Payment For The Cake

Decorating By butterfly831915 Updated 12 Nov 2008 , 4:38am by GI

butterfly831915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly831915 Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 5:11pm
post #31 of 51

Okay, I have called her, the parents, husband, etc... Everyone but her loved the cake and the taste. Her parents stated that if she does not pay by the 22nd they WILL cover the charges and then refuse any more help for her finacially as they gave her the money to give to me. Funny, she never mentioned that!! They said how sorry they were and gave me about 10 phone #'s of friends who had the cake and wanted to order one. Money first from now on, friends or family beware, I'm not going to be messed with. Even my regular job has me make the birthday cakes every month and they pay me so they can too. Thank you all so much. She has been dropped off the list and I am so done with it all. Without CC members I would have surly lost mind... icon_eek.gif My family is not pleased with my way but they will have to deal...

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 5:41pm
post #32 of 51

WOW This bride sounds like she tried to pull on over on you and her parents! What a crappy person. She took the money and ran and then tried to make it your fault--not cool.

Its a good thinkg that you called her parents. It a shame that they have to pay for the cake, AGAIN! What a horrible daughter.

Jocmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jocmom Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 6:00pm
post #33 of 51

Wow! Sounds like something my BIL would pull. His apartment was broken into years ago, so my in-laws gave him the cash to buy renter's insurance. A few months later there was a fire in the apartment above them. They had lots of water damage and smoke damage. We had given them a bedroom set when they moved into the apartment. While we were helping them move into their new apartment I asked if they needed to know the value of the bedroom set for their insurance claim. BIL and SIL looked guilty . . . then admitted that they'd spent the insurance money on an upgrade to their cable service. icon_confused.gif I thought my husband's head would explode. In-laws didn't look too happy when they found out either.

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 6:04pm
post #34 of 51

Jocmom---all I have to say is WTF???? THey sound like very very very stupid ppl. Who in their right minds does something that retarded? My SIL is the same way. She is 40-something with a 4yr old son and lives at home with my MIL. My other SIL told her she could use her second car---which looks like crap--but still drives decent. My 40-something SIL said NO because it looked ugly. Mind you, she does not have a job and does not receive child support regulary.

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 6:13pm
post #35 of 51

Wow,

Sometimes you only see people's true colors when it comes to cake discounts.

Last year my husband and I decided to sever a friendship with a couple at our church regarding their son's bday cake situation.

I'm sorry you had to "learn a lesson"

It's hard not to get cynical but please remember this girl is unusually selfish and dishonest. Most people honor their word, whether in a contract or not, and appreciate gifts they have received.

previously I have posted that in the future I will handle discounts and free cakes like this...

they should order with the intention to pay full price, then after they have placed the order for the cake they think they will pay for I tell them that I would like to offer the cake as a gift or offer a % discount.

this way they order a cake they think is reasonable for thier budget, instead of acting like greedy kids in a free candy store.

keep caking and don't let this girl take the wind out of your sails.

sweettoothmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 6:29pm
post #36 of 51

I am glad things seem to be working out for you in the long run. A valuable lesson learned the hardest way possible though.

I heard a saying years ago from my grandparents. I live by it today and maybe it applies to cake as well.
"When considering lending money to a friend, first consider which one you value the most." So Basically- If you can afford to lose the money give it DO NOT LEND IT to them. Or you will end up loosing the "friend".

Another solution you could always tell her parents that after further thought it is a gift to thier daughter, your friend and in thier eyes you are the bigger person. I would bet they will send more and more people your way due to your professional manner.
I ask for a deposit of half upon placing the order and the remainder is due one week before the event. If they cancel the deposit is yours to keep (in the contract), I say a week before the event because the day of the event no bride should be thinking of money just a happy wedding. Plus it can be so stressful that day anyway an to have people popping up with thier hand out at every turn seems somewhat wrong.

It will turn out for the best no matter what happens. Just keep your professionalism intact. Your "friend" will certainly be seen in her true light by all those around her.

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 6:31pm
post #37 of 51

Leanne, I really like that idea!

I got burned last year doing a cake for the son of my DH's friend. They loved it, everyone complimented the design. I had told them they could pay me at the party, and I was only charging supplies. His birthday came around this year and I made sure I wasn't available!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 8:29pm
post #38 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettoothmom

Another solution you could always tell her parents that after further thought it is a gift to thier daughter, your friend and in thier eyes you are the bigger person. I would bet they will send more and more people your way due to your professional manner.

This simply enables the bad girl to keep on being bad.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Will work for money.

I don't care if people think I am a big person or a little person or an in between person in this regard about getting paid for my work or getting stiffed for a legitimate transaction. If it's considered little itty bitty weeny teeny to get paid hey call me shrimp.

You go Butterfly Girl!!! Rock on!!! So so so so happy and proud you made that phone call. Good for you. Take the money. You earned it.

signed,
fellow Hoosier

thumbs_up.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 8:35pm
post #39 of 51

butterfly, I'm happy you'll be compensated for the cake after all. When you said the parents already gave the bride the money to pay you and she didn't, I started wondering "could this be my SIL (dh's sister)"

When my SIL married, relatives from my FIL's family took a family picture together, since they don't get together often. My SIL collected money from each Aunt and Uncle who ordered a copy of the photo, so that she could pay the photographer. This was 21 yrs. ago, they're still waiting for their pictures. She is divorced now and avoids any contact with the family. Every year at Thanksgiving there's a running joke with them, they all start asking each other if they received the family picture yet, it's hilarious.

I feel sorry for the poor guy that married this Bride friend of yours, I wish him luck, he'll need it.

Jocmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jocmom Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 1:04am
post #40 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvarezmom

Jocmom---all I have to say is WTF???? THey sound like very very very stupid ppl. Who in their right minds does something that retarded? My SIL is the same way. She is 40-something with a 4yr old son and lives at home with my MIL. My other SIL told her she could use her second car---which looks like crap--but still drives decent. My 40-something SIL said NO because it looked ugly. Mind you, she does not have a job and does not receive child support regulary.

They were young . . . not the brightest . . . but they've been happily married for 20 years now.

sweettoothmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 6:57pm
post #41 of 51

If you choose to chase after the money realize now that cake is worth even more than the original purchase price because you have put forth evenmore effort now in the act of persuing the payment.
Take the high road and keep your own set of moral standards intact. You have gone to the parents etc of the bride. You did what you could. Now that you have put the request out there into the the brides world you should let the ball play.

As far as allowing the bad girl to be bad WELLL she is a grown woman and that ship has sailed. Sounds like she needed a little discipline as a child now it is too late. You have to deal with the end result ( a poor behaved, ill mannered BRAT. YEP I said it a BRAT) and remember dont stoop to thier level. Know every night when you lie down to sleep that you kept your morals and ethics.

Yes I think you deserve to be paid but you dont deserve to have to beg for payment and chase after her and her relatives etc... Keep that chin up high. Consider it an investment in your future.

Horselady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Horselady Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 3:04am
post #42 of 51

I hate people who play the friendship card on someone elses business or hobby. it sucks and it isn't nice at all.

I had someone who wasn't my friend but a family friend become a client but then of course I was friendly with her since she was a client and a family friend...She proceeded to walk all over me, or try too, and I finally put a stop to it.....

She threw a fit and said I should give her special consideration because we were "friends" and that my "business would never grow if I continued to try to seperate friends from business".....

What kind of sound business advice is that??? Bull...

anyway, Weddings make people stupid, but I think it also gives you a chance to see the "real them" so, is this the kind of person you'd want to have around when you needed them, or when things were good and you were sharing whatever? probably not, doesn't seem to me like she deserve any "rewards" as she's too busy swindling them from others...

butterfly831915 Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 1:49am
post #43 of 51

Just thought I'd update you all, the girl I made the cake for did not pay but has changed her story, guess her parents got a hold of her. She now loved the cake and can't believe what she said and that she was sorry. I told her I still expected the money as her parents who should not have to pay twice have agreed to, she informed me she knew this and offered a check. Ha, Hello not born yesterday, declined the check and informed her it had to be cash or money order. Of course this offened her, I explained my position on it. She seemed to understand and I let her know that this was the first and last cake I would do for her without money upfront. She went to get the cash and got in a wreck so still no money but this time I understand as she is still in the hospital. The new husband called and let me know he would be bringing in the money to me as he understood this was a business and that she had done wrong. Couldn't believe to hear this!! We will see if I get the money though. icon_redface.gificon_confused.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 1:52am
post #44 of 51

I am sincerely sorry to here she was in a wreck ... but the first thing that hit me was "karma, baby .... karma!"

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 2:39am
post #45 of 51

So true debi, what goes around comes around

kimmypooh79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmypooh79 Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 3:36am
post #46 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

I'd drop her as a friend.. FAST. She is most certainly NOT your friend to treat you like that.

If you had recieved payment ahead of time you wouldn't be in this position in the first place.

I kind of agree with that. However, I can't go to the grocery store, walk out the door without paying, and then blame the cashier for not stopping me. Her "friend" knew the money was due so she should've paid on her own without butterfly having to say anything to her.

pigninnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pigninnie Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 11:09pm
post #47 of 51

ouch her getting in a wreck is crazy i wish you the best of luck getting the money.

and i think you may have helped a few people learn the lesson get money in hand before delivering or leaving the product

pigninnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pigninnie Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 11:09pm
post #48 of 51

ouch her getting in a wreck is crazy i wish you the best of luck getting the money.

and i think you may have helped a few people learn the lesson get money in hand before delivering or leaving the product

butterfly831915 Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 4:06pm
post #49 of 51

Yea, got the money, guess the whole wreck was just a little finder binder... Still not good but it's life and what happens. She informed me she needed another cake and I told her to try wal-mart, just she'd have to pay for it first. Done with that mess. Lesson learned!!

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 4:29am
post #50 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommakristin

Oh you have no idea!! I have to see her everyday at work!! We are a small office so I see her often during the day. Well guess what? Her daughter is pregnant and is needing a baby shower cake! HMM??? i love her daughter dearly she is actually a friend of mine but there will be no cake without payment first. AND there will be no discounting anything for her! She will pay full price for a cake from me from here on out. If she doesn't like that she can go elsewhere. I am not going to sacrifice my sanity or my cakes anymore!

First time shame on her- the second time shame on me!

I am determined to NOT let there be a second time!

Just a thought - add in your CA$H lost on the first cake. Call it Pain & Suffering if you must. But get what's owed. icon_wink.gif

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 4:38am
post #51 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I am sincerely sorry to here she was in a wreck ... but the first thing that hit me was "karma, baby .... karma!"

Holy Cow that's the first thing I thought of, too! K-A-R-M-A! and guess what, the hospital wants a co-pay$$$ and your In$uran$e card right up front!! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%