What To Do

Decorating By Chefperl Updated 9 Nov 2008 , 11:52pm by -K8memphis

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 4:31pm
post #31 of 40
Quote:
Quote:

You can say that you prefer not to disclose the recipes you use, but that you use only the best ingredients.

Unfortunately, I think if you tell her that you prefer not to disclose your recipes, or that they're "trade secrets", she will just assume you don't want to tell her it's a mix. This goes back to what k8memphis was saying about the stigma of cake mixes. Scratch bakers usually want to shout that they're ALL SCRATCH! party.gifparty.gifparty.gif from the rooftops, and bakers who use a mix are trying to find ways to hide it. (I am in NO way making a judgement - I haven't yet found a scratch white cake that beats a doctored Pillsbury mix).

To be honest, I don't quite know what to make of this lady's questioning of your recipes. Yes, in one sense it's none of her beeswax to ask if you are scratch or mix, but if she's writing an article about you and she was planning on writing "all scratch", then she doesn't want to be made a liar. I do hope some of these recipes that have been posted are fabulous and you can go back to her with the answer she obviously wants.

I do agree with everyone else - if she likes the taste, then it shouldn't matter. She can write that you bake using fresh ingredients of the highest quality, and that's the honest to gosh truth. thumbs_up.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 9:57pm
post #32 of 40

If it was me I'd have no trouble saying that I am a 21st Century baker. I have a high speed mixer, a convection oven, an air brush, and a worthy delivery vehicle that neither eats hay nor requires the use of a shovel.

Therefore I use the finest 21 Century ingredients. A variety of which include additives. For example, white flour alone is chock full of chemicals in the form of vitamin enrichment and malted barley flour which is added to improve yeast baking.

What is scratch? Do I mill my flour? No. Do I chop my sugar cane? No. Do I at least gather my own eggs? Mmmnope. Are there additives in the most innocent of ingredients. Yes.

I am a 21st Century baker and I use everything at my disposal to make the best product possible. I do not limit myself to antiquated formulas and ancient technology. I am a 21st Century baker and I approve this ad.

<highfive>

And I'd put the Carl Sagan quote that I'll paraphrase, 'to bake from scratch you gotta create the universe.'

-K8memphis Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 10:16pm
post #33 of 40

So in the truest sense, flour is a pre-measured ingredient--it has things added to make it a better ingredient--it's not just wheat flour that the germ has been removed. It's wheat flour, malted barley flour and vitamins. I think the barley flour adds sweetness for the yeast and also zips up the browning capability.

It sounds to me that using regular white flour is using a mix, ie a mixture of flours. Now White Lily flour does not have the additives and it sucks for making cakes too.

People who do scratch cakes are much more limited in the scope of what they can accomplish. Not only does the baker suffer but the consumer suffers too from the antiquated formulas that do not snap crackle and pop because their cakes are not as resilient.

Duncan Hines has no preservatives in their white cake mix.

icon_biggrin.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 10:25pm
post #34 of 40

They are asking if it is scratch or not, because secretly...they want to try to make the exact same thing.

And if they can make the exact same thing, then, well heck! I don't have to pay that crazy decorator down the street!

Next thing you know...they're selling cakes on the sly out of their unlicensed kitchen down the street and you are closing the doors to your business.

I'm kidding, just a little humor....very little. Ok, I'm outta here. icon_biggrin.gif

SharonK1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonK1973 Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 10:35pm
post #35 of 40

If this is really important for you, I would suggest that you tell her you make both, depending on what the clients prefer, then work on a scratch cake, possibly one provided in this thread to get it as moist as you can. It will be something that will benefit you in the longer run because you will be able to cater to people who prefer scratch and those who don't, while at the same time you won't be lying, you get your story in the paper, and resulting clients get to choose whether they want the scratch or box cake. All the power to you!

marknelliesmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marknelliesmum Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 10:43pm
post #36 of 40

Hi
You might want to take a look at these recipes - the links were supplied by JanH (no surprise there thumbs_up.gif ). I always bake from scratch ( not coz i'm a cake snob but as far as I am aware over here we don't have the selection of box mixes you guys have). Jan pm'd me these as I requested help with making recipes that call for box mixes - if you are out there Jan i hope you don't mind me sharing your expertise.

Here's a recipe for making your own cake mix in bulk:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-de.....9223-.html

DH chocolate cake mix copy cat recipe:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cak.....pycat.html

Smaller make your own cake mix recipe:

http://www.recipezaar.com/192436

Another bulk cake mix recipe:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-de.....9589-.html

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 5:09pm
post #37 of 40

I only make scratch cake for myself and other adults. Kids, I make doctored mix. You can certainly tell the difference. Scratch is like more of a texture like Pepperidge Farm bread and mix has a texture more like Wonder Bread.
Just be honest and tell her it is a mix. Why hide or lie? If you would like the order, tell her that you are willing to try out some scratch cakes.
There are several that I like and they are on the scratch thread someone listed. I like the buttermilk cake and there is a chocolate Guiness cake. The key too scratch cake is a simple syrup. Compliment it with a curd and your in like Flynn.

-K8memphis Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 7:31pm
post #38 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by julzs71

...Why hide or lie?...

No one is lying. People tend to be evasive about declaring one way or the other about this issue because it impacts their bottom line.

There's not only a stigma about using cake mix there's also a ton of people who can't get a scratch cake to perform. If a scratch cake is not micromanaged from the mixing bowl to the cake plate it sucks. And when you're doing weddings it's ever the more crucial.

It's such an odd prejudice huh. Cake. Like who cares. But if it's your livelihood it's your livelihood.

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 11:35pm
post #39 of 40

define scratch? I mean really - you made it regardless of what ingredients you put in it! There are people who buy cakes and cupcakes already made from Sam's to decorate themselves. I wouldn't care where the cake came from (box, scratch, bought from Sam's) if it tasted good.

-K8memphis Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 11:52pm
post #40 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonK1973

... and resulting clients get to choose whether they want the scratch or box cake. All the power to you!

Why purposely divide your market? That's business suicide.

The lady writing the article has an agenda. It's not about how the op truthfully operates her business. It's that the reporter wants to highlight an all scratch baker to enhance her own credentials according to what she wrote.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%