Fondant Overlay,or Scalloped Impression Mat???

Decorating By janebrophy Updated 24 Oct 2008 , 5:23am by ceshell

janebrophy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janebrophy Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 2:35pm
post #1 of 2

I feel like a bit of a moron posting this question without a pic, but I can't find one that fits what I'm talking about!
You know the cakes that are fondant covered, they have usually got 2 different colours of fondant, and what looks like a scalloped overlay on top. Then, I assume, the overlay gets piped borders around it to make it look like one piece on the cake?? I'm just wondering if there is a scalloped template somewhere to make this a really precise cut?
LOL, this sounds crazy, but if anyone can make sense of what I'm saying, I'd love some help! icon_rolleyes.gif

1 reply
ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 5:23am
post #2 of 2

I think I know what you mean. I have been curious to find a scallop cutter too (actually I thought I found one, I bought it only to discover the scallops were smaller than I'd expected). I did a cheap-n-dirty version using a cut-up coke can (seriously, it was so ghetto!) on my diaper caddy cake in my gallery; although that cake isn't the fondant-on-fondant look you're describing, it is a scalloped overlay. Anyway would have been oodles easier with a proper cutter. You know you could make your own cutters, just do a search for the make-your-own-cookie-cutter threads, it's just a matter of getting the proper gauge food-safe metal.

Quote by @%username% on %date%