Starting Out

Business By Nermal03 Updated 23 Aug 2005 , 3:41am by melodyscakes

Nermal03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nermal03 Posted 15 Aug 2005 , 5:47pm
post #1 of 4

Just curious how everyone began advertising and getting there name out there. I've just moved to a new town and don't know many people. Any great advertising ideas would be appreciated. Also I'm just going to be making cakes from my home. How do you all go about collecting your deposits. Do you ask the customers to come to your home or do you go to them?

Thanks for the help,
Rachel icon_smile.gif

3 replies
ge978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ge978 Posted 15 Aug 2005 , 5:53pm
post #2 of 4

Rachel...the advertising depends on your situation. For example, if you are not licensed to make cakes your advertising choices are limited. I own a little bakery/deli and when I first started out I advertised by doing bartering. I would trade someone who worked at a printing company a cake for 200 business cards. I also still trade cakes with my hairdresser in exchange for highlighting my hair. That way we both get what we want and she passes out my card to her clients. If you are not licensed you just have to be more careful...word of mouth, maybe doing a cake for free and donating it somewhere with your name to get exposure. I hope this helped. Sorry for the long post!

SweetCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetCreations Posted 23 Aug 2005 , 3:04am
post #3 of 4

Wow Ge that is great to trade cake for highlights and business cards. I would also donate to Schools, Fire Dept. and Church Functions.

~Sweet~ =0)

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 23 Aug 2005 , 3:41am
post #4 of 4

i barter with my friends all the time, i pay my hair dresser with an apple pie, stuff like that. i am always bartering with my friends. its alot of fun and we both win.
melody

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%