Understanding The Laws In Nc For Home Kitchen Inspections

Business By sweetlayers Updated 18 Oct 2008 , 12:08am by snarkybaker

sweetlayers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlayers Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 10:43pm
post #1 of 2

Ok, I just received my information from the Food and Drug Protection Division. On the letter it says, "...food products requiring refrigeration or freezing connont be produced in the home kitchen..."

OK, does that mean I need to take my cream cheese frosting off my menu? Also, what about filllings with fruit? or milk?

Also with regards to packaging; I am a semi-homemade cake mix extender baker. Am I just supposed to write everything off the cakemix box plus everything I use? It says I have to, put the name and address of the "firm or party responsible for the manufacture of the product" also, does that mean my address? Or the address of my cake mix brand and ingredients?

I know this is long, but your knowledge is greatly needed and will be appreciated.


1 reply
snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 12:08am
post #2 of 2

You only have to label and list ingredients if you are going to sell "packaged food", ie boxes of muffins, at say, the Farmers Market, or to a restaurant for resale.

As a home baker in North Carolina, you cannot provide anything not considered "shelf stable". That means no dairy and no fresh fruit.

If you choose not to label your food and sell it as " packaged food", then be sure to collect the "prepared food" tax rate of 6.75% plus and local sales tax in lieu of the 2% " food" tax.

Quote by @%username% on %date%