My Kitchenaid Horror Story...( Longish)

Decorating By snarkybaker Updated 31 Oct 2008 , 2:05am by mkolmar

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 1:48am
post #1 of 39

Normally, I don't like to do these things, but we all share stories about things we love to use in our kitchens. I have been a quite loyal kitchenaid customer, including the purchase of 3 different 600 professional models in the last two years. It's important to me to but American when I can. But the quality and lack of customer service at Kitchenaid has me severly disappointed.

One day this spring, BOTH my 600's blew their motors in two days. I called Kitchenaid. Wouldn't you know it, they were 55 days out of warranty. So I took them to the authorized repair place in Winston Salem and went out to buy a replacement so I could work.

The repairman called two days later and basically said- "go buy new machines. they're cr*p and not worth fixing". I called Kitchenaid who after much discussion agreed to fix the two machines. We sent them off to Michigan.

We have been working with the "replacement" machine in the kitchen since April, when lo and behold, Saturday morning, the motor head just fell off machine no.3. ( Machines nos. 1 and 2 were shiped back in August - 4 months to repair) We said gosh, aren't we lucky we have these back up mixers, since it's a busy weekend and all. Guess what...neither of the two mixers were repaired. That's right, they kept them for 4 months and sent them back unrepaired, without so much as a note saying why.

Well, I called Kitchenaid who sent out a box for mixer No. 3 to be repaired and or replaced, and nos. 1 and 2 will leave next week sometime, so just in time for holiday baking I have over $1000 invested in these three Kitchenaid stand mixers, plus the eleven extra bowls,not to mention the other two I own, ( that are just too small for daily use) and don't have a single working mixer...except for the Cuisinart 7 qt.

Kitchenaid advertises that they last for a lifetime, well I suppose that is true, if your lifespan is somewhere between a swallowtail catapillar and a tree toad.

38 replies
TJCanadian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TJCanadian Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 2:01am
post #2 of 39

I'm so sorry you're going through this, professional grade doesn't always mean professional grade anymore. I hear wonderful things about Cuisinart, I hope that one holds out for you.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 2:31am
post #3 of 39

That is really terrible! Hopefully, they will fix them and send them back much quicker. I would just call every single day and ask about the status of your KA's. This might motivate them to complete the work sooner!

Goodluck!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 3:21am
post #4 of 39

Gosh, with that kind of volume requirement and $ outlay, I think I'd go buy this and be done with it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hobart-20-Quart-Countertop-Mixer-Model-A-200_W0QQitemZ220299040504QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item220299040504&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

I have a KA 6 qt. Pro, but it doesn't get really heavy use.

Rae

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 3:28am
post #5 of 39

I blew through 3 KA Pro 6qts in four months. They have know flaws, but I didnt do my reearch before I bought them. Are you sure they're still made in America?

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 3:33am
post #6 of 39

KitchenAid is not what it used to be icon_sad.gif I have a 5qt that is at least 25 years old that still works like a charm, I just can't kill this thing - I borrowed my Mom's NEW 6qt "Pro" and killed it in 3 days. Had to send it out to repair - a one hour drive to the nearest "KA approved" location. Even the repairman said they just don't make 'em like they used to!

I now have 2 7qt DeLonghis - which are pretty good and my trusty ol' 25 year old KA "Bessie"!

So sorry to hear about your troubles and hope they work out soon!

barbaranoel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barbaranoel Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 3:36am
post #7 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

I blew through 3 KA Pro 6qts in four months. They have know flaws, but I didnt do my reearch before I bought them. Are you sure they're still made in America?

Yes, KA are made right here in OH. I've been wanting to go take the tour.

Barb

mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 3:43am
post #8 of 39

last christmas, i blew up my 5 qt ka that my husband had gotten me at costco...who is awesome enough to have an unliimited time return policy. (the mixer was three yrs old, but had only been used for 1 yr). i took it back and then started shopping around for a 6 qt. i went to williams sonoma, and found the 6 qt for $399, and they promised me that as long as i kept my receipt, they would honor a return, no matter how long it had been.

i noticed, after about a month of having it, that it made a strange clicking noise when in high...i wasn't sure if it was normal, but then a few months back , i saw where people had posted on here that their mixer was doing the same. a few weeks back, i finally took it back to williams sonoma, and they traded it out for the new 610 model, which is 610 watts. i kept my new receipt, and if this one gives out, i'll do the exact same.

moral of this incredibly long story: buy with williams sonoma, keep the receipt, and you'll keep getting a new mixer. (if needed)

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 3:56am
post #9 of 39

The 5 quarts are better made/more durable than the 6 quarts. KA had donated all new 6 qt mixers to the culinary school I attended and they all quickly died. After another replacement round the chef requested 5 qt mixers and they've lasted for years! At home I have 2 KA 5 qt mixers and I've never had an issue.

SweetResults Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 3:57am
post #10 of 39

Thanks mixinvixen! Good to know! If I decide to add a 4th mixer to the family (and I'd like to!) I'll know where to go!

newnancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newnancy Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 4:12am
post #11 of 39

Mixinvixen,
This is a tip a learner from a salesperson. When you're going to keep a receipt for a long time, photocopy it......receipts he said now days don't last as long as they used to because of the ink & they fade over time & that's how come they won't cover some warranties because the receipts are not readable.

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 11:03am
post #12 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixinvixen

moral of this incredibly long story: buy with williams sonoma, keep the receipt, and you'll keep getting a new mixer. (if needed)

I'm on my 3rd mixer from WS!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 12:13pm
post #13 of 39

Leahs -- so what do you use now instead of KA's?

And SweetResults -- I've never heard of a DeLonghis. But you really like it and think it's better than a KA?

TIA!

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 12:34pm
post #14 of 39

I agree my 5 quart and 4 quart hum along, I bought one of the 6 quarts last year CHEAP and that's what I got. I 've had it for a year but the thing has made a noise from the beginning. I'm waiting daily for it to take a fit. Crossing fingers it makes it through the holidays.

I love the 20 quart hobart but couldn't afford it so bought a 20 quart from Ebay for 600.00 I figure if I get a couple years out of it I can move on to another better one IF I stay in baking out of the house.

I NEED a convection overn so I'm hoping that's next on the list, I really like the looks of that 7 quart Viking one, I noticed even Emeril had one of those the other day, I was wondering where his Kitchenaid went??????

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 12:38pm
post #15 of 39

My understanding that Kitchenaid is no longer made by the people that used to make Kitchenaid when they were good. They sold to someone, can't remember who, but quality went down after that. I bought my Kitchenaid is 1990 and it works like a charm and I could never get rid of it. I'm really sorry to hear how bad quality has gone down on them. It's a shame.

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 12:40pm
post #16 of 39

I have a 5 qt KA, and the balloon whip broke a tine (Tyne?) or maybe it's called a spoke....on about my 15th batch. The white coating on my paddle is coming off, too. The pin that holds the head on typically falls out after about 10 minutes of mixing.

I've had the thing for about 6 months.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 12:45pm
post #17 of 39

I also blow up kitchen aids all the time. I have learned to repair the gears that strip (the parts are about 25 dollars) but when the motors blow, I just go buy a refurbished one (there is a kitchen collection store at the Airport mall, Kat..you can buy refurbished there) The gears strip on my kitchen aids usually after about 6 months. They cannot handle buttercream, period. I have been saving up to buy a hobart. I am afraid of the offbrand 20 quart mixers, unless someone has a good story to tell about one. I too am disgusted with Kitchenaid. (although I still have my original from 25 years ago and its going strong..they obvously do not make them like they used to!)

rvercher23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rvercher23 Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 12:57pm
post #18 of 39

While were on the subject......Is anyone elses Profess. Series very very loud, or is it just mine. My friend has the classic, and it is so quiet, but when I turn mine on, it sounds like a train is going through my house. I am wondering if I should get it reapired or if it is normal, it is only a few months old.

SweetResults Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 12:58pm
post #19 of 39

The DeLonghi's used to be Kenmore and were bought out.

The first one I had I did kill with a few batches of MMF - but I believe that was really "User Error" and not the mixers fault, I also killed my Mom's newer KA that way as well. I don't make it anymore, I go through too much fondant to bother.

I got the first DeLonghi fixed and through a mix-up (long story) ended up with a new mixer as well, only another $150 out of pocket. The customer service can be really bad or really good - buy it from a respectable place (not a website that says it is authorized to sell them - can you tell what I did wrong the first time?) and save your receipt and customer service will be super.

I am happy with my DeLonghi's, I run them ragged, I have had them shut off only once or twice while making French Meringue Buttercream, I think because it was running for over 30 min and under the cabinets a bit, so there was not enough ventilation so it was overheating a bit with the hot sugar and hot air blowing out of it (it has a vent on the side). I shut it off and it came back on fine in a few minutes. If I make sure there is plenty of space around it while it is working this does not happen.

One is a bit noisy, the newer one (only 1 year difference between the two) is much quieter - but again I think that is due to the fact that the guy who fixed the first one for me did something, it squeaks a bit.

But all in all I am happy with them. DH LOVES it when I have all three mixers going at the same time!!! NOT!!! icon_biggrin.gif

leah_s Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 1:00pm
post #20 of 39

I haeve my mother's KA also - probably 40 yeas old. It's gong strong. I really, really don't think they're made here any more.

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 1:05pm
post #21 of 39

I have a pro600 and a delonghi 7qt mixer. It's a long story as to how I got them both, but I have them now.

I love my Delonghi. I work that thing hard, I would rather wash and re-wash the bowl than use the KA.

Side by Side:

The 7qt Delonghi has a tilt head design, where the KA has the bowl lift design. The Delonghi splatter shield attaches to the head so when you lift it, the shield just goes on up too. It also pulses up to 1100watt. the bowl is deeper and more narrow, so you can still do smallish batches.

It has 3 attachment ports that you can run in conjunction with the mixer. One day while the RI was taking it's time, I attached my pasta maker and made some fondant hair.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 1:05pm
post #22 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvercher23

While were on the subject......Is anyone elses Profess. Series very very loud, or is it just mine. My friend has the classic, and it is so quiet, but when I turn mine on, it sounds like a train is going through my house. I am wondering if I should get it reapired or if it is normal, it is only a few months old.

Yes, the pro is much noiser, because the gears are made of crap. (the inside of the machine is made up a series of cogs with gears on them) There is heavy coating of special oil on the gears to keep them from overheating and often that is what is failing is the oil. (if you don't use your kitchenaid for a few months, the oil actually will leak out through the beater rod! Kitchenaid acknowledges this and says it "wont hurt anything") When I replaced my gears, I heavily oil them and it is more quiet for a few weeks until the oil (actualy its more of a thick grease) breaks down again.

leah_s Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 1:13pm
post #23 of 39

DeLonghi bought out Kenwood, not Kenmore. I also have 2 DeLonghis - both extremely noisy. My 20 qt Hobart rocks my world.

SweetResults Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 1:47pm
post #24 of 39

Leahs - thank you that is right! I knew something was wrong with that as I was typing it - must...get...more...coffee.

This is what happens when DH leaves without making my espresso.

mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 1:50pm
post #25 of 39

i agree with making sure to make copies of all your high dollar purchases, or even small important ones. ESPECIALLY COSTCO OR SAMS, because we have noticed that they completely fade after about a year, and you're left with a blank piece of white ticker paper. nice huh?

CNCS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CNCS Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 2:00pm
post #26 of 39

I want a viking mixer anyone have one of those?

SweetResults Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 2:17pm
post #27 of 39

oooh I'd love one of those too!

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 4:17pm
post #28 of 39

I agree with Leahs....go buy a 20 qt hobart!! I would keep an eye out on ebay and craigslist for a used one.

That sucks that you have to deal with this mess!

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 5:09pm
post #29 of 39

My Kitchen Aid is an old Hobart model, it's pushing 40 years works fine, and I know it cost close to $200 then. I knew there was a problem with the prices of the new Kitchen Aids; they were way too cheap. So I did a little searching; Hobart may have sold the Kitchen Aid brand, but they still make 5 quart mixers. However, plan on paying over $2000 for a new one. If you have the need for a twenty quart, buying one of them either new or used sounds like a very good idea; however they are in the $4000+ range new.

snowboarder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowboarder Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 5:52pm
post #30 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narie

My Kitchen Aid is an old Hobart model, it's pushing 40 years works fine, and I know it cost close to $200 then. I knew there was a problem with the prices of the new Kitchen Aids; they were way too cheap. So I did a little searching; Hobart may have sold the Kitchen Aid brand, but they still make 5 quart mixers. However, plan on paying over $2000 for a new one. If you have the need for a twenty quart, buying one of them either new or used sounds like a very good idea; however they are in the $4000+ range new.

I've got an old Hobart KA too. It's a champion.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%