Help!! Bc And Greasy Ribbon.........

Decorating By sweetisome Updated 15 Oct 2008 , 7:24pm by leah_s

sweetisome Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetisome Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 10:21pm
post #1 of 11

Can anyone tell me if the IBC or the SMBC will leave grease marks on my ribbon, and if they do what can I do to prevent it....is there a different frosing I can use?

10 replies
TandTHarrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TandTHarrell Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 10:33pm
post #2 of 11

iron the ribbon with some wax paper..
ribbon, wax paper and a sheet on top of the wax paper, iron on low, and the wax from the wax paper will adhere to the ribbon...

azeboi2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
azeboi2005 Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 10:35pm
post #3 of 11

the butter might leave grease marks, all you have to do is line the back of the ribbon with wax paper. cut strips the width & lenght of the ribbon place it on first and then add the ribbon on top. use a little royal icing or melted chocolate to adhere it. hope that helps

lvjan777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lvjan777 Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 10:42pm
post #4 of 11

I read somewhere here to line the ribbon with clear packing tape. It did make the ribbon a little stiff, but it worked for what I needed and no bleed through. The wax paper ideas sound really good too.

dmhart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmhart Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 10:55pm
post #5 of 11

Just take a little crisco and rub down the back of the ribbon so when it gets grease spots it will all blend in. Just grease your ribbon before you put it on and it will all look the same .

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 12:17am
post #6 of 11

Just know that the ribbon will darken when you rub with crisco or any other oil for that matter. If that's not an issue for you than o.k.

I always line my ribbon with tape or wax paper, the one time I didn't and I just layed it on the BC, the entire ribbon darkened and didn't match the design. I had to re-do it.

sweetisome Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetisome Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 3:56pm
post #7 of 11

Thanks for your help...I feel a little dense not having thought of lining the ribbon...sometimes the simplest questionm has the simplest answer. Thanks Ladies!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 4:09pm
post #8 of 11

The best solution is to use edible ribbon. Fabric ribbon isn't really food safe anyway.

luv2cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2cake Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 4:14pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmhart

Just take a little crisco and rub down the back of the ribbon so when it gets grease spots it will all blend in. Just grease your ribbon before you put it on and it will all look the same .

That's basically what I do also, except I use a light spray of PAM instead. And yes, it will darken the color of the ribbon just a bit.

drowsyrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drowsyrn Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 7:16pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

The best solution is to use edible ribbon. Fabric ribbon isn't really food safe anyway.

Where do you get your edible ribbon?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 7:24pm
post #11 of 11

It's fondant. You just roll it out and cut it. There is pre-made fondant ribbon, but it's $$$.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%