I Need Help!! 3D Goldfish Cake For A Groom!

Decorating By Cakeasyoulikeit Updated 17 Aug 2005 , 5:20pm by MrsMissey

Cakeasyoulikeit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeasyoulikeit Posted 15 Aug 2005 , 3:31pm
post #1 of 11

Hey fellow cake-makers,

I have an order for a 3D goldfish cake (think armadillo cake from "Steel magnolias") for what's turned out to be a groom's cake for a wedding this weekend. She's picking up the cake on Thursday for a Saturday wedding. We'd been emailing about this for a few weeks, but I was under the impression this was for a birthday and just found out it's for a wedding! Yikes! I bought the 3D egg pan and we've agreed on the general design (I'll need to make come royal icing fins), but I just have no idea how to make this realistic looking. I do not have an airbrush or anything like that and am planning to just use buttercream to decorate. Any one have any suggestions or words of encouragement? I am nearly freaking out!! Also, I am not entirely sure WHAT to put the cake on. I am thinking now maybe one of the nice cake boards with blue icing covering most of the base.

I am attaching a pic of the general idea, but she wants a realistic, not cartoonish cake.

Any assistance here would be awesome!!

Angela
LL

10 replies
edcjenv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
edcjenv Posted 15 Aug 2005 , 3:52pm
post #2 of 11

I'm not sure how much help I can offer, but what about streaking the icing bag w/ color to give a realistic effect? luster dust to make it shimmery. hmmmm......

Cakeasyoulikeit Posted 15 Aug 2005 , 4:36pm
post #3 of 11

Is luster dust the same thing as the shimmery sprinkle flakes? If not, what is it?? Never thought about it before.

edited to add:
Ok, just saw another post...obviously not the same thing. But now my question is, how do you know what color to use? Is there one you can just mix in with colored icing? I don't think I have time to order some online for a Wednesday cake, and the nearest cake store is 25 miles (Michaels doesn't sell this as far as I know), so probably out of luck for this cake, but I guess I should know more about this.

edcjenv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
edcjenv Posted 15 Aug 2005 , 4:38pm
post #4 of 11

I've actually never used it before...I know it isn't the same as the flakes because I have used those and not gotten very good results. I know there are a lot of people who have used it on CC, maybe one of them will read this post and offer some assistance????

Cakeasyoulikeit Posted 16 Aug 2005 , 12:03pm
post #5 of 11

I still need help on this...please!! icon_smile.gif

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 16 Aug 2005 , 12:52pm
post #6 of 11

Here are lots of pictures of goldfish (for inspiration!)

http://images.google.com/images?q=goldfish+picture&hl=en&lr=&client=safari&rls=en&sa=N&tab=ii&oi=imagest

I think you are on track with the fins,blue icing on the base and the egg pan. Are you using buttercream? Maybe you could layer the icing starting at the tail of the fish (think scales) applying toward the head using different shades of orange, white, maybe a bit of pale yellow, etc. Hope this helps! icon_smile.gif

Cakeasyoulikeit Posted 17 Aug 2005 , 2:15pm
post #7 of 11

Anyone else?? Yes, i am using buttercream.

dodibug Posted 17 Aug 2005 , 3:19pm
post #8 of 11

Bumping you back up! Take a deep breath! You will do fine! I looked at your cakes and they are beautiful and this one will be great too! If you were able to make the Nemo, you will be able to do this!! Don't let the last minute stress get you!!!!! icon_smile.gif

dodibug Posted 17 Aug 2005 , 3:22pm
post #9 of 11

Oh, what about putting a bit of piping gel on each scale after you put it on? To give it a sheen since you don't have any dust, etc. I'm thinking take the tip of your spatula to make the individual scale and then dab a bit of gel on after? Would that work? icon_smile.gif

Cakeasyoulikeit Posted 17 Aug 2005 , 5:11pm
post #10 of 11

Piping gel on the scales is a good idea. Thanks!

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 17 Aug 2005 , 5:20pm
post #11 of 11

Scales can also be made by using the widest end of any tip and press half of it into the crusted icing. Make one row at a time and offset the next row!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%