Confusing Customer

Business By CakeMommyTX Updated 13 Nov 2008 , 12:05am by Deb_

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 5:45am
post #1 of 10

I have a lady who has contacted me 4 times on 4 separate occasions for 4 different cake quotes, but never has she followed through with the order.
I just went through all my past emails and paper work after receiving a 5th email from her, the name looked familiar and I was asking myself "has she ordered before?â sure enough it was the same lady.
Each inquiry has been for a 3-D sculpted cake, and each time I have quoted her a price and I never hear from her again.
Now I'm thinking 3 things, either she is waiting for me to suddenly drop my prices or itâs another decorator who is curious of my pricing (which are posted on my website) or someone who needs help pricing their own cakes (my husband suggested that one).
What should I do, just keep giving her quotes and hope she one day orders, or ask her why she doesnât order?
icon_confused.gif

9 replies
chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 6:34am
post #2 of 10

I'd just keep giving her quotes. It's rude to ska why she doesn't order. If you suspect a competitor, why not google her and see how her name comes up?

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 7:17am
post #3 of 10

I'll bet its wishful thinking on her part. Dang, that lady just needs to order and be done with it already! icon_biggrin.gif

AZCakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCakeGirl Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 8:01am
post #4 of 10

If you REALLY want to know & are fairly confident of the prices in your area, the next time that she contacts you, tell her you've noticed that she has received quites from you before (leave it at that & don't mention anything about whether she's actually ordered from you or not). Offer her a one time "Competitor Price Match". Give her 10% off any other price she finds in the area (except grocery store cakes). If she takes you up on the offer, then you have a good idea that she is for real. Of course this is kind of risky since you could end up doing a $300.00 cake for $50.00, but it depends on how badly you want to know.

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 6:17pm
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCakeGirl

If you REALLY want to know & are fairly confident of the prices in your area, the next time that she contacts you, tell her you've noticed that she has received quites from you before (leave it at that & don't mention anything about whether she's actually ordered from you or not). Offer her a one time "Competitor Price Match". Give her 10% off any other price she finds in the area (except grocery store cakes). If she takes you up on the offer, then you have a good idea that she is for real. Of course this is kind of risky since you could end up doing a $300.00 cake for $50.00, but it depends on how badly you want to know.

Sorry but to me that sounds like overkill for someone just asking for quotes!! JMO. I would just keep quoting. She may just have an event in the future and she's considering you to do the cake. Ya never know.

AZCakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCakeGirl Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 3:32am
post #6 of 10

Yeah, that's why I said it depends on how badly she wants to know.

Laura612 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laura612 Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 4:20pm
post #7 of 10

I would let her know you remember her name but leave it at that...

"Oh, its nice to hear from you again"

#1 If she is doing something sneaky, she'll more than likely move on to another person to get her info and stop wasting your time.

#2 If she is hoping to use your service but keeps getting shot down (DH, co-worker, etc)... she'll push harder to be allowed to get one of your cakes if she feels that she has a "personal" relationship with you.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 1:37am
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura612

I would let her know you remember her name but leave it at that...

"Oh, its nice to hear from you again"

I think that's the perfect answer right there!! Although, it would drive me crazy and I would want to know more!

CindiM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CindiM Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 2:29am
post #9 of 10

I agree with your husband. This person gets a $300 quote from you and tells her customer they can do it for $275 or what ever.

We call those people and pretend we are customers trying to find someone to make a cake for us. You would be surprised what you find when you do a little, as we like to call it "research"! icon_twisted.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 12:05am
post #10 of 10

Yea it sounds like she's "price checking".......heck, I do it too with both of my businesses, hair and cakes. It's a good way to see what my competition is charging.

If you're concerned about giving your prices to a competitor you could answer her e-mail with a vague quote. "The cake you requested would cost somewhere between $75 - $100 depending on detail and flavors."

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%