How About A Thread To Seriously Discuss Pancakes??

Decorating By 3GCakes Updated 27 Oct 2008 , 6:31pm by newmansmom2004

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 12:57am
post #31 of 56

I'll give you my standby recipe.. icon_smile.gif

1 c flour
2 tsp sugar
1 TBSP corn meal
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda

3/4 c buttermilk
1/4 c milk
1 egg
2 TBSP melted butter
(all room temp)

Combine dry ingredients in a bowl and mix until combined.

In separate bowl scramble the egg andthen add the buttermilk, milk and then mix in the melted butter and add to the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined (if it's too thick you can add a little milk more to thin it) and let sit for 5 minutes or so.

Cook on a hot griddle and enjoy.

Bossy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bossy Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 1:12am
post #32 of 56

Anyone have a good recipe for pumpkin pancakes like ihop has this time of year? I just love them. I train every weekend to run a marathon and I go straight out for pancakes when I done, stinky and all, LOL!!

yvy_cano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yvy_cano Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 1:41am
post #33 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossy

Anyone have a good recipe for pumpkin pancakes like ihop has this time of year? I just love them. I train every weekend to run a marathon and I go straight out for pancakes when I done, stinky and all, LOL!!

FROM ALL RECIPES - (Got a lot of good reviews)

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Pumpkin-Pancakes/Detail.aspx

INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)

* 2 cups all-purpose flour
* 3 tablespoons brown sugar
* 2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1 teaspoon ground allspice
* 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1 1/2 cups milk
* 1 cup pumpkin puree
* 1 egg
* 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
* 2 tablespoons vinegar

* add to recipe box Add to Recipe Box
My folders:
* add to shopping list Add to Shopping List
* add a personal note Add a Personal Note

DIRECTIONS

1. In a separate bowl, mix together the milk, pumpkin, egg, oil and vinegar. Combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, allspice, cinnamon, ginger and salt, stir into the pumpkin mixture just enough to combine.
2. Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each pancake. Brown on both sides and serve hot.

angelatx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelatx Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 1:59am
post #34 of 56

i'm with indydebi, let me sleep and then lets have lunch!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif my husband does all the breakfast on the weekends here (i'll have to show him the recipes on here, for sure!!) cuz i sleep in late after "attempting" to be super mommie all week long, hehehe! (mind you i said "attempting") Have a great one everyone!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 2:04am
post #35 of 56

Some of these sound so good, but my kids are the pickiest, straight out of a box for them. But my girls and I arent big breakfast eaters, like hardly at all for some reason.

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 2:11am
post #36 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelatx

i'm with indydebi, let me sleep and then lets have lunch!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif my husband does all the breakfast on the weekends here (i'll have to show him the recipes on here, for sure!!) cuz i sleep in late after "attempting" to be super mommie all week long, hehehe! (mind you i said "attempting") Have a great one everyone!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

That's why they invented "brunch" -- sleep in and still have breakfast! thumbs_up.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 2:21am
post #37 of 56

LOL.. Brunch is the best thing ever invented.. mmmmmmmmmmm

I used to have a big family brunch at least once a month.. quiches, scrambled eggs, pancakes, fried potatoes, toast, mimosas, *drooooooooool*

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 2:29am
post #38 of 56

This Buttermilk recipe came from allrecipes.  It's super simple and delish.  I like to let the batter sit for a 20-30 minutes.  It seems to make them fluffier.  I may be crazy though. http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Buttermilk-Pancakes-II/Detail.aspx
Here is an apple oatcake that is delicious.  You can top it with creme fraiche and  walnuts.  When I worked there the chef would alway make them for me and I would put qpple butter also. http://www.recipezaar.com/22531  I definately want to try the pumpkin and I also would love the banana pancakes. They both sound delish.I have never heard of cornmeal.  What is the texture like?  I'll have to try them.  I have buttermilk in the fridge.  Oh, are they for kids.  I have two who eat anything and then I have two who complain about everything.

Ruby2uesday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruby2uesday Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 2:42am
post #39 of 56

i just LOVE the Melt in Your Mouth Pancake recipe on the bisquick box! lol everyone in my house raves about them. I add mini chocolate chips and i don't even use syrup although my son still drowns his! LOL

Also, the Lancaster Hotel in Houston, TX makes the BEST Cornmeal pancakes! HEAVEN!!!!

Denise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denise Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 2:56am
post #40 of 56

OK ladies I will share my "Denise's Famous Pancakes" recipe. I have made pancakes for church breakfasts that has good ole Herb P. begging for the left overs, it has been given in pretty jars for Christmas presents, flown overseas for my "extra child" who was begging for it and my kid's friends freak out over them. My kids really don't like other pancakes now after eating these.

2 cups all purpose flour
2 cups whole milk
2 extra large eggs
6 tablespoons Crisco Oil
5 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 to 3/4 tsp salt
3 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons cinnamon
3 heaping serving spoons of applebutter

(ok...this is the thing...it is the spoon that you would serve veggies with----ya know...bigger than a table spoon but not those big giant long handled thingies. I would say it is about 1/2 to 2/3 cup)

Beat until smooth. Pour 1/4 cup onto heated griddle (griddle is ready when drops of water dance on around)

Cook until covered with bubbles and then flip over and finish cooking.

As you pull each one off of the griddle slap a blob of butter on top of each pancake. Serve with HOT maple syrup or Log Cabin or Mrs. Buttersworth. I like all of those syrups but make sure the syrup is hot.

Y'all let me know how you like them. My family goes bananas over them and I hope y'all like them too.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 4:42am
post #41 of 56

Thanks for the recipes! So I am going to have to make pancakes every day of this coming week, huh?!

serenelui Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
serenelui Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 6:21am
post #42 of 56

Oh wow!!! I was only gone a couple of hours and look how the thread has grown! Thanks all for sharing all those gorgeous recipes.. definitely will be trying them one by one over the weekends icon_smile.gif

Denise could i ask whether you could use regular oil instead of Crisco oil and how the heck do i get apple butter?! Can't find it where i am icon_sad.gif

Denise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denise Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 4:56pm
post #43 of 56

Hummmm....I have used melted butter before but it doesn't work as good as the Crisco. I guess any vegetable oil will do - I have also melted Crisco to use if I didn't have the oil.

You should be able to get apple butter just about anywhere - it is with the jelly and preserves!

Bossy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bossy Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 9:47pm
post #44 of 56

Thanks yvy_cano! I think I'll the pumpkin pancakes this weekend.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 11:13pm
post #45 of 56

I must be the un-fun mommy on here.
I hate pancakes, always have. I don't like syrup either (I'm also one of the few on here who don't like Oreos). I'm a freak I know. However, my family loves them so I make them often.

I make my pancakes with 2/3 whole wheat flour with 1/3 all purpose. I use applesauce instead of oil and drizzle it with all natural honey or 100% maple syrup.
I changed them over to this one day and they all loved them so this is what I use now.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 1:35am
post #46 of 56

My go to pancake recipes is

1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
1 cup buttermilk
2 Tablespoon honey

I love this recipe because I can add in cinnamon and nutmeg if I want to with some grated up apples for some yummy apple pancakes. Or throw in a handful or two of blueberries.

I've made it using powder buttermilk and it still comes out yummy. Not as fluffy as with the buttermilk but still good.

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 1:25am
post #47 of 56

DH is the Breakfast Man around here. I am with Debi - unless it is a bowl of junky cereal (one of my biggest downfalls!)

DH makes crepes almost every weekend - once hockey season really gets rolling you never know who is gonna end up on the doorstep Saturday morning to see if Mr. T is making crepes, boys and parents alike! He makes a great cappuccino and espresso as well. He makes the crepes as fast as he can, and I serve 'em up to each kid. He has a big crepe-maker and uses a wooden spreader - we are actually on our second one, the first one blew up from overuse after a few years.

I love 'em with Nutella or jam, fresh strawberries diced up with a little Triple Sec mixed in, fresh bananas, the boys like syrup on the inside, rolled up, a little more syrup on the top and a dusting of powdered sugar. YUM! Gotta love a man who makes breakfast!

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 1:31am
post #48 of 56

and what is your address again SweetResults? No reason, just curious. If you don't mind coming for a visit some Saturday and then if he just happens to be making breakfast, lucky me.....

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 2:26am
post #49 of 56

Um... do ya have to be able to play hockey, cuz I LUUUUV me some crepes, but cannot stay up on ice skates! icon_redface.gificon_lol.gif

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 5:56pm
post #50 of 56

Don't worry - I can't stay up on skates very well either! Although "technically" I "taught" my oldest how to skate, meaning the first time he was on skates I stuck with him enough until he was skating circles around me that same day at age 6! icon_wink.gif

Just head to Framingham and smell your way to our house - there is always room at the breakfast bar!

Actually I'm thinking that with Halloween this Friday that this Saturday may be a Crepe Morning. Maybe I will make the batter for him on Friday afternoon... hmmmm.....

Melvira Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 5:59pm
post #51 of 56

Hey, if you're in the mood for some savory crepes to go with your sweet ones, let me know! I have the most awesome recipe for sausage crepes. It is just fantabulous!!!

BREN28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BREN28 Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 6:05pm
post #52 of 56

has anybody tried pancakes with melted choc ganache on top? i made choc chip pancakes and melted some left over ganache i had in the frige,poured it on top of the pancakes and let my son try it. he loved it,it really was yummy!!

melvin01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melvin01 Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 6:07pm
post #53 of 56

Melvira, what DON'T you have an awesome receipe for?? I am thinking that I want to move to Iowa and be your official taste-tester!! But my waistline doesn't need it...but you put the two of us together and we would rule the world! MUAHAHAHA! {sinister moustache twisting}

I haven't even read the entire thread, but you guys had me at pancake!

If we ever get a waffle thread....

Melvira Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 6:11pm
post #54 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by melvin01

Melvira, what DON'T you have an awesome receipe for?? I am thinking that I want to move to Iowa and be your official taste-tester!! But my waistline doesn't need it...but you put the two of us together and we would rule the world! MUAHAHAHA! {sinister moustache twisting}

Hehehehe icon_redface.gificon_lol.gif I do have LOTS of good recipes! I'm quite a cook, so I've been told! People are always telling me I should open a restaurant, but I don't know that I'd be happy with that. I think I would much prefer a B&B so that I can just have a couple people at a time and completely cater to them, you know? I'm all about pampering someone when they come to my house. I would love to do that. Unfortunately in this economy it's not in the cards right now! At least not until I win the lottery!

melvin01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melvin01 Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 6:18pm
post #55 of 56

Amen sister!

If I ever played (and actually WON) the lottery, my first thing is to build a decent tennis facility in Austin.

After that, who knows? Maybe I'd travel and sample cuisine from around the world!

I love to bake and cook, too, but boy are prices making it more difficult to do or what? Has anyone priced pecans lately?? I'm hoping no one orders a pecan pie from me for Thanksgiving, I'm not even sure what to charge on that because of the price of the nuts! Too crazy.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 6:31pm
post #56 of 56

I started eating my pancakes with a little peanut butter on them years ago and that's the only way I like them now. YUMMMMMMMY!!! That salty peanut butter with the sweet syrup is heaven!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%