Would You Do This For Free Advertising??

Business By korkyo Updated 17 Dec 2008 , 8:10am by cakesdelight

CakesByJen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByJen2 Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 6:05pm
post #31 of 47

I'd have to say only donate if you really feel moved by this particular charity. I would not consider it a form of advertising. I've talked to a couple of friends who've owned other types of businesses and we've all found that giving freebies for public events only begats more requests for donated freebies, not orders. I donate to causes that I feel strongly about, when I choose to, and I'd actually prefer to remain anonymous.

Even for a charity I felt strongly about, I would rather just donate cash that would directly go to help the people in need, than to slave over a huge cake to be gobbled up by a bunch of rich people who are at an fru-fru event to hob-nob and get their picture in the paper (my, I'm in quite the cynical mood today!). Or donate cakes to people who really need a free cake to brighten their day, like the elderly, sick children, hospice patients, shelters, etc.

Anyway, just go into it with your eyes open and realistic expectations for what it will cost you in time and money, and what you can really expect to get back. A cake that size will cost quite a bit for you to make, and even if you want to donate your time, I think it would be more than reasonable to donate the cake at cost, rather than you also be out at least $200 for ingredients and supplies as well as your time. I donated a cake for my daughter's track banquet (my idea; I wasn't asked to). I did a relatively small simple cake (14-10-6 square) and I was shocked when I realized it cost me $125 in ingredients and supplies to make it! I was happy to do it, and it was my idea, but I told them I wouldn't be able to do it again after I realized how much $$ I had shelled out. Also, as far as a tax write-off, you'd better check into that. I have heard from other people (but not directly from a tax attorney or accountant) than when you donate a cake, you can only write off the cost of the ingredients and supplies, NOT the retail value of the cake (unless you bought it).

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 7:25pm
post #32 of 47

I say go for it. the very least that would happen is that you'd get a deduction on your taxes for a charitable contribution.
I'm excited for you!

melody

Swede-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swede-cakes Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 3:50am
post #33 of 47

After reading all the responses about donating to charity, I had to go back and read the original post b/c I thought maybe I misunderstood it. So let's see if I have this...

A Pro NFL player and his wife have asked korkyo to DONATE this cake to THEM to serve 300-400 GUESTS at a charity party that they are hosting. The cake will be served as dessert at the event, and not be used to raise money for the actual "chosen charity" (like a gift certficate in like a silent auction or something).

There's the difference, as I see it. You have to feel good about giving a cool cake to an NFL'er for free for his party. I'm sorry; just don't get what some of you are saying...will korkyo's awesome cake make the highrollers add more zero's when they write their checks to XYZ Charity? (I bet it will be awesome, btw!!)

I just don't see how, if the cake is donated to the hosts for their party dessert, this is a ticket on the Karma train like a lot of other posters are indicating. I see it as the NFL'er and his wife are saving about $1500 on cake. (300 x $5/srvg). Personally, that's not money I'd give away when that much time and energy are expended. icon_eek.gif There are chances in everyday life to pay it forward that aren't big giant Grand Gestures.

Korkyo, If you want to donate this cake to the player and his wife, then that is your choice and only yours. You may get interest from it. I just think they should buy the cake from you as a business deal. Are they asking a caterer to donate the buffet or the plated dinner service? Probably not...

Guess I'm sitting on the opposite side of the room from most of you on this one. icon_rolleyes.gificon_wink.gif

Best of luck with whatever you decide, korkyo! icon_smile.gif

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 4:36am
post #34 of 47

Donations do help the fundraiser's bottom line as well as the host/hostess. Every fundraiser in which I've had the honor of participating asked for donations from every vendor they could think of. When unable to get a donation of particular goods or services, they would try bargaining for a lower amount. If/when that didn't work, they got the best possible goods/services for a budgeted amount. The host/hostess or appointed person, would purchase items, keep the receipts with the understanding that they would be reimbursed from donations raised. The less they have to pay for the less comes out of the raised monies.

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 10:50am
post #35 of 47

As a consumer, I'm aware of a local bakery who has donated cakes to several large events. I've seen there name "out there" for years only because of that. I've even seen their cakes on the news because of that. That has caused me to perceive them as being one of "the" cake makers around.

I can't be alone in my thinking, can I? Even if you can't directly link one sale from this event, you will have placed your cakes "on the map" in many people's minds. If you are still relatively small, being able to put this information in your advertising would surely raise your credibility in the minds of many. And it would surely give you a possible foot in the door with a group of people that you may not have had a chance with before. And I would think pictures of this cake at that event would be fabulous to use for years to come. If you gained one good, loyal, deep pockets customer, I think it would end up being worth it.

One event, one cake, a relatively small investment. Give it a go, do all you can to benefit from this particular event, and then decide if you ever want to do it again.

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 7:51pm
post #36 of 47

Is there any way they would pay the ingrediants? that way your only investing your time and talent not the whole cost....since the hubby plays for Chiefs they've got to have the money, more then you. I think it's an awesome opportunity!

melody

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 12:25am
post #37 of 47

the original question was...is it worth it for free advertising.....

i guess my blonde is showing, but how is a 1500 cake free?

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 3:30am
post #38 of 47

lol...littlecake...that is a really good point!!!

Swede-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swede-cakes Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 12:47pm
post #39 of 47

I guess my blonde is showing too, littlecake, b/c what you said in one sentence took me 6 or 7 paragraphs to express! icon_lol.gificon_redface.gificon_lol.gif

gr8cakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gr8cakemaker Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 5:53pm
post #40 of 47

If you can afford it and really truly want to do it...by all means DO IT!

I myself have been contacted by numerous charities to do cakes for them and obliged. I have received 0 orders from those donated cakes. Since you said its not about "feel good" and that its a "business matter" just be prepared and know that this kind of thing usually doesnt get alot of referrals.

The cake would add to your portfolio and would probably be a blast to make! Let us know how it goes and good luck!

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 9:33pm
post #41 of 47

Did I miss how the cake turned out???

Mike

Ayanami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ayanami Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 10:27pm
post #42 of 47

Looks like I'm the only local to respond to this post. (I live in KCMO too)

It's awesome to be recognized by a Chiefs player. But I have to agree with some of the others that this is part of the catering for the event, not a donation to the charity.

That being said, my only advertisement is WoM. Granted I am just a home baker, but I always give out multiple business cards with my cakes and I always get call backs. I can't vouch for the society elite though. I know how some of KC's upper class think & behave (can you say Johnson County?) icon_confused.gif so I guess it's a toss up for you.

Good luck with how ever you decide to do it. I can't wait to see the finished product!

korkyo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korkyo Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 10:32pm
post #43 of 47

No you diden't miss it.

The event was last night and unfortunatly it was sleeting and snowing so the attendance was down. I have not heard just how many were there but she said everyone raved about it. I left about 100 or more business cards and they were all gone. I'll be getting her "business" in the future... no more donations.. you only get one free cake from me. icon_lol.gif

The Bowling alley was a VERY hip kindof place, so maybe there were some young brides there that I wlll get in the future.

I could have scaled back on the cake but I'm an "all-out" kind of person. The picture is attached. It's hard to see but there are bowling ball cakes on top of the swo side squares.
LL

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 7:39am
post #44 of 47

I havent read the entire thread, but I have done several charity balls, events, and sporting events and donated cakes. I never got a single call or order from those events. I now only do events because I want to help out, not because I want to make any money off of it.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 10:28am
post #45 of 47

Very cool that's one heckuva cake. Nicely done. Hope ya get many $$$$ from it.

Mike

Penny7271 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Penny7271 Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 10:50am
post #46 of 47

Those are wonderful cakes. And if you are happy with your work and your contribution to the event - then there you go!

And I hope that it does bring in some business for you, too!

cakesdelight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdelight Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 8:10am
post #47 of 47

That is a great cake! Good for you taking on the challenge; I hope you get lots orders from their refferal and the attendies...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%