Emt Thank You Cupcakes?

Decorating By Rocketgirl899 Updated 14 Nov 2008 , 2:04pm by Rocketgirl899

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 5:59am
post #1 of 27

Hello,

So i was in a car accident and wanted to make the EMTs who helped me some cupcakes, or I guess a cake... but I am not sure what to do. I wanna do it strictly EMT (though I think a few firemen helped out).

I was thinking about making little GP "backboards" or "C collars" and just sticking them in cupcakes.

Then I thought what about making a small (8x8 or 10x10) cake with a miniture "me" on a back board strapped down? I was on the damn thing for nearly 4 hours! what would I do in the back? was thinking mold a little red car that was wrecked?

Anyway, part of me doesn't want to spend alot of time on it because they might not eat it because their might be rules... I don't know. I don't eat food from strangers... But I do want to so my gratitude. I sitll want it to look good!
TIA

ps. I am fine, my car ... not so muchicon_smile.gif

26 replies
cakebaker1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1978 Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 6:10am
post #2 of 27

Hi Rocketgirl899!

You could do the EMT symbol on each cupcake....It doesn't look too complicated and it only stands for EMT(I think lol)....so they would get all the credit! Just an idea! Hope it helped! Glad you are ok, sorry about your car! Good luck with your cupcakes!!
LL
LL

auntsteff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntsteff Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 6:44am
post #3 of 27

The symbol is called a star of life, and most ambulances have the symbol on them, but usually without the serpent & staff (caduceus, is what that's called, but my spelling may be off).

When you get ready to deliver whatever it is that you make, find out when/where the ambulance crew that helps you works. In many areas, ambulance & fire work what is known as a 24/48 shift, meaning that they work 24 hours on and 48 hours off. You want to make sure that your treats get to the proper people! I would suggest you deliver at the beginning or the end of the shift to the station where they work, don't even think about trying in the middle of their shift. They won't be there.

Having worked as a paramedic, both in and out of a fire station, I can guarantee that the fire department will eat just about anything you take to them, and most EMT/paramedics are the same.

Rocketgirl899 Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 5:10pm
post #4 of 27

Cake Baker-- your avatar is adorable! Thanks for that suggestion icon_smile.gif I really hate cupcakes but that seems like a really good idea. Especially if I did them in RI / colorflow... icon_smile.gif Thank you!

Aunt Steff!

Thank you so much icon_smile.gif I never thought about their shifts, though I knew things were crazy. I will look into it. But I like you guarentee that they will eat it icon_smile.gif plus they have my number ( I left something in the ambulance and need to go pick it up). I really want to drop of the treats when I pick up the palm pilot, but there is no way I have time, but it will give me an excuse to find out what crew was on and when they work. I figure the latest I will get it to them is 2 weeks later. But better late then never?

Oh plus if I can see the guys for than once, they were all so dreamy icon_smile.gif lol.

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 7:04pm
post #5 of 27

Rocketgirl, I absolutely agree that they'll eat whatever you bring. I'm a pediatrician, and have pulled many a shift in the ER, and can tell you that the medical community as a whole is worse than a bunch of third-graders. You slap something sweet in a box and bring it to us, it'll disappear within minutes, and you'll have broken up their day in the nicest way. Definitely look at the shifts, as suggested. And the caduceus is for the whole medical community (originally Greek, with physicians), but applies to all ... I think it would be cute. You could also do little individual mini loafs as stretchers with a little gumpaste (or fondant, or whatever) person lying in each of them ... whatever you do, I'm sure it'll be much appreciated!

Rocketgirl899 Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 7:24pm
post #6 of 27

omg! the mini loafs is a great idea! ohhhh! I like that.

However I was going to be struggling with 1 fondant person... but I like the ideas of the loafs with a back board on it! Maytbe I wil pipe "thank you" on the stretchericon_smile.gif

fantastic!
i'll post photos whatever I do icon_smile.gif

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 4:00am
post #7 of 27

Yes, definitely post your pictures once you decide what you're going to do! Good luck!

-Emi.

Rocketgirl899 Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 4:18am
post #8 of 27

I will... i kinda wanna make an ambulance, now .. I mean the shape wouldn't be all that hard......but the design.. hmm....

this is what happens when I think too much! haha.

We will see.

SILVERCAT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SILVERCAT Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 6:56pm
post #9 of 27

Ok you hit my real career with this topic. Were they paid or volunteers? And I mean if they are volunteers do they bill you? Or are they 100% volunteer? I am a volunteer and a paid EMT and my squad I volunteer with does NOT bill we are 100% free, but we do get a tax collection everyear from the people in the community! Also some of the volunteers squads do bill for the rig to take you to the hospital and supplies used during transport, but they EMTs on the rig are NOT paid, well most aren't and you will know this bc they do make a point to state this. Some squads do have paid EMTs during work hours bc they cant crew during work hours so some EMTS do work for a volunteer squad. Oh and if they are volunteers maybe you could make a donation of money I know it is hard but they are very grateful when donations come in for services. Ok so now that I stated that, if they are paid I would go with something single serve for the building! ANd if it was a squad maybe try finding out when they have their monthly meeting and offer to donate refreshments for the meeting. You could take the image from the person who posted it and hand cut some sugar cookies, and ice them white outline blue fill and white staff. I actually had a star of life cookie cutter made, it rocks! I also did two cakes for a bake sale for my squad and put the star of life on them. you can see my cookies/cakes on my blogspot. Good Luck and post when you decided.

Rocketgirl899 Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 10:10pm
post #10 of 27

Silvercat:

I have no idea if they are paid or not. I am grateful to them for taking such great care of me however, I am a student and barely have a part time job. On top of that I just found out my car is totalled, and because of FL laws I am responsible for 20% of my medical bills. So I don't really have the money. I was thinking supplies would be at most $30 ( i am thinking closer to $20) but do you think it would be more appreciative to just give money? I mean $20 bux isn't alot... I feel like if I gave money, it would need to be more than what I would spend on the cake. Plus I feel like baking something is more sincere? I don't know.

I didn't have any of the medics tell me if or if they don't get paid.

So as much as I want to do the the ambulance cake, i think you are right about the single servings. sucks I really hate cupcakes icon_smile.gif . hmm.. Sounds like the best idea tho icon_smile.gif

Thanks.

SILVERCAT Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 12:31am
post #11 of 27

Like I said before if you are tight on money which I know everyone, give a cake, cookies or cupcakes, whichever you want. I figured single serve bc they can grab and go, must of them are on the go. I don't want you to think I was telling you need to give money but is nice for the volunteer squads. If you had a medic aboard he was from a paid service. But try to find out what kind of rig service you had paid or volunteer. Also like I stated before if it was a volunteer squad try to find out when the monthly meeting is and call and ask if you can bring in refreshments for after the meeting and to say thank you. Did you take a look at the cookies or cakes I did on my blogspot? Sorry if I am complicating things for you. Good Luck

Rocketgirl899 Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 1:28am
post #12 of 27

Your medic star cutter is cool!

I think what I will do is when I head down there to pick up the thing I left I Will find out when there meeting is. That will give me alil time to get things together icon_smile.gif

I will post tho!

-Rocket

SILVERCAT Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 2:29am
post #13 of 27

Sounds great. Ask the capitan if it would be ok if you could supply refreshments for them. Some places do not take stuff from outsiders!

Rocketgirl899 Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 5:36am
post #14 of 27

I found out the "crew." off to pick up my phone tomorrow... i'll find out more info then!

SILVERCAT Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 1:44pm
post #15 of 27

If you know the name of the ambulance you could google it and see if they have a website and find out if they are paid or volunteers. Good Luck

Rocketgirl899 Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 1:50pm
post #16 of 27

I'll see what I can do todayicon_smile.gif

Shift "A" didn't really tell me much.

momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 2:26pm
post #17 of 27

When my hubby had to get an ambulance ride to the ER 2 years ago, I made a cake for them too. I actually found an old Wilton Van shaped pan at the Goodwill that week (talk about luck!!) and iced it to look like their ambulance. On the cake I wrote :"Thanks for the Ride!" The van shape would definitely be easy enough to cut out from a regular sheet cake though.

Glad to hear you're okay!

Beth

Rocketgirl899 Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 1:29am
post #18 of 27

"Thanks for the Ride" is perfect! I wasn't critically injured, just needed to be check out so I can't really say... thanks for saving my life! lol. but that is not their fault.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I really wanted to do a 3d cake... but maybe a 2d is easier.. more manageable.

Do you have photos of your ambulance cake?

-Rocket

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 2:19am
post #19 of 27

Rocket---

D&G has an EMS chocolate mold. You could make "mints" and place them on top of the cupcakes.

Here in central Florida, they're paid staffs. Up north where I was from originally, most were volunteers.

Paul (& Peter)

jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 2:29am
post #20 of 27

I'm glad you started this thread looking for ideas. I'm in a similar situation here. I was rushed from home due to the fact they thought I was having a heart attack (have serious heart problems, I'm only 33!). All of them were really nice. Not sure what I'm going to do yet myself. Good luck on yours and glad your doing fine!!!

Rocketgirl899 Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 8:18pm
post #21 of 27

Sweet guys, thanks for the d & G tip! I have only been there 4 times this week, and need to go back anywayicon_smile.gif

Jen, hope you are doing fine as well.

There weren't as nice to the other girl.. (we actually shared a ambulance.. ) but she was being a MAJOR b..... I mean they were helping her all they could, but when someone is yelling at you, telling them they don't know how to do there job.... it makes it harder icon_smile.gif

Oh well, all I can do is thank them for helping meicon_smile.gif

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 8:46pm
post #22 of 27

WOW!!! Am I ever glad I live in Canada. 100% covered. Period. My Dad was in the hospital for 6 days and NO BILLS!!! Taxes are higher, but I'll take that hit any day!

That being said, I brought cake to the emergency nurses and staff one day, even knowing that the "really good" nurse wasn't there. I wrote a nice card from my Dad "in C-3" and his family, hoping that the nurses might just keep the card around for a bit, so that the other nurses who cared for him would see it. Then I made cookies for the nurses on the floor that he was admitted to, with another card. Both were totally appreciated by all.

You can make cookies, cupcakes, cake, decorated, plain, whatever. Attach a note. They will love it. "It's the thought that counts" is true. Put your heart and thanks into it, and they will be thrilled.

Rocketgirl899 Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 8:51pm
post #23 of 27

thanks mommyle...

lets not go into the health care systems of the US... icon_smile.gif

Fortunately???? I am being covered by workers comp. icon_smile.gif I don't really know what tham means tho... hopefully it means im not payin!

Still a fiasco. And a PITA. But I am "ok" and thats all that matters.

jenlg Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 2:37am
post #24 of 27

I'm alright, as long as I take my meds everyday. Thanks for asking!!

Rocketgirl899 Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 5:23am
post #25 of 27

I have been really sore lately, and i hope i don't have more damage than we thought...

have any cakes coming up soon?

jenlg Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 11:51am
post #26 of 27

Hope everything turns out ok for you. It's never easy trying to get cakes done when were sick...or in worse shape. Unfortunately I cracked my wrist 2 weeks ago on top of everything else, thankfully I only have a baby shower cake for next Saturday.

Take care of yourself and get lots of rest. Things will get better soon!

Rocketgirl899 Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 2:04pm
post #27 of 27

yes, I was very happy this happened last friday.. not today!

Though I have a friend who is brilliant with cakes who qould have corevered for meicon_smile.gif

have a great day!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%