Help!!! Indydebi Or Anyone Who Uses Her Buttercream Recipe!!

Decorating By Jannie92869 Updated 13 Nov 2008 , 12:26am by aprilbree

Jannie92869 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jannie92869 Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 8:43pm
post #1 of 22

(I PM'd Indydebi already icon_cry.gif ) I have made a HUGE batch of Indydebi's buttercream. Followed the recipe as stated. I made the buttercream in my 6 qt kitchenaid. Taste great!!!!! My problem is the air bubbles or air pockets. They are everywhere. icon_cry.gif In a previous post, she said she doesn't have the icing up and over her paddle.

I need your suggestions on a very quick save...so that I can better smooth my buttercream; because I have already made a HUGE batch of it for my orders tomorrow. I did a practice cake this a.m. and was not able to get it as smooth as I would like.

I have PM'd Indydebi, I am sure she must be super busy because I normally hear from her right away. I am reaching out to you all because I need help today. icon_cry.gif

Thank you in advance
LL

21 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 8:52pm
post #2 of 22

I use her recipe and I've never had air bubbles in it. What speed did you mix it on? If you mix it too fast (or any recipe) you will get air bubbles.

seagoat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seagoat Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 8:52pm
post #3 of 22

I'm not sure. When I made her recipe, I came up with the same problem. I also would like to know how to prevent the bubbles.

Indydebi, Indydebi,..where are you? We have some questions for you now...

LOL Sorry...Scooby Doo's on...HA

Jannie92869 Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 9:06pm
post #4 of 22

I mixed the recipe exactly as on the paper in my 6 qt kitchenaid. I was on speed 4 for 5 minutes. icon_cry.gif

Thanks for the speedy replies!

I am still by the computer waiting patiently...ok waiting impatiently.

Thanks a lot!

Lenore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenore Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 9:11pm
post #5 of 22

I have never tried this recipe yet but I do use SugarShacks. Some times I get a lot of air bubbles in it because I mix it on too high a speed. I find that if I just mix it again by hand with a spatula just prior to applying it to the cake I can push out most of the air bubbles and after crusting, it smoothes out beautifully with parchment. When I mix it I push the icing against the side of the bowl to force the air out. It works for me every time just fine. I hope this helps.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 11:53pm
post #6 of 22

I answered the PM but just now saw this thread.

I suggested that the fat be totally pulverized .... I milx all but the p.sugar in the mixing bowl, then add about 2 cups of sugar (for "binding"). I mix it on super-high until I don't see one particle of fat; until it's silky smooth. Then add the rest of the sugar (gradually or all at once, it's up to you) and add'l milk as needed.

Once in awhile I'll get icing like in the above posted pic, but once it's Melvira'd, it's just fine.

Jannie92869 Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 12:23am
post #7 of 22

Indydebi, tried to PM you back but computer keeps kicking me out so not for sure if you were able to receive.

I am adhering to your advice for next time and I will pulverize the fat first then add 2 cups and pulverize some more then the rest of the powdered sugar. icon_smile.gif

BUT is there anything I can do for now since I already have a HUGE batch made? When I went to smooth I used the hot spatula method hoping that would help me prior to doing it with viva. Well that just made it wet and it has been that way for 2 hours. icon_cry.gif I wonder did the hot spatula make it not crust. When I take it out of the bowl and put it in my bag...it is soft and full of holes.

Any advice would be appreciated, I have a huge order for tomorrow.

Thanks in advance..any help will be greatly appreciated.... icon_cry.gif

mandifrye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandifrye Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 2:24am
post #8 of 22

Is it possible that you added too much liquid as well? I have had a similar problem (after using the hot spatula) and learned that I had added too much liquid to get the icing to crust as fast as normal. Maybe you could add a wee bit more powdered sugar and mix on low speed and see what happens. I am not sure it will work, but it is worth a try to save a big batch!

HTH

Jannie92869 Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 2:28am
post #9 of 22

I'm still here!

I followed the advice and tried to add more powdered sugar to combat the wetness of the icing. I went a bit overboard (couldn't tell you what I added) and it was too stiff. It went on but it was rugged looking! Anyway, after I had done the initial smooth with a dry spatula and it was rugged...I waited a while and then did the Melvira roller method. Top looks better than sides..............but it does indeed look much better and it was not wet.

On the next one, I will actually measure the powdered sugar before I put it in the mixer.

I am gonna get this recipe right...I am...I know I am. I will try it fresh later. But for right now I will continue to add the powdered sugar to each bowl that I have tonight to stiffen it up then I will Melivira it as much as possible.

Thanks

mandifrye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandifrye Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 2:42am
post #10 of 22

Jannie - I am glad that you were able to salvage it somewhat! I am sending some buttercream fairies to assist you tonight. However, I will need them back tomorrow. I am OUT of dreamwhip and NOT going to the store, so I have to use a different recipe! icon_cry.gif I hate to have a cake due and realize that I am out of something I need! If I only didn't liveout in the middle of nowhere!!!! icon_cry.gif

Good Luck!

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 2:59am
post #11 of 22

[/quote]I am sending some buttercream fairies [/quote]

lol......I love it...where are the fairies when I need them!!? I use this recipe all the time, with thankfully no problems and I have to admit I don't pulverize the fat as Indy said, but I will now!!!!

Jannie92869 Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 3:00am
post #12 of 22

Mandifrye,

Thank you for sending the buttercream fairies my way. I need every one of them!!! Yes, I do think that I used to much milk and that is why when I went back in to add the powdered sugar it would get better each time I would "shake" some from the bag into the mixer. When I first put my finger in it was very wet and hardly wet at all when I was done. I have got to figure out the right amount of milk to put into it. Maybe if there wasn't so much milk then there wouldn't be as many holes.

Indydebi, thanks as always for your help in the forum and the PMs. I will figure this out with the milk. We had talked about it before, I am not using more than the 1/2 cup milk so I have to reduce from that point without burning up the KA. But maybe if I pulverize it like you suggested at the beginning, I could use it all and it would be more creamier?

I don't think I can do this anymore tonight....I have had it but still have a long ways to go. I will get a few hours sleep and try this again later.

Mandifrye,Thanks for the fairies....I have asked them to multiply and I am sending you back your very own set of buttercream fairies for tomorrow! icon_biggrin.gif

KellJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellJ Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 3:16am
post #13 of 22

I have never tried Indydebi's recipe but when I have had air bubbles like that in my buttercream I put a little bit of Karo syrup in it and mix it by hand and try to push the air pockets/bubbles out with my spatula.

Hope you get it all worked out.

aprilbree Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilbree Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 3:29am
post #14 of 22

what does that mean to pulverize the fat? i'm fairly new to cake decorating and haven't really found a recipe i love yet, but that's because i like it quick and easy. i was using wilton's just for time sake, but i just can't stand to use it anymore. it seems to come out too greasy looking, and i always use crisco sticks. maybe i should give this one a shot icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 3:38am
post #15 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilbree

what does that mean to pulverize the fat?

Beat the crisco until it's absolutely creamed and blended ... so you can't see the little particles of crisco in the bowl. It should look like a big bowl of satin-y silk. When I do this part, I run my 20-qt on it's highest speed.

Next batch I make, I'll try to get some pics.

Jannie92869 Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 3:15pm
post #16 of 22

Indydebi,

I will definitely be looking for the pics(maybe even a youtube. icon_biggrin.gif ) of you making the next batch.

I even made a new bowl this a.m. (I had to try it) and it wasn't all that great either. Still had holes.....not that silky texture you were talking about.

This a.m., I got a bowl full of the old huge batch and added 1/2 cup of powdered sugar to cure the wetness part in each bowl. That helped with that. The air holes are still there, however, I am using the melivira method to smooth as much as I can. There are still numerous air pockets and some bubbles had to be popped.

I am attaching a picture after the roller and viva process. I did it sometimes with roller and then again with viva. Turned out pretty good and usable. I just want to know what I am doing wrong since this took a while. I kept getting the roller marks from my 6 in high density roller so then I would go back with viva.

Thanks for your help.
LL

jandjcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jandjcakes Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 3:47pm
post #17 of 22

I've not tired this receipe but I add meringue powder to my buttercream frosting and I don't seem to get littles bubbles in my frosting. If I get a few I use the Minerva method to smooth. That also might be a suggestion to help you out.

aprilbree Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 2:36am
post #18 of 22

thanks for explaining, indydebi! i'm excited to try it out...i'll let you know how it goes! and yes...i agree with jannie....if you ever get a video i'll be the next to watch it!

DegaDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DegaDee Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 8:19pm
post #19 of 22

I just tried this recipe for the first time Thursday...it tasted great, but I had problems coloring it. I added red to do them border, and it wouldn't blend. Could it be the Dream Whip? I used Wilton color as that's all I had to access to.

I smoothed it out with a Viva towel and it looked perfect until it crusted and then it had wrinkles, what happened???

Tracy71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tracy71 Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 8:26pm
post #20 of 22

What is the Minerva method for smoothing?

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 8:41pm
post #21 of 22

The "Melvira Method" is on this site. You do it with a high density foam roller. Do a search and you'll find it.

aprilbree Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 12:26am
post #22 of 22

in this recipe, it calls for milk. does that mean you have to refrigerate the cake until it's close to serving? can you substitute for water?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%