Sub Leases

Business By cakelady31 Updated 10 Nov 2008 , 6:38pm by cylstrial

cakelady31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady31 Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 3:58am
post #1 of 5

Evening everyone. I have a question that maybe someone can shed some light on for me.
I have gone thru the proper channels to aquire my business license and such and that being done I have the opportunity to work out of a commercial kitchen in my area. Which would be a bit easier than having the BOH involved at the residential level . I have been offered the chance to pay on a weekly basis but she says" to offer a fair price and we will negotiate. "

I don't know or have any idea what a fair price would be and I certainly don't want to insult her.

She knows I am just starting out with this business venture and there are some possibilities of possibly working together , ie,work for space use, etc. You help me and I help you sort of arrangement . She is a one person business and so am I. . We have discussed the fact that as my business grows I will be able to afford more.

I am hoping someone will have some advice on how I could make this work .
Does anybody here sublease space and do you charge a flat rate per month or what.?

TIA
Carol

4 replies
bchristianson17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bchristianson17 Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 4:29am
post #2 of 5

I don't know what the answer is here, sorry, but I am also curious to hear because home based bakeries are not allowed where I live.

If I could please add on to your question. . .

What additional things would you include in the contract since you don't own the place?
How would you go about advertising and such if people ask you where your shop is?

Thank you! And good luck with your cakes!

beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 4:10pm
post #3 of 5

well, i'll tell you what i'm doing. i rent from a caterer, and i pay a flat monthly rent. $350.00. i have a key, i come and go as i please, i meet with all brides/clients there, i leave all my stuff there. it works out really well for me.

as far as advertising goes, i post on my website that i rent from a caterer, i list the address and also say tastings/consults are appointment only. i've only had two people in the past year or so stop by without an appointment. i wasn't there, and they learned that they have to have an appointment!

good luck! i would make sure she's okay with you leaving your stuff there and coming and going whenever you need. thats the most important thing to me anyway.

cakelady31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady31 Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 6:03pm
post #4 of 5

Yes, not only can I leave my stuff there, she has also said that I can use anything there that I want. 3 ovens, mixer, and all . Even some pans if I need to. She is not a baker so I could bring my stuff over.

I guess I just have to make the offer I can and see what she says. n

Different areas are priced differently , I know,

Wish me luck and thanks for the input.

As far as advertising goes I am working on a website and will be working with some other wedding professsionals linking businesses and working together with referals. The commercial kitchen with which I was speaking about has agreed to let me post signs around the area. Also it has to be cleared with the Board of Health that we can work together in the same kitchen. (cross contamination) That part should be no problem. It is in a secluded area with almost no visiblility so that is where my footwork has to come in as far as advertising. I will have my clients contact me via email, website, phone and make appointment only meetings. I know for me it can work I was just wondering how many other people are doing something similar. Oh yeah, she only uses the kitchen Mon-Fri 8-2 and has said that I can use it whatever hours I need.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 6:38pm
post #5 of 5

I think it sounds like a pretty good setup! In fact, having an opportunity like that would be a dream come true for me (at the moment). I hope that you all come to a good rate for you. Goodluck with everything!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%