Fondant

Decorating By cakepanpam Updated 25 Oct 2008 , 8:54pm by cakepanpam

cakepanpam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakepanpam Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 5:59pm
post #1 of 4

I have covered a few cakes in fondant but I have a question about coloring fondant. When you add color to fondant, do you need to be as quick as possible while you are kneading the color in. I was just wandering if the longer you take to add the color in, which sometimes it takes me a while, does it dry out your fondant which could cause cracks. Thanks for any advise.

3 replies
Jennifer9800 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer9800 Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 6:16pm
post #2 of 4

I haven't found it to dry out as long as you are still working it. I mean as long as your not kneading it for hours or something which I'm sure you don't mean that. If you are worried you can use a film of shortening on your work surface instead of corn starch or powdered sugar. Adding those dry powders continuously WILL dry it out even if you're working the fondant. Sometimes if a lot of color has to be added you my need to add some/little dry ingrediant of choice to keep it from getting tooo sticky. But if you're sticking to lighter shades you shouldn't have to worry. FYI, Wilton fondant is HORRIBLE! I hate that stuff. It is difficult to knead, dye, and above all else tastes discusting and dries out a lot making eating it kinda bad so in the future I recommend Satin Ice or Pettinice. I <3 those two. Ok, i'm starting to ramble!! Good luck.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 8:41pm
post #3 of 4

I use a semi-homemade fondant , and no, no problems at all with it drying out.

Jen icon_smile.gif

cakepanpam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakepanpam Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 8:54pm
post #4 of 4

oh, thank-you both so much for the advise. I have heard so many good things about Satin Ice Fondant, I will give it a try..... I went to my bakery today and they had it, I can't wait to try it out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%