Questions About How To Make A Pumpkin Cake From A Bundt Pan

Decorating By cakecastle Updated 15 Oct 2008 , 4:22pm by messy_chef

cakecastle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecastle Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 7:16pm
post #1 of 10

I have seen some wonderful pumpkin cakes on here that were made using a bundt pan. When you stack the 2 bundt cakes together do you turn one down and one up? If not how are they stacked? Also, do I need to use support or are the 2 cakes fine stacked together without dowels? And won't that make very tall slices having 2 bundts together or could you slice it some other way? Sorry, I know I asked lots of questions, I'm just trying to figure out how to go about this since I will be attempting to make a pumpkin with Hello Kitty popping out for my daughter's Halloween themed birthday party in a couple weeks. Thanks for any advice you can offer.

9 replies
SouthernSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SouthernSugar Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 9:13pm
post #2 of 10

I did a pumpkin out of a bundt pan. I baked two, put one upside down on the board and the other right side up on top of that. I did not use any supports in it, just buttercream, mine only had to go from the kitchen to the dining room though so I wasn't worried about it at all. It did make very tall slices but I cut them quite thin and served it that way.

Hope this helps, and also giving you a bump so maybe someone else can help with the support question.

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 9:50pm
post #3 of 10

When I made the Bundt pumpkin that's in my gallery, I put a cake board between the two cakes. (I also made two different flavors of cake.) Because I was transporting it, I put a couple of dowels in the bottom cake to support the upper one. One other thing I did was put a paper towel tube, covered with plastic wrap, into the hole in the center to keep the upper cake from sliding around, off the lower cake. The stem (ice cream cone) was on top of the cardboard tube.

HTH

cakecastle Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 11:14pm
post #4 of 10

Thank you for the replies.

That's exactly what I was wondering, if you could put a board in between to separate the two cakes....so sounds like that would work. I will not be transporting it other than carrying it from the kitchen to the dining room, so I guess I might be ok with no support. Or I might use my cake jacks just in case.

Thanks again! icon_biggrin.gif

JSuzieQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JSuzieQ Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 11:29am
post #5 of 10

I made one last week and I stacked the two together. First, like any cake you stack, you have to level it so it will stack nicely. Mine were both still a little warm, so the moisture in the cake caused them to stick together without icing. I actually used the recipe for Heavenly Pumpkin Spice Cake on here and it was delicious! As for decorating mine, I had a hard time getting my bc to smooth out as well as good coverage, so I ended up making MMF and cut it into 2" strips to put on. It actually turned out very pretty; I used a cupcake for the stem and cut out fondant leaves and vines. Then I covered up the cake board with candy corns! icon_biggrin.gif

JSuzieQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JSuzieQ Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 11:30am
post #6 of 10

I made one last week and I stacked the two together. First, like any cake you stack, you have to level it so it will stack nicely. Mine were both still a little warm, so the moisture in the cake caused them to stick together without icing. I actually used the recipe for Heavenly Pumpkin Spice Cake on here and it was delicious! As for decorating mine, I had a hard time getting my bc to smooth out as well as good coverage, so I ended up making MMF and cut it into 2" strips to put on. It actually turned out very pretty; I used a cupcake for the stem and cut out fondant leaves and vines. Then I covered up the cake board with candy corns! icon_biggrin.gif

cakecastle Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 11:14pm
post #7 of 10

Thank you for the tips! icon_biggrin.gif

havingfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
havingfun Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 1:19pm
post #8 of 10

I would add: be sure both cakes are level, and try to trim off any of the "crust" that forms around top edge of the cake (if you have any). That wonderful part at the top edge that gets nice and brown. If it sticks out the least little bit, when you stack, you will have the dickens of a time covering it with bc. I did not use a cake board between, but did put some dowels in the cake. I transported to a rehearsal dinner. When the cake was cut, it was just cut through the top half and served, then the bottom half was cut and served. Good luck!

cakecastle Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 2:44pm
post #9 of 10

Thank you for the tips! icon_smile.gif

messy_chef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
messy_chef Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 4:22pm
post #10 of 10

I've seen some that look more round than others- do you need to round off the tops and bottoms a bit?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%