Who's In Alabama??

Decorating By Michelle104 Updated 7 Mar 2009 , 5:17am by arsing1

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 5:38pm
post #61 of 72

Hey Nikki! Thanks for the links! I'll be sure to check them out! The job is for you or for hubby? Just wondering... icon_rolleyes.gif

Etta1025 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Etta1025 Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 5:57pm
post #62 of 72

Hi guys. I'm also a bama girl.

Michelle, I think you'll really enjoy the Birmingham area. The great thing about Birmingham is that is feels like a larger city and yet a small town all at the same time. The metro area has lots to do -- plenty of great local restaurants (not just chains!), lots of cultural activities, art gallerys, theaters, boutiques and shopping, good places to go out, etc. But the surrounding areas have that warm, welcoming small town vibe.

And don't fret too much about the football choice -- I remember when I moved to AL in the 5th grade, that was the first question every kid asked. "Are you for Bama or Auburn?" I thought they were nuts. I could have cared less about football then, and I still don't! Of course, that means everyone down here thinks I'm nuts! icon_smile.gif

Tara -- I noticed you're in Daphne. That's where I grew up. Good to see a hometown girl!

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 6:50pm
post #63 of 72

also further north in Huntsville is Lynelle's.. it is AMAZING.. she has retired pans from ages ago for the same price as pans go now... not to mention chocolate molds and cutters!

joylee8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joylee8 Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 11:18pm
post #64 of 72

Hey everyone! I didn't realize there were so many BAMA gals! I am in Mobile also. I have lived here my whole life and love it. Good luck with the move!

knel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knel Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 4:08am
post #65 of 72

My husband's cousin just moved to Calera. She loves it. It is a fairly small, older town. I don't know that it is "run down" so much as it is just an older town. Calera is part of Shelby County, and Shelby has really "stepped it up" over the last year or so- it's really growing. As a part of this, they have built a lot of new homes in the Calera area. It is a buyer's market, so really press/pursue that lower price if you do move to the area. Shelby County has a low crime rate; low taxes; school systems seem to be good; convenient to shopping areas without being in the midst of it to live...

I will tell you that one "bad" thing about Calera is that HWY 280 is the main road in and out of there. Traffic can be extremely heavy coming into Birmingham. (just a thought in case you or your husband will be traveling to Bham daily...)

Michelle104 Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 4:05pm
post #66 of 72

Ok guys! I called a financial guy today to start the pre-approval process just to get that out of the way. This is going to be a really dumb question but how do I check out the different school systems? I've just never had to do that before really and kind of feel like an idiot about it.... icon_redface.gif We fly out on fri morning at 730 and arrive in BHM about 1030. I'm so excited to just see the area... icon_lol.gif

Can anyone tell me what the "galleria" is? icon_confused.gif Also, are there really any areas that we should kind of try to stay away from? As far as crime rates, family living, etc.???

elainec Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elainec Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 4:16pm
post #67 of 72

Hello, My name is Elaine and I live in Coosada, Alabama, which is just outside of Montgomery, where I grew up. Alabama is a wonderful place to live. In Birmingham, a nice place to live is Alabaster, a suberb of B'ham. Homewood is also a lovely section to live with fantastic schools.
I have a cousin that lives there. Maybe we can meet, once you get here. B'ham is a little over an hour from here. The only drawback for bakers/decorators is that Alabama does not allow home based cake businesses and they are very strict about it. Otherwise, it is great. Oh, and the Galleria is a wonderful two story mall. It is a great place to shop and visit at CHristmas! Welcome to our part of the world!

Etta1025 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Etta1025 Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 4:17pm
post #68 of 72

The galleria is just a really big mall in Hoover.

As long as you stay just south of B'ham city limits, you should be fine as far as crime rates, etc. The southern edge of the city (areas like Highland Avenue and Forest Park) are very nice. They are more diverse and have more of a "city living" feel. Then, as you head south you run into the burbs -- areas like Homewood, Vestavia, Hoover, Pelham, Alabaster. All these areas are nice and shouldn't be a problem. I can't really give advice on the school systems, though. I don't have any kids.

Good luck!

Michelle104 Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 5:04pm
post #69 of 72

I think that's pretty much where we're looking...south of BHM. I guess I'll kind of know a little better after this wekend where I'm talking about! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif If we do get down there I would LOVE to mrrt you Elaine!!

Now I'm just waiting to hear back from the finance guy to see what we qualify for... icon_eek.gificon_cry.gif Pins and needless....not the worst credit ever but definitely not the best either..... icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_redface.gif

tesh_diggins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesh_diggins Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 1:29am
post #70 of 72

Hi. Like so many others here, I didn't realize that there are so many people from Alabama on here. I am from Tuscaloosa, ROLL TIDE!!!!!!! I have worked in a "big box" bakery for a few years and now that I'm not working there anymore, I would love to branch out on my own. The only problem with that is that I have no idea how to price my cakes. Can any of you guys help me with that? Thanks so much!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

elainec Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elainec Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 2:06am
post #71 of 72

Alabama does not allow for home bakeries and there is a huge fine! Do not advertise and sell only to family and friends and you are okay. My friend and I were looking to open a small cake shop but you have to jump through hoops with the health dept. You would have to have a free standing buiding set up like your big box bakerie. Another words, deep financial pockets! We just decided that I have friends that like my cakes and I give away alot as a ministry and that God was closing a door. By the way, my daughter went to UA. I have one UA and one AU.

arsing1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arsing1 Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 5:17am
post #72 of 72

Hi Michelle! My name is April and I live in Calera! We've been here for a year and a half and love it. It's far enough away to be quiet and calm but still close enough to everything that you need.

I'm a little late finding this post. Did ya'll ever move? What area of town did you end up in? I would love to get together with some fellow cakers. I'm a stay at home mom so adult conversation is desperately needed! lol

Oh....before I forget.....ROOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLL TIDE ROLL!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%