Sheet Cake Sizes

Decorating By beamom Updated 14 Nov 2008 , 3:48am by tomatoqeen

beamom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beamom Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 3:14pm
post #1 of 13

for the longest time I have struggle with the sizes for sheet cakes. I searched on the site but I come up with different answers. Can any one tell me the size for 1/4 sheet cakes, 1/2 sheet cakes and whole sheet cakes. I continue make cakes either too small or too big because of this. I don't want to waste any cake batter. icon_sad.gif

12 replies
cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 3:27pm
post #2 of 13

You know, I would love the answer to that as well. There have been many threads here in the forums about the actual sizes of sheet cakes and everyone's opinion differs. What I end up doing is just asking the customer how many people they want the cake to serve. That's how I determine how big to go.

Some people also figure their sheet cake servings by whether it's a double or a single layer. A double will serve more because you make your serving sizes smaller because the cake is "taller".

I will be checking back here to see if anyone has a more definitive answer.

Amy

kimmypooh79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmypooh79 Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 3:30pm
post #3 of 13

1/4 sheet - 9x13
1/3 sheet - 11x15
1/2 sheet - 12x18
2/3 sheet - 22x15 (two 11x15 side-by-side)
Full sheet - 24x18 (two 12x18 side-by-side)

I got this from another discussion. There is also a 7x11 pan that I believe is considered a 1/8 sheet....not gonna swear to that one though. HTH

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 3:45pm
post #4 of 13

Kimmy's got it!

beamom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beamom Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 4:18pm
post #5 of 13

Thanks so much. My search is now over thanks to you thumbs_up.gificon_smile.gif

kimmypooh79 Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 4:23pm
post #6 of 13

icon_biggrin.gif Glad I could help! icon_biggrin.gif

cakemomma200811 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemomma200811 Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 6:05pm
post #7 of 13

Can you also share the serving sizes for the cakes listed? I always have a tough time quoting people on the correct size to purchase because I think the serving sizes are typically very small.

kimmypooh79 Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 7:23pm
post #8 of 13

2-LAYER SHEET CAKES

Size  Wedding  ------------------------Party
  Cut 1x2x4----------------------  Cut 1.5x2x4

7x11    
9x13   50--------------------------------36
11x15  75--------------------------------50
12x18  98--------------------------------72

I tried several times to get this lined up but it just won't so I hope you can understand it.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 11:47pm
post #9 of 13

Do yourself a favor and stop using the terms "half" and "full" sheets. Most cake civilians USE the terms ... but they don't know how big it is. Had a guy ask me for pricing on a full sheet when he only needed cake for 10 people. So I just don't screw with those labels. Heck, you can't get people on CC to agree on what size means what and we all do this as more than a hobby.

----------------------------------

Customer: How much is your full sheet?"
Debi: How big a cake is that?
Customer: I have no idea. dunce.gif
Debi: (thinking to herself) Then why did you ASK for a full sheet, ya moron!

-----------------------------------

What Debi Does:
Customer: How much is your full sheet?
Debi: How many people do you need it to serve?
Customer: About 20
Debi: Oh, then you dont' need a cake NEAR the size of a full sheet, so it's a good thing I asked! The size you want is the 11x15. It serves 25-35, depending on how you cut it. The price is $........

Wesha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wesha Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 12:09am
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmypooh79

1/4 sheet - 9x13
1/3 sheet - 11x15
1/2 sheet - 12x18
2/3 sheet - 22x15 (two 11x15 side-by-side)
Full sheet - 24x18 (two 12x18 side-by-side)

I got this from another discussion. There is also a 7x11 pan that I believe is considered a 1/8 sheet....not gonna swear to that one though. HTH

Thanks Kimmypooh for this information. I have always put two 1/4's together, to make a half.

tomatoqeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomatoqeen Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 2:54am
post #11 of 13

OK, I know better, but I am going to ask anyway. Could someone define, again, a 2-layer cake. I have a pan 10x15 (1/3 sheet Magic Line) that I love. When I bake this cake, I usually only bake one pan of cake, torte, and fill. For this I say about 35 servings. So, if I bake two pans of cake (a 2-layer) does this double the servings?

The reason I am asking is that I need to serve 50 people, but I think I need to use my 12x18 pan. If I use the 12 x 18 pan, I think I will also only bake one pan of cake and torte and fill. Most serving charts state 2 layer, but when torted and filled, that is one huge cake. I really like the look of one pan of cake torted and filled and then one of the tortes from the second pan, but I always end up with an extra torte that I don't know what to do with. Cake balls or just cut in half and use like a regular cake? Suggestions?

Sorry so long, I get a little wordy!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 3:11am
post #12 of 13

A single layer cake is usually just 2, maybe 3" tall. It can be torted, but torting and layered are pretty much 2 different things....it's probably just semantics, but when used in the cake world, it's 2 different things.

A 2-layer cake is two 2" cakes put together with filling between them. These can also be torted give the look of four 'layers'.

A single layer cake's standard serving size is 2x2x2" square (assuming a 2" height).
A double layer cake's standard serving size is 1x2x4".
Both of these servings sizes = 8 cubic inches of cake.

So yes .... if you use a 2-layer cake, you would basically double the number of servings ... because you are cutting the surface of the cake in half (1" instead of 2") but the height of the cake makes up the difference (4" tall instead of just 2").

tomatoqeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomatoqeen Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 3:48am
post #13 of 13

Thanks Debi -- you're great!

I'm so torn about this cake. I'm putting a cat cake on top of the sheet, so I think I will have enough servings with one layer, but I don't want to visually overdo the sheet that it sits on and also have sooo much cake leftover. But, its my niece's cake and my sister's in-laws will out number our family and boy do they love to eat, so I am torn over the number of sizes.

I guess I just needed a refresher on sizes; I just like looking at a chart sometimes and not thinking.

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%