I'd Walk A Million Miles For One Of Their . . . .

Decorating By dragonflydreams Updated 29 Oct 2008 , 7:29pm by JEM530

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 12:43pm
post #61 of 111

I'd have to say my grandmothers German Chocolate Cake which she only makes for my birthday or thanksgiving and christmas...with extra coconut filling...yummm!!! This cake does not last a day in the house and everyone fights over who is going to get the last piece. Now i really can't wait for thanksgiving to get here.

Allidsk8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Allidsk8 Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 12:45pm
post #62 of 111

I would walk a million miles for Cooke's Onion Rings from Orleans MA!! They are the best things ever invented. Light and crispy, smothered in ketchup or if you're feeling really bad tartar sauce icon_wink.gif

pianocat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pianocat Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 1:02pm
post #63 of 111

My mom's biscuits and gravy, pinto beans and cornbread, or anything else she made. But, the strangest thing I would want would be (and only a true southener would appreciate this) boiled peanuts (not the kind in a can.)

Swede-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swede-cakes Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 1:20pm
post #64 of 111

Aaah, where do I start...

1) Swedish Applesauce Cake that my Grandma Hanner made for EVERY family member's birthday. We didn't care that it wasn't buttercream like everyone else's family ate. It was layer after layer of light sponge cake, alternating with fresh applesauce and iced with fresh whipped cream. The sucker was around 8" high! (This, from a woman who made reservations for dinner! icon_wink.gif

2) Swedish Rosettes that my Grandpa Hanner would pick up on his way home from work. Crispy, golden and dusted with sugar. Haven't been able to find them anywhere for years.

3) Sunday breakfast at the above G'parents house when I was a child. Big table of food; scrambled eggs, bacon from the oven, buttered rye toast, sliced watermelon and cantaloupe, rasp. and cheese danish, juice, coffee. I miss that big family gathering and lively conversation too!

2) Chestnut stuffing that my Nanny would make for Thanksgiving. She'd roast and peel the chestnuts and, my gosh, the scent was heavenly! My mom and I have each tried to replicate the recipe after my Nanny passed, as she'd never written it down. It's been close but just not the same.

3) Apple cider donuts from Cold Hollow Cider Mill up on Rt. 100 in VT, just outside of Stowe. Hot, sugary, donut ecstasy!

4) A perfect filet mignon with a bit of bernaise and side of asparagus from Capital Grille in Boston.

5) Believe it or not; tuna noodle casserole, baked in the oven with a melty topping of breadcrumb and chunks of cheddar cheese.

Thanks for starting this thread! I see a lot of comfort food as people's faves...and now I have several that I'll be looking up and trying to make. icon_biggrin.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 1:31pm
post #65 of 111

Oooooh!!! Onion rings with tartar sauce.. I thought I was the only freak who liked that.. icon_wink.gif Also.. Ken's extra heavy restaurant mayo on french fries.. I'd buy a gallon jug of it just to have it as you can only get it wholesale.. but then I'd be big as a house with coronary blockages. icon_lol.gif

Apple Cider Donuts with cinnamon and sugar are a fav of mine too. We get them at Applecrest in Hampton Falls.. sooooo good when they are warm and fresh. I used to live a town over from Stowe, VT.. I wish I had known about Cold Hollow Cider Mill. I was young and wasn't schooled in the ways of the donut.. hehehe.

jescapades Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jescapades Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 1:32pm
post #66 of 111

oooh oooh! a cheeseburger in paradise from margaritaville!

a huge deli pickle

Swede-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swede-cakes Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 1:33pm
post #67 of 111

Jeanne, what VT town did you live in? Cold Hollow also makes a TDF pumpkin roll! Ooops, just added another one to my list! icon_lol.gif

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 1:35pm
post #68 of 111

JK, Too funny!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gif I don't blame it on the Polish in you, Must be in the Polish blood though.

Skichic68: Those Rosettes are to die for, JK & I have already hit on that one, (I'll have to hunt up that recipe and make some) icon_rolleyes.gif AND Cold Hollow Cider,...... MMMMMMMMMM!!!! it is only 1/2 hour away from here, might have to make a road trip on Wed. I'll send you a report. thumbs_up.gif

Another one I just thought of, I don't know the name of it, my grandmother calls it "Tomato Casserole" with canned tomatoes, dried up bread, and then bread/cracker crumbs on top baked in the oven till hot and bubbly, and crusty. mmmmmmm!!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 1:38pm
post #69 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommicakes

Another one I just thought of, I don't know the name of it, my grandmother calls it "Tomato Casserole" with canned tomatoes, dried up bread, and then bread/cracker crumbs on top baked in the oven till hot and bubbly, and crusty. mmmmmmm!!!

Sounds like some of the recipes we'd make up ..... making a meal out of whatever was in the cupboard. Tomato juice .... bring to a boil, then drop some homemade dumplins in .... our version of Tomato Dumplins.

Canned chicken mixed in with torn up bread and some chopped onion. TOp with sage and bake for "Chicken Gunk Casserole".

We were the recipient of the gov't foods, too, and that's what most of these dishes were made from. And yes, the peanut butter was the BEST!!!!!!!!!

mommicakes Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 1:46pm
post #70 of 111

Yeah, JK, Spill. I'll see if I can ship some to ya.

Indy, That chicken one sounds yummy!! I'll have to try it, cold weather is coming, and it sounds like it would fit the bill.

Postal_Cakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Postal_Cakemaker Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 1:52pm
post #71 of 111

My dad's green chili turkey casserole
Grandma's chicken and dumplings
US Navy stuffing
Grandma's kruggle
5 Guys hamburger

indydebi Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 1:54pm
post #72 of 111

mommi, it really is good ... and comes out kinda like thanksgiving stuffing. A little gooey in the middle and crispy on the top, but that's what makes it good!

As a matter of fact, my husband loves it, but he persists in asking me to make "that chicken goo thing". I give him my famous Bite My A$$ look and tell him that I don't make anything that is described as "Goo" and until he learns to call it by the right name, then he's never getting it again. icon_twisted.gif

kaciealexa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaciealexa Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 1:57pm
post #73 of 111

there is a little diner near where my daughter lives, call the 'fleetwood diner' in kentwood michigan that makes this awesome stuff called 'hippie hash'... it is homemade fried potatoes, covered with grilled tomatoes, onions, green pepper, brocolli and feta cheese...it's to die for!!

mommicakes Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 2:02pm
post #74 of 111

Indy, that is funny. I would refuse to do that too. Isn't that what we try to teach kids these days, "call it what it is or you don't get it". icon_lol.gif

Okay Chocolate Bunnies, let us know what kruggle is????? sounds interesting.

deijha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deijha Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 2:09pm
post #75 of 111

Its been fun reading all these great memories and the food to. Mine has to be my Aunt's Black Raspberry pie. Oh my gosh, we all would get our peice and hide it because if you waited there was none left. Also, my mom's fried potatoes, I cannot fry them the way she did, and my husband often tells me that my mom's were better. Mom just doesn't cook like she used to and I really miss it. Oh I can't forget my Grandma's Chocolate pie. Gosh this really does make ya hungry.
Jeanne

FromScratch Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 2:09pm
post #76 of 111

LOL.. I lived in Waterbury.. right near the Ben & Jerry's factory.. (and the state assylum *whoot*). I had my first restaurant job there.. at some soup and samitch place.. I wish I could remember the name of it. I looked it up and I think it's The Park Row.. but I am not sure.. this was about 12 years ago now. I also worked in Fayston at Jay's Restaurant.. I'd love to go and see if they are both still there. The owner of Jay's is the one who really sparked my confidence in the kitchen.. I owe him a lot.

indydebi Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 2:11pm
post #77 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by deijha

Also, my mom's fried potatoes, I cannot fry them the way she did, and my husband often tells me that my mom's were better. Mom

Do you use a cast-iron skillet? Because you just can't get good fried potatoes unless you use a cast-iron skillet! thumbs_up.gif

deijha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deijha Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 2:21pm
post #78 of 111

ndydebi, you are so right. Thats what she used, she would have 3 skillets going at the same time, sometimes.
Jeanne

kettlevalleygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kettlevalleygirl Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 2:28pm
post #79 of 111

Ok, I can't resist joining in, it is after 7 in the morning and I am salivating at the thought of Michael Buble, Southern Cooking and Polish food!
Ok, Michael is from my city.....great guy, have his disc in my car for long drives, along with satelite radio - Martha & Cosmo channels!
My husband has taken me to New Orleans, Memphis, Nashville, Charleston, Savanahh, and Hilton Head....I love CRAB CAKES!!! I think I have eaten my way through America eating crab cakes....Actually I also love southern cooking, we ate at Cracker Barrell in Nashville across from Oprayland mall, I think I ate all 5 plates they served me icon_eek.gif !!! Every meal came with grits, pancakes etc....
OK, although I wasn't born in Poland, I love the food, my mom and I went to see our relatives in 2001, and also ate our way through Poland, our relatives houses....we were supposed to stay a few days here and there and breakfast ran into lunch and then dinner...We also went to a small "hole in the wall" type restaurant in Krakow, for perogies, I swear they were amazing....in fact, my cousins often remark that the flour must be different to produce such a different, delicious tasting perogy!!
In fact my mom's maiden is Perog!! must be destiny!!
We also just ate our way through New York! We stayed near Time Square and ate Italian every night!!!!!

mommicakes Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 2:41pm
post #80 of 111

Alright JK, I'll look when I hit the road over in Waterbury on Wed, and let you know if The Park Row is there or not.

jessielou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessielou Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 2:46pm
post #81 of 111

hmmm...my grandmas fried chicken...cornbread stuffing and of course apple butter!! Yummy!

my childhood best friends moms delicious flour tortillas

and right now..Custards Last Stand pumpkin concrete

liapsim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liapsim Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 4:22pm
post #82 of 111

Okay...I thought of some more comfort food so I had to come back to the thread!!!

We went to the Gwinnett County Fair every year when I was little and I LOVE the polish dogs with peppers, onion, and mustard. And an ear of roasted corn. Now we make sure to make it every year, so that we can have that again and oh yeah, to take my kids to the fair!

My grandma is German so she made the best potato cakes in the world....sure do miss her and her potato cakes, wish I had gotten the recipe!

My great grandma is still alive (at 99) and has always made me a jar of pickeled peaches every year. I grew up on them! All it is is peeled peaches, water, lots of salt, and hot peppers. It sounds disgusting, but it's sooooo good!!!

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 5:03pm
post #83 of 111

What a great thread !
I miss my grammas choc chip cookies warm out of the oven, and her homemade rolls on the Holidays!
She always cooked the Thanksiving Turkey, It was beautiful !and so delicious !
I miss my dads bread dressing and his prune stuffing. And his SOS ( yep shit on a shingle ) also known as creamed hamburger! LOL!
He always cooked everthing in a cast-iron skillet,anad sweet tea my mom made the best ever.
and my aunts cherry cheesecake at Christmas, and my dad would always stop after work and pick up chili cheese dogs from a little hole in the wall called Hot Dog Johns. They were fantastic!
And mom and dad would always make us hot choc on cold winter nights and they would leave choc lumps in it! It was the best! And the chicken and home made noodles they would roll out on a big wood noodle board ( I still have ). Those were the days !!

lanibird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanibird Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 5:35pm
post #84 of 111

Now that I'm totally hungry, I'll share too:

My Grandma's meringue cookies, pineapple upside-down cake, and leche flan. I can make them all, but it's not the same.

Also, her Lumpia Shanghai (Filipino spring rolls) with pork, shrimp, and water chestnuts, wrapped thin, fried all crunchy... mmmmm.... I sure do hope my Dad can convince her to come visit for Thanksgiving! icon_twisted.gif

I'd walk about a billion miles for a Chantico from Starbucks. I was so mad when they stopped selling those.

Carnation Hot Chocolate, whatever the formula was in the early 80's. I remember drinking it when I was little, and it just doesn't taste the same as today.

The smothered (in green chile & cheese) hashbrowns, fresh tortillas, and sweet rolls from Frontier in Albuquerque. I do so love when I go home for visits! icon_biggrin.gif

In high school we used to go to this hole-in-the-wall, total dive called Ernie's for breakfast. For 99 cents you could get the breakfast special: one egg any way you like it, hash browns, green chile & a tortilla, and you could double it or triple it if you wanted. I don't know what was different about their green chile sauce, but man was it good! I was sad when it switched owners and everything changed.

mmmmmmmm....

FromScratch Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 7:47pm
post #85 of 111

Cool Donna.. I think it was a different owner when I was there and a different name.. but looking at the pictures of the inside it's very familliar. They made awesome sandwiches and soups (and breakfast too) all homemade from scratch. Sounds like they use the same recipes still. It was down a little side street off of Maint Street near the train station.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 3:27am
post #86 of 111

cheesecake (any flavor) from Junior's restaurant in Brooklyn ,NY!

One of the very few things I miss about living there from 9 years ago.

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 9:40am
post #87 of 111

. . . hey, how about some of you "overseas folks" . . . I would love to hear what some of your "comfort foods" are . . .

mgigglin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgigglin Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 9:57am
post #88 of 111

I look forward to my best friend's apple turnovers every fall!! Fresh picked apples right from the tree!! Oh my mouth is watering now.... I haven't had one yet!! icon_cry.gif

oh and I would walk across town for my mom's cornbread stuffing that she only makes during the holidays!!! I can't wait!! YIPPEEEEE!!!!

Kim

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 10:51pm
post #89 of 111

I have so many!:
My mom's: chicken & dumplins, sweet tea, fried green tomatoes, blackberry cobbler, pecan pie
My sister's: bigger than your fist cat heads (biscuits) & gravy
My great aunt's: chocolate pie
My great grandmother's:fresh fried corn, apple butter

Many have tried to replicate these recipes & all have failed (including me). I'm afraid that good home cooking is becoming a lost articon_sad.gif

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 10:59pm
post #90 of 111

My dads corn fritters ! And his chicken vesuveo( sp ) my grammas sliced peaches and fresh whipped cream !
My uncles homemade ice cream/ floats .

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%