Disappointed And Haven't Even Made The Cake Yet....

Decorating By tracycakes Updated 31 Oct 2008 , 2:28pm by tracycakes

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 7:10pm
post #1 of 26

A friend of mine is having a baby and she is really into frogs and is going to decorate her babies room (a boy) with frogs. So, I was going to give her a shower with a frog theme but someone else had already started planning a shower and we all decided to go together for 1 big shower, the date is set ( Nov. 9), it's at her house and we decided on a frog theme. I designed the cake, so excited about it and couldn't wait to get started. Even my hubby really liked the design. So, I talk to the lady that's doing the planning yesterday and she's decided to go with a primary color theme and she's decorating with a wooden train and bears! icon_eek.gificon_mad.gif Where did THAT come from? So, now I have to change my cake and I'm so disappointed. I was so excited and I don't want to make a train. It's a small thing but dadgum, my control issues are coming out and I WANTED frogs! icon_cry.gif But, it's for Amber so as Tim Gunn says, I will "make it happen". thumbs_up.gificon_lol.gif

25 replies
Pookie59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pookie59 Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 7:16pm
post #2 of 26

Too bad. A frog theme is much more original than trains and bears. I'd be tempted to bring that frog cake anyway. The mom to be would probably LOVE it, but the shower planner would probably get her panties in a twist.

UltimateCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UltimateCakes Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 8:23pm
post #3 of 26

Make both!

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 8:41pm
post #4 of 26

well I hate to suggest going behind the party planners back but is there anyone else involved in the planning? Maybe you could talk to the others and get their opinion of the situation? It doesn't make sense to do trains and such if the mother is doing frogs in the nursery? Another option would be to ask the planner why she chose that theme and remind her that the nursery has frogs. or yet another idea is to do the train but suggest frogs instead of bears maybe?

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 8:44pm
post #5 of 26

I'd do the frogs still too icon_smile.gif... the cake is for the friend who loves them and not the friend who changed the theme right? They probably only changed it because those are the decorations they could easily find. At least put frogs driving and hopping around the train.

tracycakes Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 9:51pm
post #6 of 26

Yes, there are several other people involved in the planning but I'll go along with her theme and do primary colors. I'll put a train on it, along with bears and blocks AND frogs. I'm planning to do 2 tiers and make the items out of gumpaste to put on top and around it, I just haven't come up with a final design yet. The one that is hosting is very much into decorating and Southern Living At Home and the other decorations were easier to get I guess. It will be fine but it won't have the cute lilypad with the sleeping baby on it and the water lilies and dragonflies and turtles that were planned. Besides, making pastel gumpaste and fondant is so much easier that primary colors - as we all well know. icon_wink.gif Oh well, I'll put my heart into it because it's for my friend. thumbs_up.gif

Now, I need to go start this bleeding heart cake that I'm going to make for our little Halloween-themed lunch on Wednesday. Yep, red velvet cake with raspberry inside. icon_lol.gif

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 5:52pm
post #7 of 26

You said you are making two tiers, right? If you make a 10" and a 6", you'd have plenty of room to put the train on top of the 10" (the "ledge area")... then on top of the 6" you can still put your lilly pad with the baby sleeping on it and have some frogs on the cake board and such. I'd lose the bears tho...trains and frogs is my vote.

batty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
batty Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 6:06pm
post #8 of 26

I agree with what somebody else said, make a train going around the two tiers with frogs jumping on and off the train and a bear conductor (if you want to be naughty have a frog throwing the bear out).

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 6:06pm
post #9 of 26

Make the frog the train conductor!

all4cake Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 6:11pm
post #10 of 26

oh batty...I wasn't tryin' to contradict your idea! I hadn't seen it when I typed my response.

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 6:22pm
post #11 of 26

All4Cake, the frog for the train conductor is wonderful.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 6:43pm
post #12 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracycakes

The one that is hosting is very much into decorating and Southern Living At Home and the other decorations were easier to get I guess.

If I missed the part about her being a professional decorator, party planner, sorry for my up coming error icon_biggrin.gif

What does that mean? Into decorating, and Southern living. It sounds like it makes her the "circle" annoited big mouth. Your cake, your $$$, your design. Tell the wannbe HGTV host sure, and make the cake you want to.

Mike

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 6:49pm
post #13 of 26

I'd make a large frog as the conductor on the train, travelling through lily pads.

Mike1394 Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 6:58pm
post #14 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthecake

I'd make a large frog as the conductor on the train, travelling through lily pads.

pulling a bear by the neck icon_biggrin.gif

angelatx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelatx Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 7:00pm
post #15 of 26

oh and frog decorated cookies!! so cute! is this a surprise shower?? maybe someone should ask the mommie to be what she wants?? the shower isn't for the other woman who is trying to control everything. you know someone used a soap frog mold and put an oreo in it, super cute!! instead of the regular molds for the oreos. goodluck!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Angela icon_smile.gif

tracycakes Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 7:04pm
post #16 of 26

Thanks for all of the ideas everyone! There are some great ones and along the lines of what I was thinking of. I love the idea of the train going through lily pads.

If you're not from the south, you may not be familiar with Southern Living - a magazine focused on cooking, traveling and decorating in the south. They have started a decorating company that is sold out of the home and this woman sales these items. She is a really nice lady and just wants everything to look nice and I understand that - no problems.

I could make any cake that I wanted to but I usually have problems coming up with a design no my own and this one just flowed out of me. It was the first times that has ever happen and I was really excited. It will be cute regardless and of course, it will have some frogs.

angelatx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelatx Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 7:07pm
post #17 of 26

well here is the link that has the frog, maybe for another time or this one. icon_biggrin.gif oh seen your cakes, love your work!!! icon_biggrin.gifhttp://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=603139&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=75

batty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
batty Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 7:55pm
post #18 of 26

all4cake-don't worry about it, I was just trying to combine what the to be mother obviously wants with the constraints. I love the idea of a baby sleeping on a lily pad.

all4cake Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 8:22pm
post #19 of 26

train heading into tunnel that goes beneath a pond covered with frogs on lily pads...or over a bridge over a pond...

Mike1394 Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 8:57pm
post #20 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

train heading into tunnel that goes beneath a pond covered with frogs on lily pads...or over a bridge over a pond...

pulling a bear by the neck icon_biggrin.gif

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 9:05pm
post #21 of 26

How about a bear tied to the tracks, like Sweet Polly Purebred?

all4cake Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 9:15pm
post #22 of 26

Poor bears...they didn't do anything to anyone...they're going to be used as pawns in a frivolous froggy masacre

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 4:31pm
post #23 of 26

ROTFLMAO!!!!

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 10:08am
post #24 of 26

. . . how about doing what ever you had originally planned . . . and when asked why you didn't follow the "new plan" . . . just explain . . .

the frogs hired the beavers to cut down the trees and build a damn . . . that covered the tracks and swamped the train that drowned the bears . . . and the frogs lived happily ever after . . . with their neighbors (the beavers) . . .

we all know that fairy tales are really quite brutal . . .

icon_biggrin.gif

. . . pulling a bear by it's neck . . .

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 11:08am
post #25 of 26

Make the frog cake you planned that goes with the mother's choice of nursery. If anyone says anything when you go in, just say it matches the nursery.

As soon as the mother-to-be comes in and sees it she will SOOOOO appreciate a cake truly made for HER. I made a cake for my cousin to go with a theme and it was not what I had hoped to make for her and it was NO FUN and I was not happy about the end result, it was *fine*. Blech. I HATE *fine*.

To heck with everyone else - match the nursery, colors and all - she can decorate however she wants, your cake will match the gifts if anyone buys her nursery stuff. And if they don't mom-to-be will be SOO excited to be able to show everyone her choice for her nursery.

Be strong - don't talk it over with anyone, just make the cake of HER dreams. She will really appreciate your thoughtfullnes.

tracycakes Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 2:28pm
post #26 of 26

Thanks angelatx! That's very sweet of you to say.

You guys are cracking me up! I'm seeing all sorts of visions on this cake now thanks to all of you. icon_lol.gif Not sure if it's a baby shower or a toy war. icon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gif Thanks for all of the ideas and support. I already feel so behind because I haven't started on any of the characters yet.

Our church is opening a new children's wing ( out of the modulars Yea!!! thumbs_up.gif ) and celebrating our 10th anniversary on Sunday. We are having a big Festribration tomorrow. A children's festival and celebration combined. I've been down there alot, and heading there today, to clean, get stuff put up and do whatever else is needed. Sunday afternoon, I get to start on the characters so I guess I finalize the design then.

Keep the ideas coming and who knows what this may turn out like. icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%