Do You Feel Selfish.....

Lounge By KKC Updated 28 Oct 2008 , 3:40pm by KKC

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 11:34pm
post #31 of 50

I'm not even going to say anything about your husband because if I got started... icon_mad.gif

I take a different attitude toward the picky eating...You don't have to be a restaurant where he places his order, but if he genuinely doesn't like certain foods it might be just that simple. I don't like cabbage, and if anyone tried to force me to eat it I'd be mad. Same with green peppers, asparagus, pickles, etc. Anyway, just make sure that you fix at least one thing that he likes at each meal, make him at least try the other things to be polite, and don't force it. The more you pay attention to his "problem" the worse it will get. If he's well-adjusted and behaves well like you say, this is a minor thing in the grand scheme of life.

And remember, this too shall pass, because I never heard of a picky eater teenage boy.

CakesByJen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByJen2 Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 3:46pm
post #32 of 50

You are NOT being the least bit selfish in wanting time away by yourself! You deserve it! The only one being selfish here is your husband. I can't believe you would cater to his whining like that. I had a co-worker whose husband was like that, demanded she cook every night, and he was too good to eat leftovers. If there were any leftover she would eat them for lunch. He was very selfish and extrmely controlling. I never understood why she put up with it. I cook what *I* want, and they can eat it, or not eat it. If there is any complaining or rude comments, they go to bed without dinner. I usually make an entree and 3 sides, and I try to make sure I plan so that everyone likes at least 2 of the four items. Everyone has to at least have 1-2 bites of everything, but I do understand everyone has some foods they just don't like. For example, my daughter is otherwise a pretty good eater, but just cannot stand seafood, and I get that. So if we have fish or shrimp, she has to eat a couple of bites without comment, but that's all, and after her little brother is finished (he likes seafood and I don't want him to suddenly decide he doesn't because she doesn't) and left the kitchen, she can discreetly go back and heat up some other leftovers from the fridge or make a sandwich.

Now, for my husband, he never, ever complained and would eat just about anything. If he didn't like it, it was usually something new I had tried and I didn't like it, either. Then suddenly in the last year, he has started getting really finicky in his old age and has made the mistake of making a couple of negative comments. And I caught him acting like a child and picking things out, hiding his veggies in his napkin, that kind of crap. I told him he was being childish and setting a very bad example for this kids, and I would not put up with it. If he didn't want to eat what I cooked the way I prepared it, then I would just cook for myself. Before the kids, I would only cook 3 times a week, and we would have leftovers 3 days, and go out once. Now with the kids, we don't usually have enough leftovers for another meal, so he take them for lunch and I generally cook 5 times a week, we go out once, and one day we either have to get fast food because of the kids activities or we go to my moms. I don't cook fancy meal every night. We usually have pasta at least once a week, sometimes frozen pizza.

Back to the getting away... The last three years I have gone to my sisters for a few days to a week by myself for a much needed break. When my husband said something about when did he get to go on vacation by himself, I told him anytime he wanted to go spend a week at his brother's (he really gets on his nerves), he was more than welcome to. He quickly decided he didn't need that kind of "vacation" after all, LOL!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 3:51pm
post #33 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesByJen2

I had a co-worker whose husband was like that, demanded she cook every night, and he was too good to eat leftovers. If there were any leftover she would eat them for lunch.

To me, that's saying, "That food isn't good enough for me ... here, honey, YOU eat it!" icon_confused.gif

Getting away ..... when we were first married, hubby talked about going to Disney but said we'd have to save up so we could afford to take the kids (4 people vs just the 2 of us). I said, "WHy?" He said, "How can we go to Disney without the kids?" I said, "If they get to Disney before they're 30, then they got there sooner than me."

Doing things without the kids, without the hubby is NOT selfish. It's selfish on their part that they stomp their little foot and say that "you can't do it unless *I* get to do it, TOO!" (arms folded over chest, bottom lip sticking out.)

marknelliesmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marknelliesmum Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 10:29pm
post #34 of 50

I'm confused...if there really isn't a problem, like you suggest but contrary to your op then why are we all having this conversation? Your son is a fussy eater but i'm sure he would eat way more than he does if he was given no other choice. Then you would see what he really doesn't like, in which case you could then avoid them. As for your dh, get a grip. This is 2008 not the 1930's he is, or has become a selfish contolling man because you have let him. Get yourself a rota - turn about at making dinner / lunches etc Why should you work and then have to do all the cooking - does he have some kind of allergic reaction to cooking? No just lazyitis! Time you put your foot down honey - act like a doormat and people will treat you like one. You are way too young for this to be the way the rest of your life plays out not to mention the message this sends to your son ( sit on your butt, make demands of your wife and do nothing to help out - oh except clearing out someone elses shoes icon_eek.gif ) You deserve way better than this and its time dh knew this. Tell them both how it's gonna be when you get back (your rules) then go away for your break knowing you have set the ground rules and have a fab break! thumbs_up.gif (rant over icon_rolleyes.gif )

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 11:29pm
post #35 of 50

Hey guys....just got back in town last night and didn't read your posts until now.

Ok so things didn't go as i planned it. To make a long story short, dh didn't want me to go on the trip alone (although he said he was fine with it) so up until the day before i was suppose to leave he gave me so much attitude that i couldn't take it. Everyone in my family told me that i was inconsiderate and that i shouldn't leave my family behind icon_mad.gif So dh & son went with me on my trip icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif He told me that he would stay out of my way and do something one on one things with our son. I did however, go to the spa which i tried my hardest to enjoy but in the back of my mind i was fuming. He said that Orlando is not a place that someone with a family should travel to alone. He said Orlando is a family spot icon_cry.gif Whatever...

I talked to him while we were on our way up there about how i was not his superwoman and that i was not his "mother". He said that he would try to be a better husband and i actually made him cry icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I told him that he was selfish and inconsiderate and that he does not appreciate me and the things i do for him. I told him that if i am not happy then he will definately not be happy. So far he's being good...I know some of you are shaking your heads but i knew that things would probably be worse if i went...oops wasn't finished writing. Anyway, i knew things would be bad if i went even though he didn't like the idea. I talked to him about my son's eating habits and we're working on them together. He agreed to take our son at least one day out of the weekend to do something with him and give me some alone time...lets see how long this is going to last. I can say that i'm not as stressed as i was before i left but things could be better.

One thing i will start doing is every Saturday after i close shop is go home take a quick nap, shower and go do something with my girls. I told him ahead of time so i won't here any B.S....Well thanks everyone for your advice and opinions, i wish i could've came back with some exciting news...i guess i have a lot to learn thumbs_up.gif

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 11:51pm
post #36 of 50

I would say that going by yourself and coming back to the same ol' life is certainly not better than you actually telling DH that things need to change! Don't forget to keep him accountable.

KKC Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 12:10am
post #37 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastryjen

I would say that going by yourself and coming back to the same ol' life is certainly not better than you actually telling DH that things need to change! Don't forget to keep him accountable.

Thanks for that! We had alot of time to talk...i told him that if he went then he'd better be prepared for me to talk and he listen for the 4 hour long drive icon_lol.gif He had no where to go so he had no choice but to listen icon_lol.gif I know this sounds bad but i was so laughing on the inside when i made him cry tapedshut.gif I told him it was about time he cry for a change icon_wink.gif I told my son that things would have to change or he would be sorry. When i picked him up from school he looked at me with those big eyes and long lashes and said 'Mommy can you give me another chance? I'm sorry!' I wanted to cry but i stayed firm and i talked to him for like 30 minutes in the school parking lot. Hopefully they both get it now icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 12:17am
post #38 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kivia

One thing i will start doing is every Saturday after i close shop is go home take a quick nap, shower and go do something with my girls.

We call it "Girls Day Out" .... me, my 30 year old daughter, my 16 year old daughter, and my 6 year old granddaughter! Shopping, lunch, and telling Stupid Husband Stories all day long! It's a blast!!

KKC Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 12:57am
post #39 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

One thing i will start doing is every Saturday after i close shop is go home take a quick nap, shower and go do something with my girls.

We call it "Girls Day Out" .... me, my 30 year old daughter, my 16 year old daughter, and my 6 year old granddaughter! Shopping, lunch, and telling Stupid Husband Stories all day long! It's a blast!!

I like the sound of that lol!!!

KKC Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 12:58am
post #40 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

I like the sound of that lol!!!

SueW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueW Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 1:22am
post #41 of 50

Heck no you are not selfish at all!!!! I find being a mother and wife the hardest job I have even had it is all consuming 7 days a week. I think wanting to be alone is completely natural and probably really good for you. If you can get away alone do it thumbs_up.gif If I had the money to go away alone for a weekend I definatley would icon_biggrin.gif

mandifrye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandifrye Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 2:27am
post #42 of 50

First of all, I want to let you know that I faced some of the problems as you and your DH, when I WAS married to my EX! (Please note the was and ex emphasis! icon_lol.gif ) I spoiled him during the early years, and because I was young and silly, I allowed him to back me into corners. As I matured, I realized that NO ONE will treat me with respect, unless I respect myself. So, I laid down the law, and took up for me for the first time in my life. Please, don't think that I am telling you that you have to get a divorce, that is not at all my intention. (I divorced mainly because he couldn't keep it in his pants! tapedshut.gif ) I am just saying to start putting you before him some of the time. My precious husband and I work as a partnership. He helps me when I need it, and I return the favors. We are better together, than either one of us alone. THAT is what I think a marriage is supposed to be, and I didn't know that until I experienced it! I am glad that you told him how you felt, keep the lines open and stand your ground!

As for your picky eater, I have a seven year old that until two years ago, did the SAME things. Even, the vomitting thing! She has terrible allergies, so I catered to her wants as a younger child. Then, she became this picky, demanding monster when it came to food. I was cooking different meals all of the time. It had to stop, and I had to do it. I did just that, I stopped. I decided what was for dinner (I didn't even ask anyone else what they wanted), I cooked it and either you ate it or you didn't. But, I wasn't cooking anything else! She went to bed hungry 2 nights MAX! (I knew it was okay, she would be up in the morning and I WOULD make sure that she had a breakfast option that she liked) It just clicked, she realized, she would eat or not, it was her choice and she decided. She is still picky, but it doesn't cause the whining or complaining that it used to, now if she doesn't want it, she doesn't eat it. I try, as someone else mentioned, to have at least one thing that she likes. But, only if it goes with the meal, and I won't let her eat tons of it either. She has to taste everything to get a third helping. Otherwise, I felt like I was just letting her continue to do the same thing again!

Sorry for the book, Hope things get better and stand your ground! thumbs_up.gif

Oh, go buy you some shoes! It is called retail therapy, and it really works! icon_wink.gif

KKC Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 3:45am
post #43 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandifrye

First of all, I want to let you know that I faced some of the problems as you and your DH, when I WAS married to my EX! (Please note the was and ex emphasis! icon_lol.gif ) I spoiled him during the early years, and because I was young and silly, I allowed him to back me into corners. As I matured, I realized that NO ONE will treat me with respect, unless I respect myself. So, I laid down the law, and took up for me for the first time in my life. Please, don't think that I am telling you that you have to get a divorce, that is not at all my intention. (I divorced mainly because he couldn't keep it in his pants! tapedshut.gif ) I am just saying to start putting you before him some of the time. My precious husband and I work as a partnership. He helps me when I need it, and I return the favors. We are better together, than either one of us alone. THAT is what I think a marriage is supposed to be, and I didn't know that until I experienced it! I am glad that you told him how you felt, keep the lines open and stand your ground!

As for your picky eater, I have a seven year old that until two years ago, did the SAME things. Even, the vomitting thing! She has terrible allergies, so I catered to her wants as a younger child. Then, she became this picky, demanding monster when it came to food. I was cooking different meals all of the time. It had to stop, and I had to do it. I did just that, I stopped. I decided what was for dinner (I didn't even ask anyone else what they wanted), I cooked it and either you ate it or you didn't. But, I wasn't cooking anything else! She went to bed hungry 2 nights MAX! (I knew it was okay, she would be up in the morning and I WOULD make sure that she had a breakfast option that she liked) It just clicked, she realized, she would eat or not, it was her choice and she decided. She is still picky, but it doesn't cause the whining or complaining that it used to, now if she doesn't want it, she doesn't eat it. I try, as someone else mentioned, to have at least one thing that she likes. But, only if it goes with the meal, and I won't let her eat tons of it either. She has to taste everything to get a third helping. Otherwise, I felt like I was just letting her continue to do the same thing again!

Sorry for the book, Hope things get better and stand your ground! thumbs_up.gif

Oh, go buy you some shoes! It is called retail therapy, and it really works! icon_wink.gif

I totally understand what your saying and i appreciate the advice.

Before i left to go out of town, i got my hair done which cost HIM about $80.00 icon_lol.gif I got my nails done $27.00...new dress and new pair of jeans nothing fancy and both were on sale $52.51...oh and not to mention i bought my son some winter clothes today $335.15...when i came home i told him about the money i spent on the clothes...he wasn't happy but of course he knew better than to say anything icon_lol.gif It felt so darn good. I'm going to get some more shoes that HE will pay out the a$$ for icon_wink.gif Maybe something made by Steve Madden or Michael Kors...and maybe even a matching handbag icon_wink.gif I think i deserve an early Christmas present thumbs_up.gif

mandifrye Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 11:35am
post #44 of 50

Isn't retail therapy FAB! When I have a bad day, I just love to go buy something! I have also learned, through lots of bad days, that I don't have to spend a ton of money for it to work. I can be just as happy with a few new CAKE TOYS! icon_lol.gif

I think that you deserve a great Christmas present. I have been eyeing a new Coach bag, and it is going to be brought by mama "Santa". Hey, I deserve to get something I want to, right? LOL!

Have a great trip!
Mandi

KKC Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 12:20pm
post #45 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandifrye

Isn't retail therapy FAB! When I have a bad day, I just love to go buy something! I have also learned, through lots of bad days, that I don't have to spend a ton of money for it to work. I can be just as happy with a few new CAKE TOYS! icon_lol.gif

I think that you deserve a great Christmas present. I have been eyeing a new Coach bag, and it is going to be brought by mama "Santa". Hey, I deserve to get something I want to, right? LOL!

Have a great trip!
Mandi

I went into the Coach store in the Florida Mall and I saw this hott Fuschia Coach bag and they had one in blue...Handbags and shoes are my weakness and if i don't stay away from them i could get into alot of trouble icon_wink.gif

mandifrye Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 1:22pm
post #46 of 50

Sometimes, trouble is more than worth it! icon_evil.gif

I tend to steere away from trouble, but every now and then, I dive in head first!

icon_biggrin.gif

mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 1:47pm
post #47 of 50

i get all my coach pieces at the outlet store...so much cheaper, and often times, they have the newest pieces.

a couple christmas' ago, my husband let me pick out what i wanted from there. i chose a bag that should have been around $300, i think, and i got it for $125. i also chose a change purse/check book combo, which should have sold for around $125, but got it for $50 or $75.

they also sell them at costco, but they're just as high as the regular store...strange huh? i know this because i bought a coach backpack there, was so proud of getting a good deal, then happened to go onto the website and saw that i actually paid about $10 higher!! i picked up my little handydandy receipt and took that sucker back real quick!!

mandifrye Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 2:16pm
post #48 of 50

I LOVE just about any designer outlet store. I have always had luck when shopping at them. However, we don't have many here. And, a Coach one, you could forget that around where I live! icon_cry.gif

But, we have some good ones for kids - Old Navy, Osh Kosh, Children's Place, ect. I love to get my children clothes that are ADORABLE, but still cheap enough to get ruined. (I have 3 boys and a girl- eventually, they ALL get ruined! icon_lol.gif )

I miss my good ole shopping weekends in Dallas. The "girls" would always take a weekend and hit the road. We always ended up with so much "stuff" that we could barely sit in the Suburban on the way home! Two under two, makes it hard to get away, but someday I will get to do it again! thumbs_up.gif

KKC Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 3:36pm
post #49 of 50

Here are the handbags i saw..hopefully if my husband is a good boy I'll let him buy it for me WILLINGLY icon_lol.gificon_wink.gif
LL
LL

KKC Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 3:40pm
post #50 of 50

Oh and heres the other...
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%