in cookies, but one of her friends said that she would never pay $1.25 a cookie. I guess she won't be getting any of mine because I charge $1.50 per cookie!

The local fru-fru bakery here starts the smallest size cookie at $1.75 and their cookies are rock hard, covered with fondant and or royal icing. Mine are rolled buttercream on sugar cookies.

These are the same people that did not want to chip in for a baby shower cake I did for their office. They just wanted to get something "cheap" at Wal-Mart.

I know my cookies are worth more than $1.25 a piece!

19 replies
darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 5:05pm
post #2 of 20

STick to your price - if they want to eat poor quality cookies because they are cheaper - Let them. The ones that appreicate quality will pay for your cookies. Good luck with your new website.

LoriMc Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 5:09pm
post #3 of 20

I just checked with our local Cookies By Design. I single cookie, not on a stick, not in a bouquet, decorated is $5.00 A PIECE!

I guess people expect me to give them away.

Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 5:25pm
post #4 of 20

Our CBD are $7.00 apiece!!!

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 6:36pm
post #5 of 20

I used to think people were resistant to paying a decent price for a cake, but it's nothing like with decorated cookies! These are individualized desserts that cannot be cranked out in two minutes or less, but the public seems to think they should pay no more for them than a drop cookie. Clueless.

yankeegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yankeegal Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 12:48am
post #6 of 20

Stick to your guns...our CBD is $7 plus a single cookie. I recently raised my prices and it was empowering...I will never go back to undercharging/discounting, etc....
You will always find some people(my MIL) who would never pay over $1 for a cookie-but there are a lot of people out there that don't even blink an eye about paying $5 or more for one.
Don't take it personally-it's business. And most people are clueless about the amount of work it takes to create them. Just wow them with your creative talent and they will see. thumbs_up.gif

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 1:56am
post #7 of 20

I am with yankeegal on this! There is no way I would go lower than that! These are handmade, fresh and your cookies are cute to boot! $1.50 for that scarecrow??? I think that is a steal! You have cute cookies - you stick to your price. You won't be happy with yourself if you lower it and you will regret the time you put into them, not to mention cost of materials, electricity, etc.

If someone doesn't want to pay the price (which I still think is a steal), then let them have something else. That is their choice, but don't compromise when you may regret it. You know your cookies are worth it! (and I still think more!)

amastercreation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amastercreation Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 2:11am
post #8 of 20

Sorry to hear the neg. comment after you put alot of effort into your website & costing. Your hard work will be noticed by those that know quality instead of quantity. Keep creating and never settle for less.icon_smile.gif
BTW-your work is wonderful!

calicopurr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calicopurr Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 2:19am
post #9 of 20

People have no clue what goes into our baked goodies. I got a thank you call today from a young gal who I made the beer cake for. I was very pleased she called and thanked me. She also happen to get some cookies that I made. When I told her the process of making the cookies and then icing them, she couldn't believe that I made the cookie dough from scratch. That is how clueless they are. icon_surprised.gif

I can't make decorated cookies in one day. For instance, one day I make cookie dough, then freeze. That same day I make my icings. The next few days consist of baking and icing the cookies and setting them aside to dry. There there's packing and adding ribbons and my stickers.

I don't know how anyone can make a cake and frost it in one day and still not have an aching back. Plus, I heard a cake should settle at least a day before it's frosted. Does anyone know why? What kind of problems can arise?

I've never gotten paid for any of my cakes or cookies. They have all been for family so far, but hopefully the word will get out.

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 2:18pm
post #10 of 20

Stick to your prices lady. If they want cheap cookies, they know where Walmart is.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 2:30pm
post #11 of 20

Lori McC,
Your "Operation" cakes is one off my all-time favorites. Your cookies are beautiful. Don't undersell yourself. EVER.

robinscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinscakes Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 2:31pm
post #12 of 20

Stick to your guns!!!! My cookies sell for 75 cents (very small) to $2.50 (very large) and are butter cookies with my bakery's own frosting recipe. They take a lot of work and are worth more than what we get for them if you look at what else is out there online. I sold well over 1000 of them the week of Halloween, and no one seemed to think they were too much (actually I did overhear one woman say my Frankenstein wasn't worth $1.75....so why did I sell 144 of them that week?). If she wants rock-hard Walmart cookies, let her have them, along with the trip to the dentist she'll need to fix her broken tooth. Don't cut your prices because a cheapskate doesn't know what she's talking about!!! You're worth it!!!!

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 2:32pm
post #13 of 20

My cheapest cookie is $2.00--and depends on the size and simplicity of design. The less time I spend on it, the cheaper it is. Most are $2.50 and the postcard cookies sell for $3.50

Cookies may be "darling" and "beautiful" but they are very time consuming. Stick to your prices!

We do have a bakery here that sells "decorated" cookies for $1.00 each but they look cra**y. So when people balk at my price, I tell them that this bakery will do them for $1.00...they usually call back when they have another cookie order.

Plus, you have to remember, if you are a specialty baker(y), you don't cater to the "Wal-mart" crowd. Sorry, not dissing those that do buy at Walmart, but everybody knows their budget and can't always afford custom prices.

LoriMc Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 2:40pm
post #14 of 20

Thanks for all the moral support and compliments guys!

I called around this morning and you cannot get a decorated, shaped, sugar cookie in this town for less than $1.75, so I am charging the lowest price. Some places in town will do a round cookie decorated with buttercream for about a dollar, but that doesn't compare to what I'm doing.

Good luck to her at Wal-Mart, bc I don't think they even make decorated cookies!

Denise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denise Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 2:52pm
post #15 of 20

I am with everyone else. Stick to your guns and your prices.

I believe I am the highest priced cake decorator in the area. I make custom cakes individually - it is not a bakery cranking out tons of cakes. I know there are lots of brides who don't use me because of the prices. That is not my problem. The cakes that I do make I am well compensated for and I like that!!!

You will sell your cookies to people who appreciate the art and the taste!!! I don't do cookies because I would rather do cakes but if I did do cookies they would be in the $$$$ range too!!!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 2:53pm
post #16 of 20

Let her go buy a box of animal crackers.

Newatdecorating Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Newatdecorating Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 10:00pm
post #17 of 20

I'm sorry, but I think you undercharge for your cookies! I have been admiring your work for a good while now and believe you deserve more.

I do feel like people should charge something that they are comfortable with, however don't go so low to get the business of tightwads as I call them. You give something away or sell it low enough and you'll get the business, but it will end up costing you.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 10:15pm
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriMc

Thanks for all the moral support and compliments guys!

I called around this morning and you cannot get a decorated, shaped, sugar cookie in this town for less than $1.75, so I am charging the lowest price. Some places in town will do a round cookie decorated with buttercream for about a dollar, but that doesn't compare to what I'm doing.

Good luck to her at Wal-Mart, bc I don't think they even make decorated cookies!

And it's good to have that info ... when they balk at your pricing, you can easily tell them, "Well the other place in town, (name of shop), charges $1.75 ... and the only other place that makes cookies of this calibur, (name of shop), charges even more than that."

Trust me .... that shuts 'em up.

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 5:53pm
post #19 of 20

Good point, Indydebi! I am going to remember that one!

candynumber1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candynumber1 Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 1:47pm
post #20 of 20

I think you're being very generous at $1.50. I have yet to make cookies to sell, but my starting price would be about $2.00. You give detail attention to each cookie you make. There's always one trying to get something for nothing!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%