Not Finishing A Cake....

Decorating By tugboat Updated 24 Oct 2008 , 3:38pm by mamacc

tugboat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tugboat Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 11:49am
post #1 of 5

Has anyone ever not finished a cake for someone? Maybe because everything went wrong with it and you just couldn't fixed it? I am suppose to make a cake for a girl I work with (we are pretty good friends) it is for her guy friend whose birthday was last weekend. This was her gift to him. Everything went wrong with this cake...first of all it is a carved cake and is shaped like a Chinese (?) throwing star so it has like 8 points on this thing. Anyway my icing melted really bad, my cake started oozing, and I couldn't get this thing iced. On top of that one of the points broke off as well! I am going to have to tell her that I couldn't get it to work out. What is the best way of telling her? Has anyone ever had this problem or something similar where you had to tell the customer you couldn't make the cake?

4 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 12:13pm
post #2 of 5

I would probably do anything in my power to still produce a cake...even if it meant going to a bakery, buying a cake already made, cutting it to shape, and re-icing it last minute. I would think it would be better to say "Here is your cake, sorry its not exactly what we planned" rather than "Sorry I have no cake for you."

Good luck!

Tandoori Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tandoori Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 12:15pm
post #3 of 5

Tugboat I have to agree with Kitagrl! Why don't you just make a regular cake and place an ornament on top in the shape of chinese throwing star?

MosMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MosMom Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 12:17pm
post #4 of 5

I agree with Kita. Even if you had to bake a quick sheet cake or buy one and do a quick frozen buttercream transfer or draw a throwing star on it. SOMETHING for her to give to her friend.

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 3:38pm
post #5 of 5

I agree too....I would probably try doing a regular round cake with a fondant throwing star on top with some kind of cool design on the sides.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%