What Luster Dust Colors Would You Recommend For A Beginner?

Decorating By Daisys_Cakes Updated 19 Nov 2008 , 7:31pm by brincess_b

Daisys_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daisys_Cakes Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 8:51pm
post #1 of 6

So far the flowers I have made are: roses, hibiscuses, calla lilies, orchids and daisies and the next one I want to try is a lily. When I looked at GSA I was overwhelmed by the all the different colors and shades, so my question is what colors do you think would kick up a notch the flowers I have already tried and which ones are good future investments?

Also another question is what is the difference between luster dust and pearl dust?

Thanks! thumbs_up.gif

5 replies
Daisys_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daisys_Cakes Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 9:11pm
post #2 of 6

Another question is what is the difference between the Global Sugar Art luster dust and the Sunflower Sugar Art luster dust? I looked at the names and the colors and they all look the same, but the Sunflower Sugar Art ones are .50 more expensive.

Chippi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chippi Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 11:20pm
post #3 of 6

I am also curious about the diff. in luster and pearl dust. I use pearl dust on my roses and centers. Hope someone can answer this. Wanted to give you a bump icon_smile.gif

Chippi icon_smile.gif

dynee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dynee Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 11:26pm
post #4 of 6

It depends on what you want to do with it. I have found that if I want to mix paint with vodka or lemon extract, I can make any color I want by adding gel color to Super Pearl.

AlanT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlanT Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 1:08am
post #5 of 6

Luster dusts come in a large variety of colors and are used to add a colored luster effect to the dried gumpaste. All pearl dust is white but reflects colors. For examples, green Pearl dust looks white but will very lightly reflect green shades when brushed on gumpaste. Super Pearl is often used because of the nice pearl finish it gives without adding color.
Most flowers are colored with petal dusts or colored luster dust. Alan

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 7:31pm
post #6 of 6

it depends what colour your flowers are, ive got lemon yellow, moss green, apple green, and red, as thats what il use most of for the arrangement im making in a class, but our teacher has a huge number of different greens for leaves, and lots of colours for all the flowers, like plum. (we use Sugarflair Lustre Colours Edible, like here, look down the list - http://www.apieceofcakethame.co.uk/view_products.aspx?cid=6 ). i get the feeling it becomes a bit addictive! just be careful what you get, anything that is glittery or sparkly, might not actually add that much colour - lesson learnt in class!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%