Freezing Buttercream?

Decorating By marag Updated 16 Oct 2008 , 2:49am by jennifer7777

marag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marag Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 9:17pm
post #1 of 6

I assume I can freeze a batch of buttercream (50/50 butter/shortening), but I have a few questions...

1. How long can it stay frozen?

2. Am I supposed to store it any certain way... other than a plastic container?

3. What do I need to do when I'm ready to use it?

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

Mara

5 replies
taxnerd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
taxnerd Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 11:11pm
post #2 of 6

If often freeze my icing. It will stay fresh for about 2-3 months in the freezer. After that, it starts to taste freezer burned or it takes on a sort of plastic taste if it's stored in plastic.

I store mine in either a plastic container or wrap it in plastic wrap and then put it in a ziploc.

When you're ready to use it, thaw it completely on your countertop or refrigerator. Do not microwave it because it's too easy to overdo it and start it melting. Sometimes as it thaws some of the butterfat separates a little. You should be able to just stir this back in before you use it.

messy_chef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
messy_chef Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 12:19am
post #3 of 6

I just put mine in sandwich bags and then those into freezer bags. They thaw pretty quickly. I smoosh them up in the sandwich bags with my hands and then snip off a corner, pop into a decorating bag, and I'm done. Makes clean up a lot easier, too!

ranbel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ranbel Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 12:37am
post #4 of 6

Messy Chef, I like that idea. I have used sandwich bags for a quick and easy thing or if I am out of parchment triangles..but putting them inside the bag to prevent having such a mess, is a fantastic idea....

Thanks for the tip.

marag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marag Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 2:42am
post #5 of 6

Thanks for the answers, and that great tip about the plastic bags. I have my icing in the fridge that I made yesterday, and will put them in plastic bags to go into the freezer tomorrow!

jennifer7777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer7777 Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 2:49am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by messy_chef

I just put mine in sandwich bags and then those into freezer bags. They thaw pretty quickly. I smoosh them up in the sandwich bags with my hands and then snip off a corner, pop into a decorating bag, and I'm done. Makes clean up a lot easier, too!

This is exactly what I do!!! Started doing it a few months ago, and it is great. I don't put the bags inside of my decorating bag, I just squeeze the icing directly in...it's easy to stripe your bag this way, too. Once I'm done, I just keep all my different colors in their bags in a gallon-size freezer ziploc. The icing thaws very quick on the countertop.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%