Cookie Help Please.

Baking By sasporella Updated 30 Oct 2008 , 5:17pm by toleshed

sasporella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sasporella Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 3:14pm
post #1 of 19

Does anyone know what causes the cookie dough to loose its shape when baking? I am trying to make the witch fingers and everytime they just spread that much that they don't even look like anything other than a shape. I have read on some forums that NFSC is best for making them but what does that stand for. I have searched for the recipe and i can't seem to find it. Can anyone help me please?

18 replies
khufstetler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khufstetler Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 3:42pm
post #2 of 19

NFSC stands for No Fail Sugar Cookie and the recipe is here:

http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2055-No-Fail-Sugar-Cookies.html

They really are no-fail. I use it RELIGEOUSLY!

Tips:

Roll your dough out (or shape it) onto parchment paper immediately after making it then freeze thoroughly. Go from freezer straight onto a NOT HOT cookie sheet (still on parchment) and into the oven.

HTH! (hope this helps!) icon_wink.gif

sasporella Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 3:45pm
post #3 of 19

Thankyou so much, you have been a big help. icon_biggrin.gif

trishalynn0708 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trishalynn0708 Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 3:48pm
post #4 of 19

I am going to use that recipe on Thursday to make my neices cookies to take to school for her class for Halloween.. I can not wait to try it. My mom is making a big deal about me using that recipe because it doesn't have any nutmeg in it. She said ALL sugar cookies have nutmeg.. lol! So, we will see.

mandi1613 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandi1613 Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 3:52pm
post #5 of 19

[She said ALL sugar cookies have nutmeg.. ]

i'm sure you can add a little nutmeg to the recipe without comprimising the quality of the cookie

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 3:53pm
post #6 of 19

I do the same thing, only I use Penny's recipe and they don't lose their shape either. In my experience, Penny's recipe yields a better cookie.. it's more tender. The recipes are pretty much the same, only Penny's has heavy cream in it.

You can find it here:

http://www.texasmonthly.com/2000-12-01/recipe.php

I usually use either Antonia's royal icing (you can find that recipe on CC) or fondant to decorate them. Just roll out some fondant while they are baking and use the same cookie cutter you cut the cookies out with to cut out a fondant "cookie" and let it set up a little before placing them on your cookies right when they come from the oven. The heat with melt to fondant onto the cookie and you have a perfectly covered cookie to now detail with royal icing. icon_smile.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 3:55pm
post #7 of 19

Nutmeg? I have never had a sugar cookie with nutmeg in it so not ALL sugar cookies have it.. icon_wink.gif. Moms.. icon_rolleyes.gif can't live with 'em.. can't sell 'em on eBay. icon_lol.gif

l80bug79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
l80bug79 Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 4:24pm
post #8 of 19

last batch i made i substituted 8 oz of cream cheese for 8 oz of butter and loved how they taste. takes a little more time in the freezer when cutting them out.

maimerbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maimerbaker Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 4:25pm
post #9 of 19

...can't sell moms on ebay! That is too funny.

Jkalman - Thanks for your tips on fondant covered cookies. I never would have thought to add it on straight out of the oven, but it makes sense. I am also going to check out Penny's recipe. I saw you mention it in other posts, but was not sure who Penny was icon_smile.gif

khufstetler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khufstetler Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 4:30pm
post #10 of 19

No nutmeg here either...never even considered it, sounds more like a snickerdoodle. I did have a seven year old tell her mom she didn't like the NFSC because there was too much 'almond paste' in it.

icon_surprised.gif

SOMEONE has been watching too much Food Network (like there is such a thing as too much, haha - just ask my 11 year old who is in love with Alton Brown)

icon_rolleyes.gif

hanacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hanacakes Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 7:08pm
post #11 of 19

i am sooooo glad to have found this...i was having the same issue with my cookies. they were just flat ovals by the time they came out of the oven...hopefully my next batch will be more successfull. =)

toleshed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toleshed Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 12:27pm
post #12 of 19

These witches fingers are "naked" aren't they? No fondant on them? I'm making them tomorrow also

toleshed Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 1:40pm
post #13 of 19

Does anyone know if melted choc. will hold the almond on?

sasporella Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 1:57pm
post #14 of 19

i just don't know what i am doing wrong. I followed the recipe for NFSC and still they spread in the oven. Anyone know what i am doing or not doing. At first i thought i might be making the fingers too big and thick so i made then smaller and flatter but still they spread.

toleshed Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 2:00pm
post #15 of 19

Yeah I made mine from The Flour Pot's recipe and they spread also. I'm going to call mine "monster toes" instead of witches fingers.

sasporella Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 2:06pm
post #16 of 19

icon_lol.gif Monster toes, i like it .I think i'm just going to give it up as a bad job and do something else instead. The kids are happy though they love cookies no matter what shape they are.

toleshed Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 2:09pm
post #17 of 19

Mine are going to a grown-up party. I'll post a pic when I'm done. They don't look that bad

Dawanka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dawanka Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 2:13pm
post #18 of 19

sasporella here is a recipe I found online and used it to make star cutouts and they didn't melt. I made them just last thursday. My boyfriend loved the taste.

No-chill Cutout Sugar Cookies
This is a nice sugar cookie which doesn't require that you chill the dough before you roll it out. We recommend you roll it out between two sheets of waxed paper to prevent sticking.

Makes about 24
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons baking powder
3 cups all-purpose flour

Preheat oven to 375°F. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar with an electric mixer. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Add baking powder and flour one cup at a time, mixing after each addition. Dough will be stiff. Do not chill dough. Divide dough in half. Roll each half about 1/8 inch thick. Dip cutters into flour before each use. Bake cookies on ungreased cookie sheet on middle rack of oven for 8-12 minutes, or until cookies are lightly browned.

toleshed Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 5:17pm
post #19 of 19

Well my witch fingers don't look as nice as whoevers it was the posted the picture, but they aren't too bad. Heres a pic (I hope)

www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1282198&done=1

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%