Ka Artisan -- Good Price Or No?

Decorating By brendaonline Updated 10 Oct 2008 , 2:55pm by nissi01

brendaonline Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brendaonline Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 9:53pm
post #1 of 21

I've been putting off getting a stand mixer because I'm probably going to stay a hobbyist and my hand mixer is usually good enough. And frankly I don't have storage space, at all, for a stand mixer, either. And the counters are already full of appliances, which I hate.

However, with Linens & Things going out of business they currently have Artisans at around $229 or so. If there's no way I'd find any equivalent price and this is a great deal, I might reconsider the storage issue. Or if it's not, I'll continue to wait until I get the space and get the Costco Pro.

I'm thinking of waiting another week or two to see if there are more price drops, even though they are getting pretty picked over, just because I don't really want to get one right now unless it's just an unbelievable deal.

I'm also not thrilled with LnT having raised their prices a bit on things before they started to do the discounting. Honestly, they've been "going out of business" for a couple months now, and the prices are just now getting to be equivalent or better than sale prices have been.

Any thoughts, about the model preferences as well as the price?

20 replies
lizziegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizziegirl Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 10:32pm
post #2 of 21

I guess it's a pretty good price. I got mine from Lowes last year for 150.00. I'have never seen it go that low again anywhere else. You might want to wait and see if it goes down during the hollidays

lizziegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizziegirl Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 10:32pm
post #3 of 21

I guess it's a pretty good price. I got mine from Lowes last year for 150.00. I'have never seen it go that low again anywhere else. You might want to wait and see if it goes down during the hollidays

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 11:01pm
post #4 of 21

I don't think $229 is such a steal...You can get them for $240 at Bed, Bath and Beyond if you use the 20% coupon, and in that case for only $10 more it's returnable if you have a problem with it, rather than a final sale at a store that is going out of business. I think you were wise to follow your instincts and wait. For $150 I'd snap it up, but $229?? Eh.

I know that Lowe's price isn't really representative of a true sale price, wasn't that due to an advertising glitch that they honored? I remembered that buying frenzy last year! icon_lol.gif

Anyway regardless of the LnT issue, I highly recommend a KA stand mixer. DH bought one for me a year or two before I got into cakes. I'll admit I rarely used it for the first year, but now I use that baby all of the time, and I too am a hobbyist. It allowed me to try recipes that I never would have touched with a hand mixer, and the quality of my baked goods just skyrocketed as a result. It's just a great tool, and you know you don't HAVE to keep it on the counter. I used to keep mine under the sink (poor thing).

allycatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allycatt Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 11:52pm
post #5 of 21

I bought mine from Kohl's this week. It was $299.00, but I had a 30% off coupon which brought it down to about $212.00. I noticed in the flyer tonight it is now on sale for $249. Wish my 30% coupon didn't expire.

Like you, this is more of a hobby and I'm having a hard time justifying the $$$, so the box is still sitting in my car. icon_lol.gif

By coincidence my hand mixer officially died the other night while making my hubby"s birthday cake. I'm thinking maybe that is a sign from above to KEEP the mixer. We'll see.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 4:00am
post #6 of 21

allycatt,

KEEP IT KEEP IT KEEP IT!!!

icon_biggrin.gif

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 4:15am
post #7 of 21

I adore my mixer. Absolutely adorUse it just about everyday, not only for baking.

If your trying to keep things cheap, check craigslist. there are almost always used ones insanely cheap. If your ok with a used mixer, something in good condition that you can give a thourough cleaning, that may be a good option

chrissy410 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissy410 Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 4:27am
post #8 of 21

I don't know if you are able to wait or if you need it for holiday baking, but I got a really nice KA 5qt for 199.99 (regular 349.99) on the day after Thanksgiving sale. I was SO excited and it has been really great! I knew there would be really great sales so I just waited and I was happy that I did!

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 4:49am
post #9 of 21

Ohh, I agree with Chrissy, Black friday always has amazing deals. (I got up at 5am last year, walked from my hotel to the mall in downtown Sacramento, shopped my rear off and was back by 8am. hehehe)
One more thought. I don't know where you are located, but sometimes locally owned stores will have better deals (versus chain stores) I know a hardware store in my hometown of Chico, CA that sells KA for 175 year round. It's just always been their price.

Skirt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skirt Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 5:37am
post #10 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceshell

I used to keep mine under the sink (poor thing).

Shame on you. Shame shame shame on you.

Personally, as soon as I had a job that allowed me to buy one, I did. NOT new shoes, not a new coat, not a vacation. A Kitchen Aid. I donated it to my mother when I moved to Europe. So then I bought one there for the equivalent of close to $700.00. I know I know. But I HAD to have one. So of course what happens? We move back to the US. And yes, I bought another one! Well, my Dad did (it pays to be Daddy's girl once in a while!) and this time I got the Pro!! YAY! I went to the website to register it and noticed they had an offer for a free bowl and whisk. So double yay! My point? If you got a new one, go to the KA website and see if they have any goodies for you! icon_biggrin.gif

SweetPea0613 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetPea0613 Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 6:06am
post #11 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by allycatt

I bought mine from Kohl's this week. It was $299.00, but I had a 30% off coupon which brought it down to about $212.00. I noticed in the flyer tonight it is now on sale for $249. Wish my 30% coupon didn't expire.

Like you, this is more of a hobby and I'm having a hard time justifying the $$$, so the box is still sitting in my car. icon_lol.gif

By coincidence my hand mixer officially died the other night while making my hubby"s birthday cake. I'm thinking maybe that is a sign from above to KEEP the mixer. We'll see.

Sorry to hijack, but allycatt...how many quarts is your KA...just curious icon_biggrin.gif

brendaonline Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brendaonline Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 7:24am
post #12 of 21

Money is becoming more of an issue between unexpected medical bills and a home maintenance issue that triples in cost every time I ask about having work done, but the real issue is space.

If I woke up to find one under my pillow I'd probably have to leave it boxed in the far corner of the garage by the holiday decorations because there is not one more inch of storage space available in the house. Or I'd have to put it on the floor, moving it every time I wanted to vacuum or walk around, not to mention the cleaning nightmare of ever using it. So I'm thinking it will be a couple more years at least.

Though if 1000 holiday shoppers would magically go to my online store and buy something it would solve every problem -- I could afford to buy one and pay off everything, AND regain enough storage space to put it too! ~~~/wishful thinking~~~~~

allycatt Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 12:32pm
post #13 of 21

Sorry to hijack, but allycatt...how many quarts is your KA...just curious icon_biggrin.gif[/quote]

It's a lovely black 5 Qt, 10 speed Artisan. icon_wink.gif

allycatt Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 12:40pm
post #14 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceshell

allycatt,

KEEP IT KEEP IT KEEP IT!!!

icon_biggrin.gif

I'm thinking I should....an early 40th (augh) birthday present to myself!

thumbs_up.gif

cakelady15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady15 Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 1:00pm
post #15 of 21

I got my pink KA artisan as a Christmas present last year. My boyfriend ignored me when I told him it was on sale on Black Friday for $199 so he ended up paying $299 for it, but that was his faulticon_smile.gif If you can wait, I agree you should wait until the day after Thanksgiving. They always have them on sale. Not always the Artisan, but you can find one of them. I have a KA classic too and it works great, it just isn't as big as the Artisan. I do love them though so if you get a chance to get one you should make space for iticon_smile.gif I have a tiny apartment so my toaster and my George Foreman grill got sentenced to the storage room so I could keep my mixer on the countericon_smile.gif LOL

Jeannem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeannem Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 1:18pm
post #16 of 21

Just an FYI on the height of the mixer. My hubby got me the taller 5 qt and it didn't fit under my cupboards--I had to take it back and get the shorter 4.5 qt tilting head model. Love it!!

daniassis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daniassis Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 1:19pm
post #17 of 21

Dear Brendaonline,

If you want a really great deal on a KA mixer go to the KitchenAid website and look for refurbished mixers. I bought a 5 quart professional heavy duty one that I absolutely LOVE for only $199!!!!!
Right now they are selling the artisan for only $189!!!!!! You can't beat that price, and you don't have to wake up early on Black Friday icon_biggrin.gif
Happy baking!

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 1:22pm
post #18 of 21

allycat,
You might be ale to get a price adjustment from Kohl's. I know they used to do it. Can't hurt to call and ask. Maybe you won't even have to lug the mixer back to the store. The receipt might be sufficient.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 1:35pm
post #19 of 21

I just ordered the Pro 6 from the Kitchenaid outlet, refurbished, with coupon code, for $191 and free shipping...

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 1:38pm
post #20 of 21

Costco had them last week for 160 something.

nissi01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nissi01 Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 2:55pm
post #21 of 21

Hi everyone. I was at Macy's the other night browsing with my Hubby, and they have the KA Pro on sale for $399 (Orig price was 499) and the Artisan for $299 (orig price 399). I thought that the Artisan was still very expensive. So I showed my hubby which one I wanted and which color. (my birthday is in 10 days icon_twisted.gif ) I am going to keep looking around to try and get the best deal.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%